Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920 LastLast
  1.    #321  
    Quote Originally Posted by thynctank
    Hell yeah.
    I've got another idea for you...

It seems toccer log files are taking up a bit of space (I assume that's what those TOCthynctankxxxxxxxxxxxx_log and _idx PDBs are in my backup folder desktop-side...) and contributing to wait time on my hotsyncs hehe. Any way we could either NOT backup the logs to PC? (or have it be optional) Same deal for Treo-side. It'd be great if it could ONLY save logs to the SD card or automatically clear out logs beyond a certain date (like the Purge function in Calendar, etc)

Anyway, just some ideas...

-tank.

Those are some good ideas. I plan on exploring various options for managing the logs.

Thanks,

Tienshiao
    One thing, since disabling Alerts, I now have a new issue:

If I'm in one conversation window and someone else IMs, my Treo vibrates, but no alert pops up so I have to manually go through my (somewhat lengthy) buddy list and figure out who it was. I'd prefer to receive alerts in addition to receiving the vibe or ring when the unit is turned off.

Any way to accomplish that?

-tank.
    Any word on this? Ability to receive alerts via reminders (a la Calendar PIM app) while still being alerted with vibration or ringing?
  3.    #323  
    Any word on this? Ability to receive alerts via reminders (a la Calendar PIM app) while still being alerted with vibration or ringing?
    My original reply was left at the end of the last page, so I'll reproduce it here.

This will be fixed in the next version.

If you go back to the BuddyList and look under the first menu it will show Unread IMs. Unfortunately you will still need to exit the IM window.
    Quote Originally Posted by ar-cain
    My original reply was left at the end of the last page, so I'll reproduce it here.

This will be fixed in the next version.

If you go back to the BuddyList and look under the first menu it will show Unread IMs. Unfortunately you will still need to exit the IM window.
    Thanks for the second reply, I must have missed the last one. This is a good workaround for the time being.

Thanks again!
    -tank.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Sorry if this was covered before, I read this whole thread, but can't seem to figure this out...

I downloaded Toccer, its a great program. I am using Verizon, so its CDMA. I read about the battery drain issues. I only want to use Toccer if I am away from my computer, so my question is: is Toccer doing anything if its just offline?

I seem to have noticed that whereas my average battery charge was lasting 48 hours with my normal light phone useage, its about half that once I installed (and have used) Toccer. This isn't anything empirical, so maybe I am just imagining things.

I assume that if I have toccer offline, it is not 'pinging' anything. Correct? Its only once I say go online that it actually does .

Thanks.
    Toccer does not affect battery when not in use that I have noticed...

Your phone should have some sort of icon telling you whether it's online or not.

(I'm on Sprint) Mine is a set of green (or gray when communication is at a stand-still with the server and phone) arrows above the normal signal meter icon. I'm not sure if this is a standard icon across all carriers or not.

To disconnect from the Internet, you may sometimes have to disconnect manually. This is done by going to Preferences->Network (which is under Communication)->Disconnect. Not all programs disconnect automatically. I have Versamail set to check my mailservers every two hours, for instance, but you have to check off "disconnect automatically" in order for Versamail not to leave the phone connected.

Hope that was helpful.
    -tank.
    I've downloaded Toccer and it's working wonderfully.

NEWBIE QUESTION: am I using minutes and/or SMS messages while using Toccer?
    Quote Originally Posted by TAFJonathan
    I've downloaded Toccer and it's working wonderfully.

NEWBIE QUESTION: am I using minutes and/or SMS messages while using Toccer?
    Toccer connects via the Internet, so it does not use SMS messages. Whether or not it uses plan minutes depends heavily on your wireless carrier. Most carriers charge separately for Internet (data) access, so it's best to check with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi
    I assume that if I have toccer offline, it is not 'pinging' anything. Correct? Its only once I say go online that it actually does .
    Correct.
    1. I'm mobile - I'd rate this as unlikely not because I don't like the idea, but I don't believe this is supported in the TOC protocol.
    2. Away messages - Has been requested before, and I plan on implementing it.
    3. Being able to view away messages - I'd rate this as unlikely as well, again because of protocol support.

Regarding the icon issue: The likely cause is that Toccer doesn't currently have an icon. The icon you see is the launcher's default icon. I'm not familiar with the icon editing apps, so I'm not sure what icon it is editting or what happens if the application doesn't have an icon.
    1. [EDIT] question removed, thanks mportune [/EDIT] I think it would be useful for other AIM users to know you're using a mobile device. That way they don't flood you with huge paragraphs of conversation, or wonder why it takes a long time for a reply.
    2. Great, I'd like to see this addressed as well.
    3. That's too bad, it would be rather useful.
    4. Any chance of having a hires icon used for Toccer instead of the default (none)?

Hrmm.. this is likely to be a bug. It does have an adaptive algorithm but the upper bound is much less than 10-30 minutes. In fact it shouldn't really fall behind by more than a couple minutes.

I'll keep an eye out for the issue.
    5. Any update on this?

Thank you for your continued support of this great program.

[EDIT] By the way, just registered and the hyperlink feature is great! Saves a bunch of time/effort opening URLs. [/EDIT]
    Last edited by gsupp; 04/11/2006 at 04:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsupp
    1. Why don't you like the idea?
    He didn't say he doesn't like the idea. He said "not because" he doesn't like the idea.

Personally, I don't like the idea, but I realize lots of folks do. I would hope that if he ever finds a way to implement it, he'll make it a toggle in the account prefs.
    A few thoughts on toccer since I use it several times a day most days now:

1) I still have issues with hyperlinked conversation causing button-scrolling to stop working. Has he cause of this been found yet? I can tap that scroll bar or arrows but they're real small for finger tapping and I hate to remove that stylus for such a little reason...

2) The combined buddy/group editor will be a welcome addition once it's implemented.

3) Will we ever be able to ADD BUDDY or IM a person not in our buddy list? Or are these somehow not supported by TOC either?

4) Persistent, calendar-style pop-up alerts while using toccer (while at the same time vibing or ringing) would be great, but even the workaround I was given (first menu has a list of all unanswered IMs) works for now.

5) Clearing logs in toccer to make space in my somewhat cramped Treo is an issue. I have to manually clear each buddy's log, and there's no option to save logs to SD card instead of the device itself, so I have thousands of records' worth of toccer listed in the Treo's launcher info list. Would it also be possible to implement a CLEAR ALL LOGS function?

6) Is there a way to detect when a user initiates a phonecall (thus bringing the Treo out of data mode and shifting to voice mode) and temporarily suspending toccer, but to automatically reconnect when the user hangs up? Alternately, and I realize this is probably impossible from what I know of the Treo, would it be possible to allow incoming phone calls while still using toccer somehow? Don't even bother answering. I know. *sniff* it's No.

7) Hyperlinked URLs and phone numbers kick ***!!!

8) Toccer is officially on my must-have list, I would have paid 20 bucks for this app.

Anyway, cheers to Atomic Cog!

-tank.
  13.    #333  
    1. I haven't been able to reproduce your bug, I'm wondering if it has something to do with the other person's client. But regardless, I'm working on a workaround that should solve the problem (whether or not the entire URL is properly highlighted).

2. Noted.

3. I'm not sure I understand? You can add buddies from the Edit Buddies form. If you scroll to the bottom there is an option to [Add New]. If you have a large buddy list, I can see how you would have missed that. I will probably move "Add" to one of the buttons at the bottom since I have the room there now.

4. The "Insistent" and "Subtle" in application alerts will be fixed in the next version. The bug with the alerts in app only affects the user you're chatting with when you're at the chat form. If another user were to IM you, or if you were at the buddy list form the alert would still come up.

5. Until I have a proper archiving feature, I will implement a purge all in the next version. Wow, you must have a huge buddy list. Or maybe I just have a relatively small one.

6. Toccer should automatically reconnect shortly after you hang up. Though now that I think about it, I think the OS can notify apps when the user starts a call and when a user finishes a call. Definitely won't make the next version, need to do more research here.

7. Thanks, and I apologize for the problems you're experiencing with them.

8. Thanks again.

ETA for the next version: if it isn't this next week, then it won't be for a couple more weeks as I'll be going out of the country for a couple of weeks.

Tienshiao
    How do you register? The link seems disabled.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
  15.    #335  
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    How do you register? The link seems disabled.
    If you go to the product page, there is a box on the right side with a PayPal Buy Now button. Before clicking on it, you need to enter your "Magic Number" in the field right above it. If you click on the "Magic Number" link it will tell you where you can look it up.

The "Magic Number" can be found by going to the buddy list form, menu, Help, Registration.

Here is a link to the Toccer product page: http://www.atomiccog.com/products/toccer-for-treo/

Thanks for you interest,

Tienshiao
    Thanks for all the replies, Tienshiao!

Sorry if I should be posting on the atomiccog forum, can't really say why I've posted here versus there. Also, is email out for sending ideas to you, etc? I'm always full of ideas.

And don't apologize for little bugs creeping into software, it happens! Besides, it's not like Microsoft apologized for Windows ME! That whole thing was a bug!

I couldn't say what the cause is for the hyperlinking problem, I believe I've had messages from folks using both Trillian and AOL's own client, thought I can't remember for sure. Possibly Gaim as well.

Cool beans about the alerts, that'll be great to jump from one IM to another simply by tapping or arrowing through my alerts list. I was very very pleased with how Toccer pops up alerts in other apps even when I first tried it. The whole big text with the username of the other party, etc and small text with the first line or so of the IM is great!

Aha! Yes, my buddy list is a bit long. (though I'm working on trimming it down...) A button along the bottom or an option in the menu would be very welcome. Will we be able to drag & drop users from group to group in the future? No rush, just wondering if it was possible. Seems as though it should be.

Purge All will also be cool. What about a way to disable backup to desktop? I might like to keep them on the device but fast hotsyncs are important to me, especially since I do them all wirelessly now so they're not quite USB speed.

I've had problems before where Toccer thinks it's connected (and I have a full signal strength and green arrows on my Treo) but no one receives my IMs, including me (I often send test messages to myself for this purpose..... big mistake if you accidentally leave an away message on in toccer since it uses auto replies instead of a single away message you get an infinite loop!)

There's definitely no way to receive calls in data mode, right? Haha.

I've had my girlfriend unable to call me because I had my toccer in away mode while driving hehe.

Again, not a real problem, it's only happened a handful of times.

Thanks for the fast reply and again for the wonderful software.

-tank.
    Last edited by thynctank; 04/13/2006 at 01:19 PM.
    Those that have been following the other thread know that I've made an early version of my AIM client publicly available. Thanks for those 50 brave and curious souls.

Of those 50, I don't know if any visited the site linked in the About dialog. But I've since released another preview of it on my site. The site is still incomplete but I'm sure you guys won't mind too much.

As stated in the other thread, Toccer is not intended to compete feature for feature against the big boys, but rather to do one thing and to do it well. It lets you IM, and I hope it does it well. The goal was to write an IM client that feels like it came with the Treo.

Some changes since the last version:
    • New chat display code. Shouldn't make much of a difference to the user at this time.
    • Copy/Paste/Select All should work now.
    • The focus halo should work better in the IM window (halo selects the log now).
    • Preferences defaults reconnect to "on". This is the way I prefer to use it, because my carrier boots me after an hour. If others oppose it, I can switch it back the other way. May cause annoyances with GPRS/data dies and refuses to come back (because it will keep on trying).
    • A bunch of minor polish things.

I've not looked into the 650-center-button-not-working-in-IM-window bug that rjbeep mentioned in the other thread, but the bug may not exist in this version (even though it was built before the bug was reported) because the IM window code went through some significant changes due to the new display code.

You can download Toccer from my (incomplete) website: Toccer: AIM for your Treo

I'd love to hear people's comments.

Thanks,

Tienshiao

So far I like it.. But I'd like to see 2 things..

1. The ability to Disconnect from the Internet when you click the Offline. This is important because the connection uses battery like crazy..

2. The Ability to NOT log at all or automatically clear the log when you go offline.. This way my ram won't get used up if I do not clear the logs on every buddy.
    If you go to the product page, there is a box on the right side with a PayPal Buy Now button.
    Here is a link to the Toccer product page: http://www.atomiccog.com/products/toccer-for-treo/

Tienshiao
    Hi,

There is no Pay-Pal button on my pages.... soooooooooo how can I register ?
  19.    #339  
    Quote Originally Posted by BCCISProf
    Hi,

There is no Pay-Pal button on my pages.... soooooooooo how can I register ?
    Err.. which browser are you using? Odd. Also I don't think PayPal works with Blazer, so you probably don't want to try that.

Thought I had tested on the major browsers.

Tienshiao
    Err.. which browser are you using? Odd. Also I don't think PayPal works with Blazer, so you probably don't want to try that.

Thought I had tested on the major browsers.

Tienshiao

Hi,

I am using ordinary MS Explorer.......

Thanks