Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My demo for pTunes is about to expire. Been using it for a while--not a heavy mp3 user. Need it for a fairly limited purpose which I wont bore you all with.

Aside from the better looking interface, I'm really at a loss for any significant advantage over the free Real Player. Shoutcast holds no interest for me-- havent seen any content that really excites me.

If anyone has any benefits to point out that I've overlooked, please enlighten me! Thanks
    With Pocket Tunes, you can sync your playlists with the latest version of Windows Media Player. You can also get better skins for added functionality, depending on how you listen to your music.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    PTunes is nice and all but I'm in agreement w/mc2714. I tried it and didn't find much value in it over Real Player. For my needs, Real was fine. I guess it depends on the users and how you use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mc2714
    Aside from the better looking interface, I'm really at a loss for any significant advantage over the free Real Player.
    I am of the same opinion - realplayer does the job. Load up the SD card, put it on shuffle with realplayer and off I go.

The only thing I wish it did:

When listening to tunes in real, the music stops. When the call ends, the music doesn't resume. Under pTunes and Aero, the music resumes automatically.
  5. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbroberg
    I am of the same opinion - realplayer does the job. Load up the SD card, put it on shuffle with realplayer and off I go.

The only thing I wish it did:

When listening to tunes in real, the music stops. When the call ends, the music doesn't resume. Under pTunes and Aero, the music resumes automatically.
    Yeah, so? Is it important to resume songs where you left off? Ptunes was free (for registering), I'd used Real previously,both are fine as far as I'm concerned, but I seriously doubt I would have paid real money for Ptunes over Real .
    Quote Originally Posted by hsk
    Yeah, so? Is it important to resume songs where you left off?
    Well it would be nice, but clearly not nice enough to spend money on pTunes as I already said. I have a 650 and thus was not given the pTunes bundle.
    Ptunes also supports mp3. wav, wma, and OGG files types. Real player supports mp3, drm'd ra. Plus Ptunes has shoutcast streaming and win media integration. Support for drm wma is also in works in future versions. If you don't need all that or customizable interface, then free Real is for you...

Another option is Aeroplayer fyi...it reportedly has best sound quality output according to many users reviews...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I listen to streaming radio via ptunes pro for 3-6 hours a day (via sprint pcs, so there's no extra data charge). Real player can't do anything like that, as far as I can tell. I guess it boils down to what you want to do.
    can u sync so that whatever songs are in folders in media library will transfer automatically to PTs? how do you do this? thanx...
    don
    One of the main reasons I like ptunes is that you can boost the volume significantly. the other feature for me, that has been pointed out, is you can resume your "song" where you left off. This is good for me because sometimes I record a talk show on my pc and move it to my sd card. On a 60 minute show, it helps to start where you left off. Just depends on what you want it for.
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    I have only used ptunes for a few days after having used real for the life of my treo. I LOVE the streaming from shoutcast. That does it for me.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    On my 600 I used Ptunes, mostly because Real didn't exist until later. Although I enjoyed Shoutcast streaming, I didn't use it as much as I might have because all calls go directly to voicemail when it is on.

Since it was free and already in ROM, I'm using Real on my 650.
    i jus use to listen to MP3s so free Realplayer is all i need. and dont need to Ptunes for mRing to work either.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    This thread makes me wonder: What prevents Real from handling streaming radio like shoutcast?
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for all the feedback. Confirms my suspicion that ptunes won't really add any value for my particular use. Good program, though- if there was an NPR feed for Shoutcast I'd spend the $
  16. jmt
    There are several stations on Shout-cast that stream NPR, their easy to find in the radio station listings
  17.    #17  
    Really? How did I miss that! Apparantly I am too dumb to listen to NPR!

Thanks for the heads-up, jmt
    Is there a way to play MP3s on RP that are in a folder on my SD card? I had all my songs organized into folders based on artist, but then RP says it cant find the songs. But if I put them in the root of my card then it's good, wtf?
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    Thats odd. I use real, and have the following organisation on my SD card:
    Audio/ArtistName/AlbumName/Trackname.mp3
    *sighs* Wish I had checked here last night before I paid for PT. Happened to run into Real today after paying the $27.

*wonders where the ***** icon is*

Then again, Shoutcast did have some cool things, so I guess, I will use it.

Seeing I already paid for it.

LOL
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast