Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just bought a brand new(yes I mean never opened) Unlocked/Unbranded(directly from the factory) Treo 650 and I called P1 to see how much of the 1 year warranty it had left on it and they told me that because it was not purchased from PalmOne, that the warranty was void!! I could not beleive it. This phone has never been locked to any carrier and never used(I personally removed the stickers, wrapping,etc). I paid 650 dollars for it. The customer service rep did confirm that my phone was an orignally unlocked/unbranded phone that was purchased in June of 2005. I asked to be transfered to a manager and he told me that it was P1's policy to void the warranty on anything bought from ebay, amazon, etc. Isn't this illegal? Doesn't the manufactuer's warranty have to be honored for at least the first year? There are no carriers involved in this issue, so who else can P1 put the blaim on? Has anyone warrantied a phone they bought of ebay?
    If that is the case then that is truly terrible. However, from the manufacturer's point of view, they don't know where that thing has been. I mean, you say you got it new, and I believe you, but how many people get stuff from eBay that is used, abused or even stolen? That is one of the drawbacks of buying stuff from eBay. If you paid $650 for it, perhaps you should have paid a little bit more and gotten it new from PalmOne. I get stuff cheap from eBay all the time, but I get it REALLY cheap and live with the fact that it may not have warranty.

Good luck!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    If purchased from a non-vendor I can understand Palm refusing to cover it. But legitimate vendors do sell on Ebay. So if the vendor is legit they should cover it. And Amazon we know is legit. So Palm should cover that as well.

It would be unprecedented for Palm not to do so. Every hardware manufacturer covers new purchases under their warrantee that were purchased from a legit reseller.

Palm had record of the device. So even if it went through a 3rd party Palm's warrantee should still cover it.

Maybe you should have tried calling a 2nd time to see if you got a different rep.
    Your title is a bit misleading. P1 doesn't void the warranty if you don't buy it through them. There are many places you can buy a Treo 650 other than P1 and they will honor the warranty.

I can understand why they would not cover something purchased from eBay. It's like the Polar Heart Monitor I have. When I was doing research, I found out that their warranty policy was only in effect if you purchase it through an authorized dealer. There were many places online that sold the model I was looking for but only a few were authorized. I paid a few more bucks and got it from an authorized dealer.

The point is, the manufacturer can set whatever warranty policy they want. That is not illegal.

If your purchased the 650 with your credit card, you might want to check with them. I purchased a Tungsten T3 and a few weeks after the warranty expired, it started malfunctioning. I called my credit card company and had it replaced under their warranty program.
    Almost all consumer electronics state clearly in their warranties that the warranty will only be granted to the original purchaser of the product. What gives you the impression that this is illegal? It is common practice that protects the company from potential abuse.

What I find truly amazing is that you obviously did not do your homework on this subject prior to making a purchase, and yet you have the audacity to blame the company for a mistake that is clearly yours. Go read the warranty and blame yourself.
    Last edited by skillllllz; 07/07/2005 at 11:23 PM.
    Maybe you can educate me on something. I've seen here on the board where everyone wants a Treo with no service, and there are over 200 for sale on Ebay starting for over $200, most over $500, and almost all with bids. Why buy off of ebay and not through a service provider for a lot less? Also, where are all these on ebay coming from? I was at a Cingular Store today (my daughter was getting a new phone), and a guy walked in and bought two of them right there and they had plenty of them.

Also, I would think that a warranty on the phone, as long as it's new, never used, not hot or using aftermarket accessories, that it would be under manufacturers warranty. Why wouldn't it be?
    I know there are laws preventing manufacturers from voiding warranties for use of aftermarket products (ie: car alarms on vehicles,) but I don't know how that affects this situation. You would think they would have to stand behind it. However, this is not the first time I've run into this, I know Sony does this if you do not buy a product from a Sony authorized rep (and getting authorized is a pain in a$$....there's really no logic behind it.)
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    good thing i pay for insurance from verizon.... if the phone is lost/stolen/damaged then i get a new one with a 50 dollar deductable!
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    Almost all consumer electronics state clearly in their warranties that the warranty will only be granted to the original purchaser of the product. What gives you the impression that this is illegal? It is common practice that protects the company from potential abuse.

What I find tuly amazing is that you obviously did not do your homework on this subject prior to making a purchase, and yet you have the audacity to blame the company for a mistake that is clearly yours. Go read the warranty and blame yourself.
    Exactly
    Caveat emptor...
    Quote Originally Posted by on1sony
    good thing i pay for insurance from verizon.... if the phone is lost/stolen/damaged then i get a new one with a 50 dollar deductable!
    Yup...this is where it's at...NO, not Verizon...NOT even carriers' insurance....but INSURANCE, oh yes!!

If you follow this link, I'm pretty sure that you'll be satisfied with what's on the other end: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...state+farm+pap

How many people actually send their phone back to palm versus their insurance company, whether it be carriers' insurance company, or a PAP for "real" insurance company??
    Quote Originally Posted by on1sony
    that is if you can get 1 , we filed claim with ashurion on june 13th have yet to recieve phone on backorder for just about 4 weeks now.
    If you bought it from a carrier (as most people do) the carrier is responsible for warranty issues. This has always been the case with phones. When they break, you don't call Nokia, Sony Ericsson, etc. You call Verizon, Sprint, Cingular, etc.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG
    Maybe you can educate me on something. I've seen here on the board where everyone wants a Treo with no service, and there are over 200 for sale on Ebay starting for over $200, most over $500, and almost all with bids. Why buy off of ebay and not through a service provider for a lot less? Also, where are all these on ebay coming from? I was at a Cingular Store today (my daughter was getting a new phone), and a guy walked in and bought two of them right there and they had plenty of them.

Also, I would think that a warranty on the phone, as long as it's new, never used, not hot or using aftermarket accessories, that it would be under manufacturers warranty. Why wouldn't it be?
    Because I have T-Mobile and I'm not going to go through the hassle of switching cell phone companies, switching away from my partially-grandfathered plan and otherwise very good service, just for a new phone. It's worth paying more for most of us T-Mobilites. I suspect that the vast majority of Cingular people would just get the phone from Cingular, but some want an unlocked unit for international use too and don't want to deal with the hassle of getting unlock codes from very uncooperative reps at Cingular.

As for Sprint, I dunno why people would buy on eBay, except to avoid contract extensions with subsidized handsets.
    NOT TRUE (per VZW).

I just got off the phone with Verizo Customer Service. They indicate that my insurance with Assurion does cover my T650.

What is the source of your information?

Stalker768
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalker768
    NOT TRUE (per VZW).

I just got off the phone with Verizo Customer Service. They indicate that my insurance with Assurion does cover my T650.

What is the source of your information?

Stalker768
    ditto here!!! I specifically called to VZW, when I got my T650, to verify that it IS & WAS covered by Insurance...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    I'd check w/ the insurance company. You can't trust the CS reps, because when your claim gets rejected, they won't be the ones making the decision.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    ...they told me that because it was not purchased from PalmOne, that the warranty was void!!... The customer service rep did confirm that my phone was an originally unlocked/unbranded phone that was purchased in June of 2005. ...P1's policy to void the warranty on anything bought from ebay, amazon, etc. Isn't this illegal?
    The warranty is only valid to the original purchaser. This is normal. E-bay and Amazon both sell used equipment, and this is where the warranty would not apply.

Some companies go the extra mile and extend warranties to any owner up until the warranty period expires. That's a good thing, but hardly required by law, and only happens if a company sees an advantage in the marketplace to doing so.

I hope I added a little clarity to the answer.
    But what if you brought new from Amazon directly? Or brought from an authorized Palm reseller on Ebay?
    Deal is this....Authorized Reseller (via eBay, Sprint, wherever) = warranty fully valid
    Non-authorized reseller = no warranty.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast