Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 388
  1. #201  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    I'd love to see jabber support added so i could use google talk. That require a whole other client though

    Oh man, just think, a Skype client for your Treo? That would rock.

    -Mike
  2. sharpja's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #202  
    Quote Originally Posted by spirilis
    I might know what you're talking about... occasionally I hear an SMS come in and the ringtone gets cut off after a split second. Then others come in and the ringtone plays full length.
    My ringtone's don't get cut off, rather the phone never sounds when a message or SMS comes in.
  3. #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKnoop
    Oh man, just think, a Skype client for your Treo? That would rock.

    -Mike
    I think the main thing stopping this is GlobalIPSound's lack of Palm support. Skype uses GlobalIPSound's codecs (and Google Talk implements them too I think).

    http://www.globalipsound.com/solutio...oiceEngine.php looks like it's probably the software skype/google talk use. The datasheet for VoiceEngine Mobile lists Windows Mobile and Symbian supported.

    Although... VoiceEngine Embedded lists ARM processors. I wonder if that could be used somehow? Either way, they also seem to be adamant about using 400+MHz CPUs for it.

    Maybe SIP is the better option for PalmOS?

    </off_topic>
  4. sharpja's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #204  
    ar-cain,

    One more thing, if I might be so bold. Could you add a way to disconect from the network after logging off of AIM? Thanks.
  5. #205  
    Hey, new guy here.

    I have a quick question. I recently purchased the Treo 650 GSM with a Family Plan from Cingular, with no data. I was wondering if I will get charged for anything if I'm using Toccer.
  6.    #206  
    Quote Originally Posted by spirilis
    ahh, gotcha. Well, in its current implementation it's not really usable for me, so I think something arbitrarily designed would suffice--e.g., maintain a list of users who you've sent or received messages with, and a timestamp of when the last message (to or fro) occurred and then prune the list when that time exceeds some user-configurable value, maybe 1 hour. I think that's what I really want--A drop-down list I can choose from when I open up the app again after browsing the web/talking on the phone/doing whatever.

    I'm not up on how the Palm works from a programmer's standpoint, but I'd imagine you could keep this list in a database on the RAM and prune it on some trigger--maybe every time the user loads the buddy list, and just keep that dropdown available from the buddy list page.

    Any other ideas?
    Technically it's not too complicated. I just need to figure out where I can put the list. I may just hang it off of a menu. I'll add it to my todo list.
  7.    #207  
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpja
    ar-cain,

    One more thing, if I might be so bold. Could you add a way to disconect from the network after logging off of AIM? Thanks.
    Presently it does close the network library. After a period of network inactivity the OS should disconnect from the network. It doesn't disconnect immediately in case another app needs to make use of the network (so it doesn't have to go through the whole connection process again).

    I don't know how long the OS waits before disconnecting off the top of my head.
  8.    #208  
    Quote Originally Posted by hooktonfonix
    Hey, new guy here.

    I have a quick question. I recently purchased the Treo 650 GSM with a Family Plan from Cingular, with no data. I was wondering if I will get charged for anything if I'm using Toccer.

    Toccer needs data, but otherwise I have no specific insight to your situation. I will defer to others. I know others have used it successfully with Verizon without data plans and instead using their minutes. But I don't know how Cingular works in this regard.
  9. #209  
    Quote Originally Posted by ar-cain
    Technically it's not too complicated. I just need to figure out where I can put the list. I may just hang it off of a menu. I'll add it to my todo list.
    Yeah, I think a menu will work perfectly and it'll provide very quick access when you jump back into the app.
    Thanks for writing this, it's gonna be useful
  10. sharpja's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #210  
    Didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

    Quote Originally Posted by ar-cain
    Presently it does close the network library. After a period of network inactivity the OS should disconnect from the network. It doesn't disconnect immediately in case another app needs to make use of the network (so it doesn't have to go through the whole connection process again).

    I don't know how long the OS waits before disconnecting off the top of my head.
  11. #211  
    I just downloaded Toccer last night. Really nice little app. Love the simplicity and that it works.

    The only problem (unfortunately this is a serious problem) is the Battery drain. WOW...this thing is a killer. Today I left it connected to AIM, didnt really use it all, no phone calls etc, just left it connected while in standby on my Treo 650, and within 6 or so hours the batter was in the home stretch. I couldnt even get a full day if I were using the phone at all.

    Bummer. Otherwise it is absolutely incredible.

    Oh yeah, I have a CDMA (Sprint) Treo 650 if that helps.
  12. aph
    aph is offline
    aph's Avatar
    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    #212  
    Is there a reason that when someone IM's me now the window doesn't pop up? It saves the log of the convo but I have to scroll through the list of screen names and look for (1 New) to read the messages.
  13.    #213  
    Quote Originally Posted by aph
    Is there a reason that when someone IM's me now the window doesn't pop up? It saves the log of the convo but I have to scroll through the list of screen names and look for (1 New) to read the messages.
    Hrmm.. I haven't seen that problem nor have I gotten any reports. Which version are you using? Does this happen with all users, or just certain users in particular?

    In 0.9 preview 10, you can look under the Buddy List menu for Unread IMs, but that doesn't really solve the problem why this is happening.
  14. #214  
    ar-cain,

    I tried using this app yesterday and it worked great as long as I was on the sprint pcs network, but when I got outside the sprint network and was roaming the app kept trying to connect to the network and giving an error about every 5-10 seconds or so, even though the indicator on the lower right of the screen was showing 'offline'. Even when I switched to another app the 'trying to connect' message and the subsequent error message kept popping up. I finally had to delete the app to get it to stop.

    Could you possibly make two changes to your app...
    (1) put an 'exit' option on the menu to terminate the app
    (2) stop trying to connect when roaming; perhaps check periodically to see if your no longer roaming, but basically just sit idle until your back inside the network coverage area

    thanks!
  15. vebix's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    #215  
    I've got a "how things work" question. One of the cooler features of Toccer is that it's a direct connection to the AIM servers, vs. other apps (like VeriChat) which use their own proxy. However - has anybody else noticed how much faster messages arrive in VeriChat vs. Toccer? I've had a desktop client open (trillian) and tried running palm clients at the same time to see how much of a delay there was, and the Toccer delay is by far the longest. Sometimes 3 or 4 messages will go by on Trillian before Toccer gets anything (10+ seconds later). With VeriChat, it's almost immediate.

    Shouldn't it be the other way around?
  16.    #216  
    Quote Originally Posted by mportune
    I've got a "how things work" question. One of the cooler features of Toccer is that it's a direct connection to the AIM servers, vs. other apps (like VeriChat) which use their own proxy. However - has anybody else noticed how much faster messages arrive in VeriChat vs. Toccer? I've had a desktop client open (trillian) and tried running palm clients at the same time to see how much of a delay there was, and the Toccer delay is by far the longest. Sometimes 3 or 4 messages will go by on Trillian before Toccer gets anything (10+ seconds later). With VeriChat, it's almost immediate.

    Shouldn't it be the other way around?

    This is due to how Toccer schedules the "background thread". The PalmOS doesn't officially support multithreading, and so they way it is implemented in Toccer is a little hacky. Toccer tries to adaptively schedule its background thread in an attempt to find a balance between usability and battery life. If you're busy using it, the background thread runs more frequently and when you're idle, the background thread runs less frequently.

    Since I started development of Toccer, I've found at least one alternative method of doing threading (or more accurately forking for this method). But I can't tell for certain if this other method will perform better or not without some experimentation. Unfortunately, to implement this alternate method would require significant effort with no guarunteed gains.

    So for now, Toccer will continue using the same method. I may revisit the alternative method at a later date.
  17. vebix's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    #217  
    Quote Originally Posted by ar-cain
    This is due to how Toccer schedules the "background thread". The PalmOS doesn't officially support multithreading, and so they way it is implemented in Toccer is a little hacky. Toccer tries to adaptively schedule its background thread in an attempt to find a balance between usability and battery life. If you're busy using it, the background thread runs more frequently and when you're idle, the background thread runs less frequently.
    Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks for the info.
  18. #218  
    Just tried Toccer for the first time and I think it's great. Thanks for this needed app! The UI design is just what I was looking for, very clean and efficient.

    One small thing I noticed, when outside the app and the treo is in sleep mode, when a message comes in, it pops up and plays the alert tone, but doesn't vibrate until the treo goes back to sleep (1-3 minutes.) If I press the center button to unlock the keyguard, the phone will vibrate. Is there any way to make it vibrate when the alert tone is played? I noticed if the treo is not in sleep mode, this doesn't happen. I'm using preview 10 on an unlocked GSM phone (fw1.28/sw1.13) with keyguard activated and alert type: insistent, vibrate checked, alert volume 2 and alert tone: alarm triangle for "outside of app".
  19. #219  
    any changelog for preview 10?
    current: GSM Unlocked, SonyEricsson T610 Unlocked
    macuser: AI 1.5 & Pismo 500
  20.    #220  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsupp
    One small thing I noticed, when outside the app and the treo is in sleep mode, when a message comes in, it pops up and plays the alert tone, but doesn't vibrate until the treo goes back to sleep (1-3 minutes.) If I press the center button to unlock the keyguard, the phone will vibrate. Is there any way to make it vibrate when the alert tone is played? I noticed if the treo is not in sleep mode, this doesn't happen. I'm using preview 10 on an unlocked GSM phone (fw1.28/sw1.13) with keyguard activated and alert type: insistent, vibrate checked, alert volume 2 and alert tone: alarm triangle for "outside of app".
    That's really odd. It should vibrate and play the tone at basically the same time. One occurs before the other, but it shouldn't be minutes apart. I far as I know I'm doing the alerting the Palm recommended method. Someone else mentioned that they were having a similar issue.

    I've never heard of this before, so I'm wondering if it is either a bug I introduced in a recent version of Toccer, or a bug introduced by a new version of the firmware. I will have to look into it some more.

    Thanks for your feedback,

    Tienshiao
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions