Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    I am seriously considering upgrading to a Verizon smartphone. The Treo 650 is on my list.

    After reading so much here, on howardforums, and other sites, I've come to realize that there is such a wide range of satisfaction levels with the T650. There are many users that seem to have very few, if any, problems with it, even after loading decent amounts of 3rd party apps. Others have continuous problems out of the box, and with multiple replacement handsets afterwards.

    Clearly, there are many PalmOS loyalists here that tolerate the Treo's nuances simply because they are fans of the PalmOS and detest MS and their phone OS'es. Others truely love the device because of the *device* and their particular success with it, regardless of the OS it runs.

    My concern is that if I do choose the T650, I will be one of the unlucky ones who gets one that never works from the start, and end up replacing it several times. I've read horror stories of owners battling between the carrier and Palm, and getting no where with anyone. I do the need features of a smartphone, but I ultimately need reliability. The only software I am interested in adding is the Remote Desktop client software.

    So, what can I expect if I get a Verizon T650? Is there really such a high problem/failure rate? If you own one already, would you chose one again in light of problems you may be having, trying to put aside any bias you have for or against the PalmOS itself?

    I currently have a HP IPAQ/PocketPC with a 1xRTT card that I use for data only. I can honestly say, without bias, that it is no where near being a reliable device. It constantly requires resets, and NO software is installed except what came with it. I am looking to step into something a little more reliable, and something that combines my phone and data device into one. I am willing to put up with little quirks here and there as I realize nothing is perfect. But when I read about issues where the phone can suddenly freeze or lockup just sitting idle scares me. I need my phone to ring during the night if I have a work related emergency, without fear that I missed a call because the OS froze up at 3AM while sitting on my nightstand.

    Now that I have rambled on, anyone care to share their experiences and recommendations?

    Thanks.
  2. #2  
    I've not had any hardware related issues with my VZ Treo650. The only thing about the 650 that I don't like is that the bluetooth is crippled and its strength is mediocre. There are only several bluetooth headsets that really works with it. The only thing I'd recommend is to use you new 650 as is, at factory defaults, for a week before starting to load third-party software. Only add contacts and calendar information as needed under normal operation. Then after that week and when you're satisfied that there are no issues with that phone out of the box then load it up with all the third-party software you need. Test it another week and if you don't like it, return it before the 15 days.

    Also note, currently, there is no Wi-Fi capability on the Treo 650. There are one or two hacks that allows this but others have reported it not working all that great.

    You can always switch to the new Samsung i730 if you find the Treo 650 and Palm OS is not for you.
  3. #3  
    If you are willing to jump into the Palm OS and become a bit of a "techie" in making the thing work the way you want - you will LOVE IT. It's an awesome device.

    If you want a simple, maintenance free device - the Treo is probably not for you.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sdesort
    My concern is that if I do choose the T650, I will be one of the unlucky ones who gets one that never works from the start, and end up replacing it several times. Now that I have rambled on, anyone care to share their experiences and recommendations?
    Anyone who knows me will tell you I have an ever-growing black cloud hovering over me. Whatever will go wrong, DOES go wrong on my end. From personal and work to devices, I have crazy nightmares every day.

    I LOVE my T650 on VZW. I've had few issues, and have experienced no volume problems, nor most other problems many report.

    VZW's Data Center, I think, is top notch, I never have a problem getting support.

    Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamestr
    I've not had any hardware related issues with my VZ Treo650. The only thing about the 650 that I don't like is that the bluetooth is crippled and its strength is mediocre. There are only several bluetooth headsets that really works with it. The only thing I'd recommend is to use you new 650 as is, at factory defaults, for a week before starting to load third-party software. Only add contacts and calendar information as needed under normal operation. Then after that week and when you're satisfied that there are no issues with that phone out of the box then load it up with all the third-party software you need. Test it another week and if you don't like it, return it before the 15 days.

    Also note, currently, there is no Wi-Fi capability on the Treo 650. There are one or two hacks that allows this but others have reported it not working all that great.

    You can always switch to the new Samsung i730 if you find the Treo 650 and Palm OS is not for you.
    I can deal with the minor bluetooth issues. And lack of wifi is a non-issue for me.

    Looked at the Sammy. About twice the price, and still running PPC. Don't know if I want to go down that road again. Not much has changed with the phone interface since PPC2002.

    Thanks for your input!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    If you are willing to jump into the Palm OS and become a bit of a "techie" in making the thing work the way you want - you will LOVE IT. It's an awesome device.
    Don't mind fiddling around to make it work (I'm a tech by profession). As long as it KEEPS working after all is said and done. As I said, I don't want to install much on it at all. Just RDP client, and something like Ringo Pro to have greater flexibility to assign different ringtones to SMS and email addresses.

    Thanks.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Anyone who knows me will tell you I have an ever-growing black cloud hovering over me. Whatever will go wrong, DOES go wrong on my end. From personal and work to devices, I have crazy nightmares every day.
    Wow, so I am not alone in the universe.

    I LOVE my T650 on VZW. I've had few issues, and have experienced no volume problems, nor most other problems many report.

    VZW's Data Center, I think, is top notch, I never have a problem getting support..
    Good to hear. I never really had to call data support at VZW as my 1xRTT card has always worked flawlessly. All of the data-related problems I have had were within the PocketPC itself, not the card.

