Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I agree with Darnell. Remember, both Calif and Fed consumer protection law state warranty is not breached (by whom the product is purchased from), providing the purchase is from a auth'd provider/reseller/merchant, and no other conditions exist to void/breach the warranty by the purchaser.

My discoveries over the decades have led me to my strong opinion that most customer service folks, sometimes in the same state and sometimes not as you are calling from, know virtually nothing about:

1. in depth (legal) warranty policy enforcement and or
    2. consumer protection law

I can't recall how many times I have had discussions with such individuals, who don't know that they don't know, but think they do and so (by lack of knowledge/expertise) mis-state the issues. I will only stay on the line with such a person for a very short time (1-3 minutes). Most times even the department heads, other than their legal departments, don't know the laws/protections either. Sad but true.

Additionally, sometimes these customer serivice folks will also make 'records' of your call, and since they do not really understand/well comprehend the issues, put into the system erroneous/incorrect/misleading information, such that when you call again, if the new customer folks look at the old call information, they too may get off track and go the wrong direction.

If your product is a new product, you have a receipt, and purchased from a reputible dealer, no matter ebay or other, in Calif your warranty is as per the 'Limited Warranty" doc that came with your product. (and is in most states).

Ciao,

Maria
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecostarica
    ...If your product is a new product, you have a receipt, and purchased from a reputible dealer, no matter ebay or other, in Calif your warranty is as per the 'Limited Warranty" doc that came with your product. (and is in most states)...
    Well that is part of the problem - a "reputable" dealer could be anyone. An "authorized" dealer is someone authorized by palmOne to distribute their products. If someone off eBay gets Treos cheap from an "authorized" dealer and resells them on ebay, they themselves are not authorized. A manufacturer has to have some control over how its product is distributed if it is going to cover warranty claims. Otherwise the potential for abuse it just too great.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    You're all forgetting that this phone is pretty solidly built...I could only imagine a very small percentage of people could claim a manufacturer's defect with this product. Most of the time you need it replaced, it's broken, lost, or stolen....which is where the manufacturer's warranty don't mattaz no mo'. Hmm....prolly been like a billion to one ratio of insurance claims to manufacturer's defects.

Get the State Farm Insurance. Saves you money, plus gives you cash in head to buy whatever cell phone you want if another better phone is out (the Treo 700, maybe?).
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    You're all forgetting that this phone is pretty solidly built...I could only imagine a very small percentage of people could claim a manufacturer's defect with this product.
    Spoken like a true first time Treo owning college kid from a small town.

Trust someone that has owned Treos since the T300, they have their problems. Most work fine, but a good number have issues.

Which is why LockLine raised their deductible on them because of all the returns.
    To the originator of this thread. Read your warranty. If you are in Calif, you have one year, either express (written) warranty, or implied (non-written) warranty, and then covered by Calif consumer law. Check your own state laws. If a seller, through ebay, or whom ever, has a retail sellers permit, to sell Treos (electronic equip), then they are licensed by their state. Many to most of the retailers through ebay, or whomever, have such sellers permits. That, or coarse, excludes private sellers.

Best of research and learning.

Maria
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Spoken like a true first time Treo owning college kid from a small town.
    Are you serious, dude? You're retarded for bringing up something as irrelevant as that in a conversation about insurance/phone build...might I ask how old you are or where your from?? Oh wait, I don't give a crap...'cause we're talking about insurance.

Trust someone that has owned Treos since the T300, they have their problems. Most work fine, but a good number have issues.

Which is why LockLine raised their deductible on them because of all the returns.
    Thanks for your history with the Treo brand and the history of the insurance. I can tell that you have good taste in phones.

Wanna know why? Psst...'cause I had that same phone!! And the 600, too, ya *****. What makes you think I haven't owned other Treos before?? Don't get me wrong, I'm a broke a$$ Missisippian college kid and all (I shop at the thrift store exclusively and save almost all my recreational money for these phones, accessories, applications, etc)... but if you haven't noticed I'm just as intelligent as the people who used m500s (well, maybe not that intelligent...still can't figure out how they used graffiti for any practical purposes). I'm certainly glad that I've spent my money on every Sprint Treo phone, though, because I easily think that I get my money's worth each time....it's amazing to me why everybody doesn't have a smartphone by now. I guess they're waiting for Apple. Or was it Palm Linux?? Dangit, one of 'em needs to hurry up.

BUT ANYWAY...to everybody but Darnell, the 650 is of solid and incredible build quality. I must have gone through about 5 of those damn 300s (but we weren't even talking about 300s were we, Darnell?), 'til I got the 600, dropped it on the ground face first, and picked it up to discover the screen was shattered with hints of yellow, purple, and black. First and only 600 accident and Sprint tells me that I had used the insurance too much for the 300 (it apparently says no more than 2 in a year, which the reps disregarded for tons of other 300 owners whose flip lids broke a hundred times). But the 600 looked of solid build and the 650 is most certainly of solid build (I've dropped it more than 10 times, prolly closer to 15).

I repeat, there will be more insurance claims filed than manufacturer's defects...many more.
    I'm a broke a$$ Missisippian college kid and all (I shop at the thrift store exclusively and save almost all my recreational money for these phones, accessories, applications, etc)... but if you haven't noticed I'm just as intelligent as the people who used m500s
    Most people with m500s know a little about sound financial management and if in your shoes would spend their money more wisely. But blow your money, that's your choice.

Not sure what inspires you to treat the Treo like a golden calf, but at least you help show others I'm not the Treo-head they thought I WAS .

The device is built well, but has a good share of defects. If you were around in the T600 days you would have known about the entire ESN range of T600s that were defective. Those on top of others that had their issues.

I have doubts about your stated history with the device. (Or maybe since you were not here you simply didn't know...)
    Last edited by darnell; 07/08/2005 at 10:43 PM.
    Most people with m500s know a little about sound financial management and if in your shoes would spend their money more wisely. But blow your money, that's your choice.
    Most people with m500s have also gotten their college degree. Soon enough, man...soon enough.

Ain't no way you're gonna tell me that if in my financial situation an intelligent person would spend their money differently. An Ipod costs like $300, but this gives me so much more than an Ipod

I'm sorry to hear that you don't think you spent your money wisely. I on the other hand do. Having a phone with twice the battery life of other phones, better voice quality (IMO), 6 times as many pixels on the screen as another phone, a camera actually worth of saving/sharing pictures, a keyboard to chat with friends or enter data like homework/events, a voice recorder for memos, a movie player for solitude, a music player to help me study or workout. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? You don't think all that's worth the $600 - $700 I spent (which includes accessories and a small number of apps)?? Oh yea, plus I get the internet everywhere I step foot (except at my grandfather's farm in Oklahoma (maybe I should quit sharing areas I live/travel so they can't be used irrelevantly against me in a debate)) The $10/mo I give sprint goes a long way in providing me with access toDirectory Assistant, Blazer, Wassdat, Flight Status, Shoutcast streams, pssh, etc...which is worth $10 to me any month of the year.

Honestly, I've convinced almost all of my friends to get this phone. The only thing holding them back is MONEY. We're poor here in MS, dude. 'Nother fact of life along with us being so friggin' st00pit. The reason they can't save their money like I can is because they have other addictions, whether they be automobiles, or drugs, or fast food, or designer clothes, or whatever....but they still spend it on other cell phones that cost $150 (versus the Treo which could be bought for ONLY another $350 now). They just don't understand. But they'll all have one in their pocket sooner or later.

Not sure what inspires you to treat the Treo like a golden calf, but at least you help show others I'm not the Treo-head they thought I WAS .
    I hope I don't treat it as a golden calf, but it certainly keeps my mind in shape, whether in solitude, or providing me with some bit of information, or how 'bout some form of multimedia enjoyment. But honestly, the reason I'm fascinated with the 650 is because I think it's the first step to communism actually working. I know people think that's crazy and all, but I've got my reasons. My short answer for why "computed communism" would work is because it's the only way people can truly distribute work and resources equally...when you've got Wi-Max everywhere and a whole bunch of devices that can all log information in some huge government database, I think it's the only way PURE communism could ever come about. I believe it failed before because people in charge perverted their powers of leadership, destroying the entire concept of communism. Equal work, equal pay sounds like a much nicer economic goal than let's gamble 'til I have it all or nothing at all. I'm about to start that capitalism/communism thread pretty soon, darnell...just you wait.

The device is built well, but has a good share of defects.
    Such as?? I'll give you loose battery cover, and maybe a little soft keys. But haven't heard of too many "defective" units that prevents one from using all of its functionality in its entirety.

If you were around in the T600 days you would have known about the entire ESN range of T600s that were defective. Those on top of others that had their issues.
    Wasn't as religious about TreoCentral when I had (and that's a short had) the 600, considering I broke it, couldn't get a replacement, and found no replacement screens to buy for the gersh dern thing. So, no I didn't know about an entire ESN range of defective Treos. But again...my original post was not in reference to the 600, nor the 300 even, but the 650.

I have doubts about your stated history with the device. (Or maybe since you were not here you simply didn't know...)
    Dude, you just posted in another thread about some guy wondering if it was worth the upgrade from the 300 to the 650. Notice how my name was on there, mentioning my 300. It was a post from 2 days ago, jackass. Why the hell would i lie about that anyway?? If you think I did it to prove a point, I don't stoop to that level. You realize that you can view all my posts, right?? Have at it, homie.
    But honestly, the reason I'm fascinated with the 650 is because I think it's the first step to communism actually working.
    Admits it is a failure, but keeps trying to bring it back up .

Oh well, since many communist are void of religion I guess you've got to put your faith in something .
    Admits it is a failure, but keeps trying to bring it back up .

Oh well, since many communist are void of religion I guess you've got to put your faith in something .
    Can you people seriously not read?? Or is it that you can't solve problems by putting two and two together??

OK...here's what I said: "My short answer for why "computed communism" would work is because it's the only way people can truly distribute work and resources equally...when you've got Wi-Max everywhere and a whole bunch of devices that can all log information in some huge government database, I think it's the only way PURE communism could ever come about. I believe it failed before because people in charge perverted their powers of leadership, destroying the entire concept of communism. Equal work, equal pay sounds like a much nicer economic goal than let's gamble 'til I have it all or nothing at all"

I said it failed because there was no PURE way of distributing the moneyz! Without computers and the internet to provide humans with checks and balances, anybody higher up in the government can abuse their ranking to affect communism. PURE Communism has never taken place. That's why it failed is because it wasn't pure. I think that pure communism is synonymous with "computed communism"...or I've heard the term, "technocracy" before...where computers make all the difficult stuff of our life so incredibly easy, so we can focus on what truly needs focus...whether it be community goals, family, friends...not spending money on marketing for medication that shouldn't need marketing if the patients go to the doctor. Money is wasted all the time in this country...and computers will help us plan our lives a lot easier than today. If you've got a computer (think: smartphone!) on you at all times, it could be used as your keys, your wallet, your contacts, all you movies, music, and pictuers, even your regular PC which connects to a wireless monitor, mouse, and keyboard with UWB...EVERYTHING...on this one device that's connected to the internet at broadband speeds everywhere you go?? I find that information is just as synonymous to power as it is money. I think this "megaphone" of the future will tip the scale of power in favor of everybody as a whole or community, instead of the fend for yourself type attitude that capitalism creates. Obviously it would take awhile if even possible...I mean, nobody REALLY knows if it could work or not unless they tried it out. If it failed in the future whenever everybody has a smartphone that replaces their laptops/desktops...THEN I'd say communism can't work. Otherwise, I'll put my faith wherever I dern well please. Economic systems don't just change over night, "BUT OF COURSE YOU KNEW THAT!"

Short answer, yes I believe in God...in fact, I know there's a God...but what's that got to do with money?? Again bringing up irrelevent crap. Gosh, you make me want to type so much right now, but I'm going to contain it for the other thread I'm TRYING to start, but you, slinky, and gecko prevent me from doing.

WOW I've been typing WAY too much...Sorry, don't know how else to say it than how I'm sprayin' it!
    Gosh, you make me want to type so much right now....
    That was the goal the whole time . Like Judo, just watch you use your own energies against yourself.

To think, you actually assumed people (including me) were reading all that .

It was fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecostarica
    To the originator of this thread. Read your warranty. If you are in Calif, you have one year, either express (written) warranty, or implied (non-written) warranty, and then covered by Calif consumer law. Check your own state laws. If a seller, through ebay, or whom ever, has a retail sellers permit, to sell Treos (electronic equip), then they are licensed by their state. Many to most of the retailers through ebay, or whomever, have such sellers permits. That, or coarse, excludes private sellers.

Best of research and learning.

Maria
    ...That, or course, excludes private sellers...

I just wanted to re-emphisise that. E-bay or Amazon often is NOT acting as a retailer, and in those cases the actual purchase is from a private party.
    Last edited by westronic; 07/11/2005 at 09:58 AM.
    Can you people seriously not read?? Or is it that you can't solve problems by putting two and two together?? ... Short answer, yes I believe in God...in fact, I know there's a God...but what's that got to do with money?? Again bringing up irrelevent crap. ... WOW I've been typing WAY too much...Sorry, don't know how else to say it than how I'm sprayin' it!
    Geez, man, relax. There is no need to get so excited.

Can't we all just get along?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Geez, man, relax. There is no need to get so excited.

Can't we all just get along?
    Had he read the post in it's entirety, I wouldn't get so excited. I understand that I've been shootin' out a lotta text, but if somebody's gonna debate with me, I'd at least appreciate them reading what I've said before responding, or not responding at all. Continues to twist my words around...I hate people like that. I point out a reason it failed, and say why it won't fail in the future, and then he says, "he admits is wrong"...that's just not right, Z!

Sorry...but darnell's a punk who just tries to start stuff....HE just admitted it above, check it out for yourself.

And darnell, if you really didn't read all that stuff I typed, it explains how you're either a liar or illiterate. I can deal with that.
    Sorry for taking this thread off topic. But for any newcomers....your carriers insurance is irrelevant, the build quality of this phone is irrelevant, the manufacturer's warranty is irrelevant. GO GET THE STATE FARM PAP....if you're in the Gulf, you'll have to wait 'til the hurricane is over.

Good day!
    Had he read the post in it's entirety, I wouldn't get so excited. ... Sorry...but darnell's a punk who just tries to start stuff....
    Sticks and stones man, sticks and stones. There is no need to get so excited, irritable, or use names like that. This is a forum were people come to learn, ask questions, and help others. Its a friendly place. Its a happy place. Just relax, ignore anyone who tries to mess with you, and be happy.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Sticks and stones man, sticks and stones. There is no need to get so excited, irritable, or use names like that. This is a forum were people come to learn, ask questions, and help others. Its a friendly place. Its a happy place. Just relax, ignore anyone who tries to mess with you, and be happy.
    Is it time to sing Kumbaya yet? J/K, Z! I'll try my hardest.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WiggyFife
    ditto here!!! I specifically called to VZW, when I got my T650, to verify that it IS & WAS covered by Insurance...
    To you and stalker -- you have to understand what that means. Per my discussions with VZW for a warranty issue, I can safely say that 50% of operators do not know what they are talking about and about 75% of store employees only know enough to sell you on a phone and a new plan.

The bottom line is that if you have a warranty issue (e.g. speaker stops working, buttons stop functioning) you deal with the manufacturer which in this case would be your carrier who has the manufacturer make special branded phones for them to distribute as the "manufacturer." If the phone is lost or stolen, then you would deal with Asurion, your insurance company.

If you bought a phone from an unauthorized third party, my understanding is that the carrier will not offer you the insurance under your plan (or should not.)

It also makes sense that the manufacturer may not honor the warranty from unauthorized third party sales (although many do with a proof of purchase.) This is because anyone can forge a bill of sale so that they are perpetually under warranty. Still, I understand why an unsuspecting person might not realize that a "sale", however legitimate, might not be sufficient for warranty purposes due to the propensity for fraud in such types of sales.
    I can't resist:

Communism cannot EVER work on a large scale because it fails in understanding human motivation. Humans are motivated by getting what's "fair" - which is to say, if you work hard and smart you get more than someone who does not do so. In other words, capitalism. Judging by what we've seen in human behavior over the centuries, it appears that the lasting system will be a system with aspects of communism, socialism and capitalism.

Sorry - I'm done. Such political debate really does not belong in this forum.
    Last edited by westronic; 07/11/2005 at 10:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    Deal is this....Authorized Reseller (via eBay, Sprint, wherever) = warranty fully valid
    Non-authorized reseller = no warranty.
    I bought from the "palmOne store" in Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson Airport (actually Airport Wireless is the vendor).

Warranty has been honored but palmOne's foreign, non-English speaking morons are worthless anyhow. They can keep their crap warranty service.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast