Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I was wondering about how much chatter interferes with receiving phone calls.

After searching the closes thing I could find was this:

Being "online" does tend to take more on-air time, so there would be more calls going to VM, but how many varies widely depending on usage (of course, Snapper and every other data-centric app will tie up the phone while using data). CDMA phones are far worse with losing calls to VM than GSM phones (perhaps 3-4x as much); on my TMO T-650 with 4 online Mailboxes, I doubt I miss 5% of calls to VM.

So i guess my question is "how often does chatter go 'online'?"

(a) every x minutes (like versamail)
    (b) only whenever new mail is recieved
    (c) some other way that I havn't contemplated

thnx
    Quote Originally Posted by fly888
    (a) every x minutes (like versamail)
    (b) only whenever new mail is recieved
    (c) some other way that I havn't contemplated

thnx
    It all depends on how you have it setup.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    fly888 - mediasi is exactly right.

When you're "online" (getting push), there's on network traffic if something has changed on the server or the occasional checking-in with the server (which is infrequent). If you have it set to check every x minutes, then it's every x minutes. If you use SMS triggers, then it's whenever a trigger happens (or x minutes, since most people using SMS triggers also check on a timed basis). If you have it check manually, then it's whenever you do it.

I said in that part you quoted that being online "tends" to make more on-air time, and that's true. But, depending on how often you check and how good your connection is, it can actually take LESS on-air time. There are LOTS of variables; the best thing to do is see how it works for you.

Marc