    Thanks Pamela.
  8. #8  
    I was skeptical about getting the T650 from VZW, myself, but I seriously have had zero issues.

    I don't do Data/Internet/WiFi. I just use it for convergence. I have a few 3rd party utility apps, & a 1GB Card. Signal Meter is a bit low, but I still hold on to calls w/out any issues whatsoever.

    You will want to pay the $9 to get Jeff Gibson's VolumeCare. It sucks that P1 didn't address the volume, but this VolumeCare is necessary if you want good volume from your T650.

    I say jump in & go for it!!! Good Luck!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
  9. #9  
    It is a great device. Sure, some have had hardware problems, but every electronic line has it's share of problems. I bet more people post about the problems then post about the benefits of the 650. That said, if you are willing to read and learn about the Palm OS and some of the supplemental programs, you will love it.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sdesort
    Wow, so I am not alone in the universe.
    If the worst crap always falls on your head, nope, you're not alone.

    Quote Originally Posted by sdesort
    Good to hear. I never really had to call data support at VZW as my 1xRTT card has always worked flawlessly. All of the data-related problems I have had were within the PocketPC itself, not the card.
    During my last tech call I thought of an idea while troubleshooting. The guy asked if I'd mind trying it while he waited so if it worked he could put it as a workaround in the support system. How cool is that?

    Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
  11. #11  
    we have 6 from vzw and all working except boss broke his screen and replacment insurance has yet to provide replacement 4 weeks after the claim, i would be suprised if you could get 1 dunno backorder for insurance
  12.    #12  
    Thanks everyone for all of your input. I think I will probably give the T650 a try.

    Ironically, I contacted 3 stores in my area and not a single T650 was in stock anywhere. And when I login to MyVZW, it is not listed as an available upgrade -- only the new Sammy. So I will have to call and order it over the phone.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sdesort
    Thanks everyone for all of your input. I think I will probably give the T650 a try.

    Ironically, I contacted 3 stores in my area and not a single T650 was in stock anywhere. And when I login to MyVZW, it is not listed as an available upgrade -- only the new Sammy. So I will have to call and order it over the phone.
    You might not want to hear it, but I'd recommend you give Sprint a try. There service is at least as good, if not better than Verizon's and they're a lot cheaper (only $10/mo for data versus $45/mo). Believe me, that $10 is completely worth it. That's half the reason that the Treo is so powerful!! If you consider Sprint's prices, I'll let you know what the other half is...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    You might not want to hear it, but I'd recommend you give Sprint a try. There service is at least as good, if not better than Verizon's and they're a lot cheaper (only $10/mo for data versus $45/mo). Believe me, that $10 is completely worth it. That's half the reason that the Treo is so powerful!! If you consider Sprint's prices, I'll let you know what the other half is...
    I'm on VZ, but I too want to persuade you to go Sprint for the cheaper price. If every VZ customers would just recommend Sprint to new subscribers then maybe VZ would have to lower their prices.

    A month ago, I was at the end of the contract with VZ and was really wanting to go to Sprint but then VZ came out with the Treo 650 and switching 3 lines to Sprint was too costly with the new connection fees and not getting the NE2.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sdesort
    Ironically, I contacted 3 stores in my area and not a single T650 was in stock anywhere. And when I login to MyVZW, it is not listed as an available upgrade -- only the new Sammy. So I will have to call and order it over the phone.

    Found it on verizonwireless.com pretty quickly
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=1741

    I switched to a VZW T650 about two weeks ago. The first phone would lock up after reaching 100% charged. They FedEx'd a replacement to me.... no problems since then. I've loaded a BUNCH of freeware/shareware... I'm very happy. Go for it.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdfruth
    Found it on verizonwireless.com pretty quickly
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=1741
    I know it is on their site when you are just browsing for phones. This would be the correct place to go if I were signing up for a new line and phone. But not for an upgrade. I logged into myVZW, click upgrade my phone, and the Treo is not listed on the upgrade page. So to upgrade and take advantage of my NE2, I will have to call into Telesales.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamestr
    I'm on VZ, but I too want to persuade you to go Sprint for the cheaper price. If every VZ customers would just recommend Sprint to new subscribers then maybe VZ would have to lower their prices.

    A month ago, I was at the end of the contract with VZ and was really wanting to go to Sprint but then VZ came out with the Treo 650 and switching 3 lines to Sprint was too costly with the new connection fees and not getting the NE2.
    Unfortunately, I also have a bunch of lines with them on the account. And while I do qualify for a NE2 credit, the contracts are not up yet. So it would cost a lot to switch over. And Sprint's coverage in my area has some holes in it. Due to the nature of my business, I cannot risk covergage problems. Coverage and reliability is much more important than price.

    Thanks.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sdesort
    Unfortunately, I also have a bunch of lines with them on the account. And while I do qualify for a NE2 credit, the contracts are not up yet. So it would cost a lot to switch over. And Sprint's coverage in my area has some holes in it. Due to the nature of my business, I cannot risk covergage problems. Coverage and reliability is much more important than price.

    Thanks.
    The contract thing IS a PITA. I hate that it always keeps you tied down. Happy Treoing, at least!

Posting Permissions