Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    how much battery life does chatter use up? I just downloaded this app and love it. I now know why blackberry users like their devices so much. I just started using it, and am not sure if my battery is draining faster because of the background operation of the push email. Can anyone give me some info on this. Thanks. Great app!!
    There are MANY threads about this. It depends on your carrier (GSM best for battery life, then Sprint, then Verizon), the number of Mailboxes, the number of online Mailboxes, how often you sync for offline Mailboxes, how much mail you receive and send, signal strength, etc. There's no question you'll eat up more battery using ANY data intensive app than without (sending/receiving data is like being on a voice call as far as battery usage is concerned).

Marc
  3.    #3  
    thanx, I am trying to figure out the pros and cons of this vs versamail. I love the push email, bUT I don't know if I necessarily need to be checking that much if it has to lower my battery life. I may check into versamail and setup a timed interval to checkmy mail, if I will get more battery life out of my treo.
    I downloaded for the 5th time with right configurations. This email rocks.
  5.    #5  
    what are your configurations? if I can chance somethings to save battery life a it I would. I really like chatter.
  6. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Do you mean battery life in a day, or battery life overall while you have the phone? I don't think draining it more each day will make a big difference, but if you don't have enough juice at the end of the day to phone home that's a problem.

Chatter does use more battery power - I always had at least 70% left at the end of the day until I installed Chatter, now I'm at 50%. It was lower when I had more online mailboxes. I think if you want to conserve battery power, and you still want push email, the most effective way is to have only 1 online mailbox and forward all your emails to that one.
  7.    #7  
    gotcha, I was having the same results u were by the end of the day with chatter I was at 50%, before was around 75%. Thanks for the recommendation on the number of mailboxes too w/forwarding.
    Yeah, it's not really Chatter, but GPRS connections doing it.. I have Chatter set up for 45m interval QuickSync's and I'm down to 85% at the end of the work day. I disabled Chatter the other day to see if I was blaming the 'right application' and I was down to 97% by the end of the workday. So Chatter connecting to the network all the time definately eats battery. And having it in online mode eats even more battery.

Interestingly, the same configuration at home, except using BlueTooth networking, eats MUCH less juice. At the end of the day (6 hours later than the end of my work day) I'm down to 92% using Chatter to check every 45m over my BT network.

As you can guess, I don't actually talk on the phone a lot, mostly PDA, etexts, etc.
    This thread is the closest thing I can find relating to my problem, so I'll pose the question here.

I downloaded Chatter about a month ago, really wanting to like it as much as everyone else around here, but the battery-life issue is a deal-breaker for me.

Now, the only thing I can compare it to would be VersaMail, but Chatter appears to be reducing my battery life by roughly 50%. I realize that establishing a GPRS connection is going to be taxing, but why would Chatter consume so much more power than VersaMail? I've checked the polling intervals, and the appear to be roughly the same (VersaMail disabled while I was testing Chatter, so that's not the issue).

Any ideas or input? As I said, I really want to like Chatter and my trial has just expired, so lacking some meaningful feedback I'm just going to revert back to VersaMail.
    2200 mAh Battery = 30 to 35% more longevity.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=lion for a history

Posts 76 thru 79 of that thread for current pricing comments.

(and carry the original as a spare.)

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/17/2006 at 07:37 AM.
    I'm using Chatter with a GSM Treo (T-Mobile), about 4 online mailboxes. I get a lot of email and send a lot (I basically use email as my SMS too, because with push email it's so convenient). I also use Quick News and a browser a few times a day. I have a 2200 mAh battery.

By the end of the day, I'm typically down to 35%, perhaps 25% if I've used the Treo a lot for other activities too (like playing around with some new application).

Having push email is worth it to me. I just plug in my Treo every night. My wife is deaf, so push email is the equivalent of our phone communication. Chatter is my life-line.
    Like Marc says, there are a lot of variables. Chatter has only made a very marginal dent in my phone's battery life. I'm getting the new Seidio extended battery soon too, so my overall battery life will be higher than it was with the standard battery without Chatter
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Oh, and by the way, if you do decide to drop Chatter, look into Snappermail. It's way better than Versamail, and it has a 30-day free trial too.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I am on the 30 day trial on Chatter right now. Love it so far, but I too have noticed the drop in battery life (I'm on verizon). Can anyone advise if the battery life is affected the same on Snapper? I don't think I'll change though, it's pretty sweet on my Treo 600.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Well, Snapper doesn't have push email(although they claim it'll be their next feature to roll out), so a data connection isn't always required, therefore the battery life will be directly relative to how often you have it set to check for email. If you have it set for like once every two hours or so, you'll have a VERY hard time noticing any drop in battery life. I like Snapper, but Chatter is superior in almost every way in my opinion. The only advantage Snapper has is it's "finger navigation" mode, which make everything(including the scroll bar) bigger and easier to manipulate with your finger. That isn't a big deal to me though, as I prefer to navigate with the 5-way.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Great thanks for the info, I think I'll stick with the Chatter for a while too.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    2200 mAh Battery = 30 to 35% more longevity.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=lion for a history

Posts 76 thru 79 of that thread for current pricing comments.

(and carry the original as a spare.)

Cheers, Perry
    Getting this battery is a MUST. I used to have 35% by 4pm every day (starting at 6am), and now I have anywhere from 50-65% depending on usage. I constantly use my Treo to delete tasks I complete while at work, check mail, very occassional IM with Verichat. I carry a spare battery in my bag always (the Palm OEM battery). I've had to use it a couple of times due to very high usage, and I was glad I had the spare!
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I have three online mailboxs, I have efficient sync setup, thats supposed to be slower but save some battery. I have to plug my Treo in around 6 cause it doesn't make it all day, I also have Verichat running as well. I am thinking I might have to get the new extended life battery. I tried to consolidate down to one mailbox cause I figured that would help, but fusemail kept giving me doubles of everything. Does the chatteremail.com check pop3 accounts like fusemail?
    I don't think the everyone.net based accounts (chatteremail.com and emailtreo.com) do polling on a schedule, but I'm not sure.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by iramike
    I have three online mailboxs, I have efficient sync setup, thats supposed to be slower but save some battery. I have to plug my Treo in around 6 cause it doesn't make it all day, I also have Verichat running as well. I am thinking I might have to get the new extended life battery. I tried to consolidate down to one mailbox cause I figured that would help, but fusemail kept giving me doubles of everything. Does the chatteremail.com check pop3 accounts like fusemail?
    You could always try Fastmail out. It's free, and problem free as well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast