Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Those that have been following the other thread know that I've made an early version of my AIM client publicly available. Thanks for those 50 brave and curious souls.

Of those 50, I don't know if any visited the site linked in the About dialog. But I've since released another preview of it on my site. The site is still incomplete but I'm sure you guys won't mind too much.

As stated in the other thread, Toccer is not intended to compete feature for feature against the big boys, but rather to do one thing and to do it well. It lets you IM, and I hope it does it well. The goal was to write an IM client that feels like it came with the Treo.

Some changes since the last version:
    • New chat display code. Shouldn't make much of a difference to the user at this time.
    • Copy/Paste/Select All should work now.
    • The focus halo should work better in the IM window (halo selects the log now).
    • Preferences defaults reconnect to "on". This is the way I prefer to use it, because my carrier boots me after an hour. If others oppose it, I can switch it back the other way. May cause annoyances with GPRS/data dies and refuses to come back (because it will keep on trying).
    • A bunch of minor polish things.

I've not looked into the 650-center-button-not-working-in-IM-window bug that rjbeep mentioned in the other thread, but the bug may not exist in this version (even though it was built before the bug was reported) because the IM window code went through some significant changes due to the new display code.

You can download Toccer from my (incomplete) website: Toccer: AIM for your Treo

I'd love to hear people's comments.

Thanks,

Tienshiao
    sorry ar-cain... I'm actually running the preview 2 version from your website. That's where I am seeing the center-button issue.

:-)
  3.    #3  
    Darn, just wishful thinking on my part.

Thanks again for the bug report though.
    Where have you been all my IM-ing life? This is great.
    I have tried it and it seems to work pretty good for me (unfortunately most of my IM friends are on yahoo) but I do have a few on AIM.

Keep up the good work!
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I can't get connected usinge the default setting says there is an error code: 1.

Changing to the same settings that I have on my laptop causes it to restart my treo (login.oscar.aol.com port 5190)

Do you know what I'm doing wrong?
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I just wanted to say that I am trying out the Preview 2 version now, so far its done very well for me, great app. My girlfriend has a problem with Verichat, she keeps getting disconnected out where she lives, we are hoping that since this connects right to AOL servers that we don't have the same issues, keep up the good work!
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld
    I can't get connected usinge the default setting says there is an error code: 1.

Changing to the same settings that I have on my laptop causes it to restart my treo (login.oscar.aol.com port 5190)

Do you know what I'm doing wrong?
    OOPS - I had my user name wrong, that allows me to connect, but still having resets.
  9.    #9  
    OOPS - I had my user name wrong, that allows me to connect, but still having resets.

Do you still get the resets if you reset to the defaults, and then use your correct user name?

Are you getting these resets as you try to connect? Does it update your buddy list?

I'm wondering if it is just due to poor error handling on my part (I can't remember if I actually tested it against an incorrect host).

Thanks for giving it a try.
    Works great for me. . .

Is Cingular going to consider each IM as a text message?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Works great for me. . .

Is Cingular going to consider each IM as a text message?

No, it is strictly data only. So data surcharges may apply depending on your plan.

Usage tips:
    - You can start typing a message without the text field being in focus.
    - After you've typed your message, you can just use enter to send it.
    Hi ar-cain,

Do you know if it works with dotmac style AIM usernames .. eg blah@mac.com .. I tried Mundu and it couldn't handle it.

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by ar-cain
    No, it is strictly data only. So data surcharges may apply depending on your plan.

Usage tips:
    - You can start typing a message without the text field being in focus.
    - After you've typed your message, you can just use enter to send it.
    That is way slick. Thanks for the freebie.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbroberg
    Hi ar-cain,

Do you know if it works with dotmac style AIM usernames .. eg blah@mac.com .. I tried Mundu and it couldn't handle it.

cheers

I've never tried, but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't off the top of my head.

There would probably be a problem if your user name is over.. say 21 characters, simply because I'm only storing a fixed number of characters for login name.

Let me know how it works.
    ar-cain,
    Is there any way that when you're logged in through Toccer, AIM can show that you're connected via mobile? I don't know if there's any way that you could do that, but it would be very useful for me if it were possible....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Receive Messages in the Background without SMS - Don’t call us, we’ll call you. No need to “refresh” to see if you have a new message, we’ll let you know. And you don’t need to be concerned about being “nickeled and dimed” over SMS charges.
    Hmmm, receiving incoming messages through SMS is one thing I actually like about my copy of Treo Messenger for Yahoo. I'm not "nickeled and dimed" by this because incoming SMSs are free. It's a low-power way of staying "connected" and to my wife it looks like I'm always on (my status is Online with the custom label On My Treo). Just food for thought.

On another note, Toccer rebooted my Treo the first time I connected, deleted two buddies, and then tapped details.
    Last edited by aldamon; 07/08/2005 at 07:25 AM.
    Do you still get the resets if you reset to the defaults, and then use your correct user name?

Are you getting these resets as you try to connect? Does it update your buddy list?

I'm wondering if it is just due to poor error handling on my part (I can't remember if I actually tested it against an incorrect host).

Thanks for giving it a try.
    When I fixed the name and reset to defaults it logged in. It then seemed to pull down my buddies then I couldn't see any of them after a few seconds and it seemed to slow down signifcantly. Finally it just reset. I do have a large buddy list (nearly 200) so I don't know if that has any impact.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    Hmmm, receiving incoming messages through SMS is one thing I actually like about my copy of Treo Messenger for Yahoo. I'm not "nickeled and dimed" by this because incoming SMSs are free. It's a low-power way of staying "connected" and to my wife it looks like I'm always on (my status is Online with the custom label On My Treo). Just food for thought.
    Yeah, there are many benefits to using SMS and may be a better option of some people.

On another note, Toccer rebooted my Treo the first time I connected, deleted two buddies, and then tapped details.
    I'll make a note of that and take a look into it. You say "the first time", is it working now?
  19.    #19  
    When I fixed the name and reset to defaults it logged in. It then seemed to pull down my buddies then I couldn't see any of them after a few seconds and it seemed to slow down signifcantly. Finally it just reset. I do have a large buddy list (nearly 200) so I don't know if that has any impact.

It may, I'll be sure to test it further with a larger buddy list.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by 02flhrci
    ar-cain,
    Is there any way that when you're logged in through Toccer, AIM can show that you're connected via mobile? I don't know if there's any way that you could do that, but it would be very useful for me if it were possible....
    I had looked into it in the past, but didn't find any useful info. I'll keep it in mind for the future.
Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast