Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58
  1.    #1  
    Sprint announced that they are releasing EV-DO in select markets this week. Anyone heard on Treo 650 and EV-DO?

    I would love to be able to use my Treo 650 for DUN voa Bluetooth on my laptop.

    Article on News.com
    http://tinyurl.com/7wzmt
  2. #2  
    From what I have heard, the 650 is not EV-DO and cannot be upgraded to be EV-DO. (And I was speaking with a Sprint Tech)

    Let's hope it is in the 700.

    Cheers, Perry
  3. #3  
    It must be in the Treo 700 (or whatever comes next).

    They would want to have EV-DO and Wi-Fi in it or don't even bring it to market! Because their competition is already on the ball!
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    It must be in the Treo 700 (or whatever comes next).

    They would want to have EV-DO and Wi-Fi in it or don't even bring it to market! Because their competition is already on the ball!
    Hi Darnell!

    I could live without the WiFi, as long as it has the EV-DO. I know others have done it, but 3 different radios in one box is asking for trouble. As it is, my wireless mouse is driven crazy by my Treo, when it is in it's stand.

    Cheers, Perry
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi Darnell!

    I could live without the WiFi, as long as it has the EV-DO. I know others have done it, but 3 different radios in one box is asking for trouble.
    I could live without WiFi too, but the market can't. And companies buying the T650 will not justify the upgrade to a T700 without WiFi.

    The competition already has 3 radios in a single box. Check out devices like the Samsung SCH-i730.

    Palm has to step up just to keep up at this point in the game.
  6. cadams's Avatar
    Posts
    301 Posts
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    #6  
    The next Treo should be a lifedrive with a keyboard and phone. And even if you don't have built in WiFi make drivers for at least one WiFi card so we can add it ourselves and suffer the consequences.
  7. #7  
    The Palm investor conference call I listened to gave no indication that it will be a glorified Lifedrive. The Lifedrive is a different track for Palm. The next Treo will probably have some features from the Lifedrive and may have on board memory that goes into the gigs. But ultimately Palm has to meet the competition feature for feature. Once Palm had the lead and the Treo had the rest beat hands down.

    Palm knows what they need to do and I think they will do it. The next Treo will have WiFi and EV-DO built in. So you can use the SD slot for something else while using a built in WiFi connection.

    Hey I really like the Treo. But Palm has to meet the competitors features or we'll be looking like the folks that still use the old Apple Newtons .
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by crabkilla
    Sprint announced that they are releasing EV-DO in select markets this week. Anyone heard on Treo 650 and EV-DO?

    I would love to be able to use my Treo 650 for DUN voa Bluetooth on my laptop.

    Article on News.com
    http://tinyurl.com/7wzmt
    One user has disected his 650 and verified the CDMA chipset. The 650 ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT have EVDO capability.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    The Palm investor conference call I listened to gave no indication that it will be a glorified Lifedrive. The Lifedrive is a different track for Palm. The next Treo will probably have some features from the Lifedrive and may have on board memory that goes into the gigs. But ultimately Palm has to meet the competition feature for feature. Once Palm had the lead and the Treo had the rest beat hands down.

    Palm knows what they need to do and I think they will do it. The next Treo will have WiFi and EV-DO built in. So you can use the SD slot for something else while using a built in WiFi connection.

    Hey I really like the Treo. But Palm has to meet the competitors features or we'll be looking like the folks that still use the old Apple Newtons .
    What features would the Treo get from the LifeDrive?? The treo can't have a harddrive because of space constraints and even if they did have enough space, they wouldn't do it because as palm said...they have 3 separate markets...smartphones, mobile managers, and regular pdas. They're not going to mix an match too much.

    As for WiFi...I doubt the Treo would pick that up because also again...in smartphones wifi is a niche of niche....just too few people that really demand it when there's stuff like EV-DO and bluetooth that don't have MANY more benefits than wifi. Also another reason I doubt it is because OS 5 can't seamlessly roam between different types of wireless networks. I predict the Treo getting wifi in 2 years and not this one. But, who knows? Maybe palm's dumber than I think.

    As to Palm needing to "meet the competitors features".....I'd say that the 15 different windows mobile devices are still going to need to meet the treos size and other features such as having a bajillion free apps for palm os, plus shareware ones that are certainly of good value. I'd compare the Treo to Apple's iPod. They charged a premium for what!!???! A scrollwheel that is a neat concept, but not the best...and itunes! The Treo's got the perfect design for a candybar smartphone and a dang good OS (after you spend HOURS upgrading/tweaking it). Wifi'll prolly be added at the same time as Palm Linux. This is good news for us: http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7946.

    I wish I really did know what the future had in store for us, though.
  10. #10  
    If they made a palm have a built in hard drive, I for one would NEVER buy it, and I'd hope everyone else wouldn't either. Hard drives are a design flaw. They WILL go BAD... It's just a matter of time... For a home computer or laptop, fine... But a phone!?!? It better never need a replacement hard drive! Anyone buying a device like that is asking for issues.

    Heck, look how many Apple iPod's have hard drive issues now, all because of bad sectors...
  11. #11  
    Well I read the article and I read the first post but, what I missing is news where there is andication of next treo to be out. Am I missing something??? I mean article say that sprint is planning to introduce EVDO Handsets and application in fourth quarter of 2005 but there is no indication that Treo will be one of those handsets. I doubt if next treo will be released untill 2006 first or second quarter. But I hope I am wrong.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
  12. #12  
    I believe the next Sprint Treo will be out in December 2005. I can't see Palm, nor Sprint letting the Holiday Season or quarter vs. last year financial quarter comparisons get trashed without a repeat of a Treo "introduction". As well, GSM carriers now have EDGE, I can't see Sprint wanting to wait another year before getting an EV-DO Treo out there. Just my speculation.

    Cheers, Perry.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    If they made a palm have a built in hard drive, I for one would NEVER buy it, and I'd hope everyone else wouldn't either. Hard drives are a design flaw. They WILL go BAD... It's just a matter of time... For a home computer or laptop, fine... But a phone!?!? It better never need a replacement hard drive! Anyone buying a device like that is asking for issues.

    Heck, look how many Apple iPod's have hard drive issues now, all because of bad sectors...
    Not to mention the vibration mode of a cell phone. . . . . . gives new meaning to shake, rattle and roll.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    If they made a palm have a built in hard drive, I for one would NEVER buy it, and I'd hope everyone else wouldn't either. Hard drives are a design flaw. They WILL go BAD... It's just a matter of time... For a home computer or laptop, fine... But a phone!?!? It better never need a replacement hard drive! Anyone buying a device like that is asking for issues.

    Heck, look how many Apple iPod's have hard drive issues now, all because of bad sectors...

    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I believe the next Sprint Treo will be out in December 2005. I can't see Palm, nor Sprint letting the Holiday Season or quarter vs. last year financial quarter comparisons get trashed without a repeat of a Treo "introduction". As well, GSM carriers now have EDGE, I can't see Sprint wanting to wait another year before getting an EV-DO Treo out there. Just my speculation.

    Cheers, Perry.
    Agreed....X2

    There is no really good reason for Palm to try to merge the Life Drive and the Treo. There are many bad reasons....cost and reliability being at the top of the reasons I can think of.

    I'm truly hopeful that Palm has an EV-DO handset prepared by Christmas. I can't see them sitting back and letting M$ units jump up and grab all this new EV-DO biz w/o some sort of quick come back.

