View Poll Results: How fast can you input data into your Treo/Palm?? (Select Up To 2)

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thumbboard: Approx 10 wpm or LESS

1 2.44%
  • Thumbboard: Approx 15 wpm

10 24.39%
  • Thumbboard: Approx 20 wpm

7 17.07%
  • Thumbboard: Approx 25 wpm

12 29.27%
  • Thumbboard: Approx 30 wpm

3 7.32%
  • Thumbboard: Approx 35 wpm or MORE

5 12.20%
  • Graffiti: Aprrox 10 wpm or LESS

6 14.63%
  • Graffiti: Aprrox 15 wpm

6 14.63%
  • Graffiti: Aprrox 20 wpm

7 17.07%
  • Graffiti: Aprrox 25 wpm or MORE

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
  1.    #1  
    Take your pick, and tell us how many words per minute you can churn out onto your Palm device (doesn't even need to be a Treo). But as usual, you will need to be honest...no fudging and please select up to 2 answers (1 graffiti, 1 thumbboard).

[NOTE: if you don't know how to measure words per minute, here's what ya do...find a magazine article, newspaper, anything with about 40~50 words of text on there and then time yourself for one minute, copying text (including capitalization and punctuation...if you make an error, you must correct it) to your palm handheld (prolly the treo), then count each character (not word) and divide that number by 5...that's your NET WPM...Congrats!]

I personally don't think anybody with two hands can input more data with Graffiti than the thumbboard. So what is it that forces people to requst Graffiti 1 and Graffiti Anywhere and Teal Script, etc....it's junk. If it's not junk to you, please tell me what Graffiti can do that a thumbboard can't do better.
    Last edited by grndslm; 07/08/2005 at 01:57 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Maybe I should have started it at Thumb: 15 wpm or less so that there could be a Graffiti: 30wpm or more option at the bottom.....

Umm...could the mods change this or does it even matter?? Can anybody do better than 30 wpm in graffiti??
    For a long time I was happy using graffiti, but I was not satisfied with graffiti2. The combination Tungsten|T(3) with the Ultra Thin Keyboard proved to work very well and now I am happy with the keyboard on (in?) the Treo 650. I think I still can write Graffiti, but haven't really used it for almost a year.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I never input text on anything that doesn't have a full 30 + keys keyboard. I never sent sms until I had my treo 600, which is a big deal here in Europe. Graffiti and t9/predictive etc are just not acceptable. I can type extremely fast on any keyboard and the Treo 600/650 one is no exception. I used to use a Psion with my Nokia phone to email back in the old days. Other inputs are ok for typing phone numbers (keypad) or drawing pictures (touchscreen) I guess, but writing "proper" text is a non-started without a "proper" keyboard.
  5.    #5  
    I can't believe how SOME people can type on a keypad....They spend so much time with one thumb and 10 buttons. Unbelievable!
  6.    #6  
    bumping one last time to see if anybody can actually write faster with graffiti than the thumbboard.

Also, I'm still trying to find out what reasons peple have for PREFERRING or CHOSING graffiti 1/2 over the thumbboard. Anybody wanna help me out??

For example...I prefer the thumbboard because I can type at least 2 letters in almost the same time I could draw a letter, considerint there's 2 thumbs & 1 pen...click click and ya got 2 letters. I also like the thumbboard because I can hand it to anybody and they could type virtually as fast as me. I also prefer the thumbboard because I can link each of the 26 letters to a single program and use Butler's Key Launcher to switch inbetween programs with a single press and hold. TOO EASY.

Now your turn ZBoater
    I started my PDA life on a Casio organiser with a thumboard. Man, I could punch out some text on that puppy. When I moved to the Palm platform, I became reasonably proficient with Graffiti I. I hated Graffiti II on my Clie, and now I've come full circle back to the Treo's thumboard.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Just had my treo650 for 9 days. Before that I had a Clie SJ20 and previously Visor Deluxe, so my only experience is Graffiti 1, which I liked. But it's true it's much more efficient to use the thumb pad. Except my 'T key' is more stubborn than the rest. Still, less error rate than Grafitti.
    I was a Palm V user, then switched to Sidekick to Treo 600 to 650. I'd never go back to Graffiti.
    In the old days,I could probably get about 15-20wpm with Graffiti,perhaps more.All the years of using Palms had me to the point that I occasionally found myself writing (pen/paper) as if I were using a Palm,it had become second nature,and was especially helpful during the Vx/OmniSky phase.I found once I started and relied upon Blackberry devices for emails,the sheer volume of time spent replying to emails enhanced my ability to type on tiny keyboards to the point where its almost just as good as my ability to type on a full sized keyboard
    so what are the best settings to get Teal to actually be USABLE on the Treo? Is anyone using it successfully with simple apps like contacts, or Calendar?

Greg

unlocked GSM / T-Mobile / fw ver. 1.23
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusbliss
    so what are the best settings to get Teal to actually be USABLE on the Treo? Is anyone using it successfully with simple apps like contacts, or Calendar?

Greg

unlocked GSM / T-Mobile / fw ver. 1.23
    This really doesn't belong in this thread...

Thumbboard wins hands down...I am well over 40 wpm
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I got the correct settings for Teal to work faster now. It's faster for me than the stupid thumb-typing. <hehe>
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusbliss
    I got the correct settings for Teal to work faster now. It's faster for me than the stupid thumb-typing. <hehe>
    Well...since you didn't vote for a wpm choice for the thumbboard...why don't you just mention it here in this thread?? You couldn't possibly type less than 20 wpm using the thumbboard....unless you're a troll, of course.