1.    #1  
    Hi -- I have a treo 650 from Sprint and here's my prob:

Whenever I try to open versamail on my device, it causes my device to soft reset. So, I can never get into versamail... The icon should read "reset" instead of "versacrap" (I changed it).

So, I backed up my device, did a hard reset and was able to get into versamail ok (before syncing my settings back onto device). But, once I performed a sync, versamail turned into a reset-button once again. So, the problem must be with my versamail settings on my PC that get transfered to device on sync. So, here's my question:

How can I wipe all my versamail settings completely clean off my PC and start over WITHOUT loosing the rest of my backed up profile data? I know I can probably uninstall palmOne and then reinstall, but I don't want to lose my data...

Any and all ideas are APPRECIATED!

thanks,
    teanutz
    Sounds like you have a corrupted setting in your Versamail folder on your PC. You can simply rename this folder (e.g., versamailold) and retry hotsyncing. Unfortunately, I can't remember if this will delete your Versamail settings/files on the Treo. I've had to do this multiple times to completely clear out the corruption, but I also cleared out all my Treo settings purposely to ensure a fresh start.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Treotim. I will try that and post back. (I'll do a hard reset and make sure everything is wiped from the device too...)

Here's another little tangent: Even if I get this working, it seems to me that I probably want to use something like chattermail over versamail anyway... Is there a way to remove versamail from the device on a sprint 650 build? (It appears to be packaged in the firmware with sprint - wouldn't I want to free up some space?)

thanks again.
  4.    #4  
    FYI: If you delete/rename the versamail folder on the pc and then re-sync with the treo (and the treo hasn't been hard reset) it will add a versamail folder on the pc with all of its old/"corrupt" files on it... It makes perfect sense (everything always goes upstream - it's like syncing with a new computer), I just thought I'd mention it here to clarify my last post.
  5.    #5  
    Ugh... I cannot get rid of my Versamail settings! Here's what I've done:

1. Synced Device (to backup data).
    2. Delete C:\Program Files\palmOne\username\Versamail folder.
    3. Do a hard reset on my sprint treo 650 and delete all data.
    4. Perform a sync.
    5. All data is back.
    6. Open Versamail and it causes a soft-reset whenever I open it AND there is a Versamail folder back on my PC with 7 dat files inside...

Why are these dat files back on the PC? What am I missing?

thanks.
    Rename your backup folder on the pc. Hotsync using a different ID. That will restore your calendar and contacts. Then selectively restore your other files, except for versamail.
    Versamail can only be removed by creating a custom ROM, or getting a custom ROM from www.shadowmite.com. Removing it from ROM will not give you any more user-accessible space.
    Zane
    Quote Originally Posted by Teanutz
    Ugh... I cannot get rid of my Versamail settings! Here's what I've done:

1. Synced Device (to backup data).
    2. Delete C:\Program Files\palmOne\username\Versamail folder.
    3. Do a hard reset on my sprint treo 650 and delete all data.
    4. Perform a sync.
    5. All data is back.
    6. Open Versamail and it causes a soft-reset whenever I open it AND there is a Versamail folder back on my PC with 7 dat files inside...

Why are these dat files back on the PC? What am I missing?

thanks.
    Your hotsync backup is restoring all of your versamail data as well. You need to delete your versamail accounts on the Treo (and I'd recommend deleting the specific versamail files/pdb's using FileZ or another file manager utility - see other threads for specific files to delete) prior to doing your hotsync backup. Otherwise, all of your versamail files/settings will be restored when you do the hotsync after the hard reset.

Also, I should mention that when I've had this problem in the past, it sometimes turned out to be a specific email message that was causing the reset on launch. If you haven't tried deleting/archiving some of your recent emails on your server, I would suggest doing that as well. If it does turn out to be a specific email that's causing the problem, then all of the steps in the first paragraph will not work unless you delete/archive/move the offending email so that it doesn't end up on your treo.
    I used Snappermail with fastmail.fm (imap) on my Treo 600. With the Treo 650 I cannot get Versamail to work.
    I am thinking of going back to my old hotmail mailbox. How do I set it up on Versamail?
    NorManley