    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    As for WiFi...I doubt the Treo would pick that up because also again...in smartphones wifi is a niche of niche....just too few people that really demand it when there's stuff like EV-DO and bluetooth that don't have MANY more benefits than wifi. Also another reason I doubt it is because OS 5 can't seamlessly roam between different types of wireless networks. I predict the Treo getting wifi in 2 years and not this one. But, who knows? Maybe palm's dumber than I think.
    I disagree that it's a niche market. Yes, ppl can use EV-DO, Edge or MAYBE BT (let's remember that BT is not a Wi-Fi competitor, but a cable replacement technology...in fact, BT is MORE of a niche market that's just warming up in the US); but they have to consider that not everyone will want to pay the high prices for these data plans. And Wi-Fi is reaching so many homes these days (if go to the 3rd floor and turn on my laptop, the AP list goes for more than a page!) Let's face it, Wi-Fi is pervasive and whether they use it or not, ppl want it. Palm wouldn't be dumb to include it, I feel (for marketing purposes) just the opposite is true.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  15. cec
    cec is offline
    cec's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    If they made a palm have a built in hard drive, I for one would NEVER buy it, and I'd hope everyone else wouldn't either. Hard drives are a design flaw. They WILL go BAD... It's just a matter of time... For a home computer or laptop, fine... But a phone!?!? It better never need a replacement hard drive! Anyone buying a device like that is asking for issues.

    Heck, look how many Apple iPod's have hard drive issues now, all because of bad sectors...
    I agree. Too many moving parts. Plus the capacity of flash memory cards keep going up and the prices keep going down. With a 4gb or more SD card who needs a microdrive.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    I disagree that it's a niche market. Yes, ppl can use EV-DO, Edge or MAYBE BT (let's remember that BT is not a Wi-Fi competitor, but a cable replacement technology...in fact, BT is MORE of a niche market that's just warming up in the US)
    I disagree with your disagreement...wifi doesn't belong in a cell phone -- at least not for now, it would shoot battery life to hell. VoWiFi would be great, but it's a cell phone that can go anywhere in the country, why bother when voice plans are cheap enough as it is on a reliable network?? VoIP would be great if [it didn't drain the battery] you lived on a college campus or business all day, but then I wouldn't be using a Treo...I'd be using a laptop/desktop instead. When at the airport, use Bluetooth DUN the tabs in firefox to download multiple pages in the background while you view the one in the foreground. Then there's the times when you're at Barnes & Noble, etc.....but wait you've already got the Internet on your phone, I'm sure you could handle slightly faster than dial-up speeds while you sip on your coffee...and now you're not tied down to a chain of coffee shops, you can go to ANY coffee shop you want. I mean, come on, the text is completely downloaded in like 10 seconds while you wait on the pics.

    If you want wifi, get another phone, because you're in a sub-niche market and you're not going got get a Treo with wifi unless you do the sd card thing or wait for the sled...or the late 2006/7 Treo.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    If they made a palm have a built in hard drive, I for one would NEVER buy it, and I'd hope everyone else wouldn't either. Hard drives are a design flaw. They WILL go BAD... It's just a matter of time... For a home computer or laptop, fine... But a phone!?!? It better never need a replacement hard drive! Anyone buying a device like that is asking for issues.

    Heck, look how many Apple iPod's have hard drive issues now, all because of bad sectors...
    I certainly wouldn't buy one with a hard drive because I plan on reselling my phone and that would hurt the resale value pretty badly. Not putting big hard drives in a portable device is a no-brainer (My Vaio TR1A has a 2.5" HD). Would a 1" drive really be THAT prone to breaking. I'm pretty sure most of them could last for a couple years at least (Longer than most people have their cell phones).

    Do that many mini's have HD issues??
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sam2579
    I mean article say that sprint is planning to introduce EVDO Handsets and application in fourth quarter of 2005 but there is no indication that Treo will be one of those handsets. I doubt if next treo will be released untill 2006 first or second quarter. But I hope I am wrong.
    There will definitely be another Treo out this year...no doubt about it. Palm's in this game to make money, even though it doesn't look like it sometimes.
  19. #19  
    They left vibration mode off the LifeDrive because of the mini. . . . .
  20.    #20  
    I would hope that Palm would split the Treo models up instead of trying to cram everything and the kitchen sink in the phone.

    Treo 700 - same footprint as Treo 650 but with EDGE and EV-DO support, better volume and speaker output AND a build in true push e-mail client. I use Chatter and it is awesome, but many people do not know about it. They need to market this phone to Blackberry users

    Treo 710 - your big fat Treo with support for Wi-fi, lifedrive and other crap everyone else wants.

    Me - I want a solid Treo 650 like phone with high speed data. I would rather have a thinner Treo than a big fat phone like the Samsung i730
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions