1.    #1  
    Will there ever be SIM cards for CDMA phones? I am happy with my Sprint plan and my local coverage and do not want to switch to GSM.

I would love to have different phones; Treo, small flip, etc., and simply switch the SIM cards depending on which phone I need at the time. I would definitely purchase at least one or two phones in additional to my Treo.
    Not likely...completely different technologies.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    so what would your option be in that situation? with no sim card is there any (reasonable) way to have a second beater phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Not likely...completely different technologies.
    While the specific technology might be different, there's no technical reason CDMA phones couldn't be made with something similar to a SIM card. In fact, I seem to recall reading on these forums about a future plan for such. Some searches might find something useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrankin
    so what would your option be in that situation? with no sim card is there any (reasonable) way to have a second beater phone?
    I've swapped between phones just by calling Sprint and giving the operator the ESN of the phone I want to switch to. I did it when my son lost his phone and I gave him an old one of mine to use, and then switched back when he found his again. Took less than 5 minutes each time, at no cost. Not as easy as swapping a SIM, but not all that hard, either.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    As a matter of fact, there are already CDMA phones (in Asia, Korea more specifically) that have SIM-card-like modules. Search around on Google for more info. There's no real way to be sure if that technology will ever reach the States...
    eventually CDMA providers MIGHT support R-UIM but highly unlikely
    I agree it is possible, what I meant was not currently available with Sprint's CDMA technology. Anything is possible, this just happens to be unlikely.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    There are dual-mode phones now. Verizon offers a couple of them, just generic flip phones that have both a CDMA and GSM radio in them. I've heard rumors of a dual-mode version of that Samsung i730 beast, with the dual mode one to be called the i830.
    Moto makes one of the units that Verizon offers, and I think LG makes the other....or some generic Korean mfg'er....
  9.    #9  
    With your input, I was able to find the following article via Google search:

R-UIM card: A dual-mode solution

Ever wondered about SIM cards in CDMA handsets?

There's as much competition for CDMA phones with SIM cards as there is for non-SIM card phones. The tiny card has had a significant effect in the manufacture of handsets in the world.

Removable User Identity Module (R-UIM) cards support roaming between CDMA and GSM networks.Several manufacturers in China and other parts of the world, have introduced CDMA handsets that support R-UIM cards

The R-UIM is similar to a Subscriber Identity Module (SIM), but is designed for networks other than GSM such as CDMA.

The R-UIM system contains user information and data features on a removable smart card about the size of a postage stamp. Basically a dual-mode solution, R-UIM card can store both GSM provisioning and CDMA provisioning on a single card.

CDMA subscribers can insert the dual-mode R-UIM card into a GSM phone and instantly have all their subscription data available in a GSM network.

When used with a GSM handset, the R-UIM operates like a GSM SIM. For international travellers, the R-UIM allows roaming across CDMA and GSM networks with the same multi-mode terminal.

Based on China Unicom's CDMA1X network, the R-UIM technology is an international standard.