Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I had a 600 for a while and while some things are good (like the screen), I am going through a difficult transition with some of the seemingly lame brained changes in the 650. I know that there are some hacks to change things and hope to create a guide for those transitioning like myself.

1) Volume is lower in the speaker in the ear. Very tough to hear in regular traffic. VolumeCare has done the job to raise the level (albeit also added noticeably more hiss even at lower volumes.)

2) The network on/off button has been removed and now the rightmost button, which used to be for brightness, is now the phone off/hang up button. I'm noticing that I'm hanging up on far too many calls by accident when I try to turn the backlight back on. Is there a way to control this?

3) The shortcuts no longer are a one way press of the four way button. While you can add many more shortcuts it's now a 2, 3, 4 button press just to get anything done. Is there a way to make this simpler to the way it was and limit the number of presses?

4) The call log is no longer that simple press center button twice to get to easily get to the screen and redial the number on top of your log. Now it's right click on the 5 way, press the center button, then go back to the 5 way and press it up (because the call log defaults to "cancel" instead of the top number in your log), and then move in on the call log.

These are the first few that come to mind. I'm sure we can get back to being productive after the initial need to deal with the annoyances of the usual learning curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    3) The shortcuts no longer are a one way press of the four way button. While you can add many more shortcuts it's now a 2, 3, 4 button press just to get anything done. Is there a way to make this simpler to the way it was and limit the number of presses?
    Press the [Menu] key, and the letter of the shortcut. So [menu]-c is copy, [menu]-p is paste, etc.
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    These are the first few that come to mind. I'm sure we can get back to being productive after the initial need to deal with the annoyances of the usual learning curve.
    It seems to me that you spend more time complaining about the 650 and it's "annoyances" than you do coming to the realization that it's NOT the 600. There are plenty of sites and threads here that discuss the differences (changes, upgrades, or some downsides as some have put).

This post belongs in the original "Should you upgrade?" thread.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    2) The network on/off button has been removed and now the rightmost button, which used to be for brightness, is now the phone off/hang up button. I'm noticing that I'm hanging up on far too many calls by accident when I try to turn the backlight back on. Is there a way to control this?

2) It takes a litte practice to make it second nature, but a simple press somewhere on the outer ring of the dpad will turn the backlight back on during a call.

3) By "shortcuts", I suppose you mean the Favorites buttons in the phone app. If you install Butler and enable the K Launch feature, you'll be able to invoke any favorite from within any application with one press of a key.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    It seems to me that you spend more time complaining about the 650 and it's "annoyances" than you do coming to the realization that it's NOT the 600. There are plenty of sites and threads here that discuss the differences (changes, upgrades, or some downsides as some have put).

This post belongs in the original "Should you upgrade?" thread.

Pamela
    Well Pam...

1) It's obviously not significant enough an issue to say one wont upgrade. Plus I'm sure there is a workaround.
    2) Since I already upgraded so it's an issue to everyone who actually has a 650 so that's a moot point.
    3) It is an annoyance, irrespective of the fact that the 650 also offers some positives.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. It was helpful.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gamble
    3) By "shortcuts", I suppose you mean the Favorites buttons in the phone app. If you install Butler and enable the K Launch feature, you'll be able to invoke any favorite from within any application with one press of a key.
    That's a good suggestion and I'll see if that will allow you to have the one button keypresses to launch favorite apps.

Triangle - thanks for the suggestion but my main concern is when driving or performing an activity whereby I don't want/can't use two hands to launch an application.

Regarding the call log, that's a real pain and I'm guessing that would require some actual hacking. I can't imagine why they changed it. Thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gamble
    2) It takes a litte practice to make it second nature, but a simple press somewhere on the outer ring of the dpad will turn the backlight back on during a call.
    Or anywhere on the keypad for that matter...may want to avoid the "number" keys though...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Yes....practice. Seriously though, you'll eventually get tired of hanging up on people and once you realize that the button has a red handset as the icon, you'll stop looking at it as a backlight.

G'luck & Best wishes with your 650!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    ROFL... thanks guys. It's nice to have the new equipment... Yeah, I noticed the red button but it's like clockwork since it's also easily the most convenient button to hit if you're right handed and holding the phone!!!
    Regarding the call log, that's a real pain and I'm guessing that would require some actual hacking. I can't imagine why they changed it. Thanks guys.
    This had been subject to debate since the 650 came out. Some say "Feature", others say "bug." I prefer it myself, since I work graveyard, when I go to view my call log, I automatically default to "cancel", rather than accidentally calling someone at 2AM. To each his own though, I can understand why some hate this.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Triangle - thanks for the suggestion but my main concern is when driving or performing an activity whereby I don't want/can't use two hands to launch an application.
    Slinky, I'm sorry, I missed the part about upgrading from a 600. I never had one, so I didn't know there was a different favorites option.

As for the menu key, doesn't require two hands. Press [menu], then press whatever key you need. press, press. shortcut done. Pretty sweet, actually. But not actually relevant to your original question Sorry about that.
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    ROFL... thanks guys. It's nice to have the new equipment... Yeah, I noticed the red button but it's like clockwork since it's also easily the most convenient button to hit if you're right handed and holding the phone!!!
    Clockwork or habit? I'll go with habit. It took me 1 day to stop hanging up on folks. Guess thats because I made a LOTTTTTTTT of calls that day bragging about my new phone.
    I started feeling like an azz after all that bragging and hanging up......either my bragging had to stop or accidentally hanging up had to stop. I opted for hanging up.

*mumblin* I still BRAG!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    *mumblin* I still BRAG!
    The ego of some posters is nothing short of stunning...

These might be "annoyances," but they seem pretty minor, considering the upgrades in the 650. Come on, how much "extra" effort is it to press a button an extra time or two to get to the favorites or call log? It's just a matter of getting used to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    These might be "annoyances," but they seem pretty minor, considering the upgrades in the 650. Come on, how much "extra" effort is it to press a button an extra time or two to get to the favorites or call log? It's just a matter of getting used to it.
    When I was but a wee baby, I was perfectly happy crawling about on all fours. And then I had to upgrade to the "walk" feature. It sucked. Always falling on my ***, or I'd take two steps and go face first into the floor...talk about annoying!

And don't even get me starting on that whole potty training upgrade...

Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    Clockwork or habit? I'll go with habit. It took me 1 day to stop hanging up on folks. Guess thats because I made a LOTTTTTTTT of calls that day bragging about my new phone.
    I started feeling like an azz after all that bragging and hanging up......either my bragging had to stop or accidentally hanging up had to stop. I opted for hanging up.

*mumblin* I still BRAG!
    Just imagine what the receivers of the hang ups thought?

"Mmm. Bragging, about a phone she can't even use properly!"

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    And don't even get me starting on that whole potty training upgrade...
    Which he is STILL trying to get down.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Which he is STILL trying to get down.

Pamela
    Madam, what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their dungeon, should not concern you.

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Madam, what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their dungeon, should not concern you.
    Did you just call me a madam? Darn it, I command respect!
    DesignExtend.com
    You want to talk about anoying? How about the fact that with the Treo 180/270/300 you could start dialing a number or a name and it could figure out what you were doing. They couldn't do that with the Treo 600 or 650? I know i could get takephone but give me a break, i miss this simple feature! And i'm still working on getting the Treo 650 quirks down, i miss getting the call log with one button too! The launcher i don't miss b/c of the ablility to launch programs with a letter.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast