Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello all,
    I know this topic might sound stupid to most of you but as as early adopter of the Treo 300 I have been happy in my little world.

Well over the 4th the T300 decided it wanted to swim in my pool. Now DOA, I have been told that they will send me a T650 by this Friday (thank GOODNESS for insurance) with a camera.

I have tried to piece together the pros and cons from the 600 to the 650 to see if the 650 will be a positive experience, seems like I might have been the only one with a 300.
    Though the camera and the screens sound great is an upgrade from the 300 to the 650 a good thing???
    Is there anything that I could do or not do to assure a positive experience??

Thank you for your time and opinions.
    -g-
    hah stick with the 300, the 650 does not do well in the pool.
    Treoing & Loving it
    welcome to 2005.

everything your 300 did will be done better by the 650.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The 300 was a pain in the ***. RBOD drove me crazy!
    You are going to be floored with the 650. It does everything and more, faster and better. And the battery lasts much longer!

In regards to ensuring a positive experience. I would highly reccomend a new user profile in hotsync. Do not try to port everything over initially.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    The 300 was a pain in the ***. RBOD drove me crazy!
    You are going to be floored with the 650. It does everything and more, faster and better. And the battery lasts much longer!

-rob
    AMEN for the battery life.

Honestly, I dunno how I used that 300. But when I had it, I had no idea it could get any better than that. My friends oohhhed aahhhed and sometimes even genuflected (credits of steinbej) at the 300, and they still do the same thing when I enter with the 650....except this time, they don't laugh afterwards.
  6.    #6  
    Thank you for your replies, I just received it today and have begun playing iwth it. HELLO 2005, this is just awesome, cant believe I waited so long but hell the price was right, my deductible.

The only thing it came with in the box was an AC cord, so I am now off to search for all the accessories and programs. A happy new Treo 650 user.
    -g-
    You've got to keep in mind the 80/20 rules that come into play here. 20% of the people here make 80% of the complaints, while the other 80% is happy as can be.

So it offers a very misleading perception about the T650. That is until you got one yourself . Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    You've got to keep in mind the 80/20 rules that come into play here. 20% of the people here make 80% of the complaints, while the other 80% is happy as can be.
    ...or put another way - probably less than 20% of Treo owners really put the Treo to any serious usage beyond a bling-bling phone with a couple games or other apps. The 20% that DO push the Treo further will often share with you the highs and lows of the device. If you don't notice issues with ANY device, you are not paying much attention.

A year or so ago I would have disputed the 80% that Darnell claims, but after meeting many people who own Treos (and/or have bought a spare from me) it's wierdly true. There are people who will spend $600 for a cell phone just to show it off or just play mahjong with it. The same crew that buy an iPod because everyone else has one and it "looks cool" rather than functionality. For them, they are often oblivious to RAM issues, loss of data or abilities to sync properly, or the lousiness of Graffiti 2. If they can call gramma and play Bookworm with their phone, that's all they need to be happy with it.

It's usually the people who have used Palms extensively for years and years that will notice the major and minor shortcomings as well as the true innovations of the Treo, as we have the experience of 10-20 Palm devices under our belt from which to compare.

Congratulations on an insurance replacement of the 650 for a 300 - you will DEFINITELY be pleased. I would never touch the 300 simply because of the absence of a mobile backup solution.. Not much worse than being thousands of miles from home and having your entire contact database instantly disappear with no practical way to recover. Pickup a copy of BackupMan for your 650- best data insurance you can buy for ten bucks, and chances are it will pay off sooner than you think.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Very well said Joad.
    As a former 300 user (and now very happy 650 user) it is very simple:

300 = IBM PC XT
    650 = IBM Pentium I

Can't wait for a Pentium IV!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    300 = IBM PC XT
    650 = IBM Pentium I

No kidding!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    As a former 300 user (and now very happy 650 user) it is very simple:

300 = IBM PC XT
    650 = IBM Pentium I

Hey Dale, how ya doing.... you have such a way with words....
    I'm back to a Treo650 now (GSM) after a try with a Symbian device (p910a). I keep coming back to Treos.
    Carl
    You will regret every minute of not having done it earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    You will regret every minute of not having done it earlier.
    You can say that again!

With every new Treo the flurry of cries (from upset people that often made their own problems but blamed Palm) slowed my upgrade time a little and then I had to regret it later.
  15.    #15  
    Yes I see exactly what you are all talking about just in my limited use, I cannot wait to exploit the potential even further.

But as it has been said those that are involved with identify pros and cons, now the cons:
    Though got the upgrade due to insurance and only had to pay the deductible

I did not receive the software CD's for the T650 and they are not available for download, I must got to a Sprint store and they do not seem to have it. Should have an FTP set up for this.

All my 300 accessories including; cradles, cables, and holders do not work. I need to buy new, I guess small price to pay but I am behind the proverbial 8 ball should have been told this on the phone could have purchased stuff from ebay or shopped around "vs" buying retail.

I am looking forward to the email push application as I am setting up fusemail, and all the other neat stuff.

I know there are other threads but if anyone wants to throw in there thoughts on software and things that can be done, please feel free.

Thanks again to all those that wrote and read your input and comments are welcomed.
    -g-
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie_g
    All my 300 accessories including; cradles, cables, and holders do not work. I need to buy new, I guess small price to pay but I am behind the proverbial 8 ball should have been told this on the phone could have purchased stuff from ebay or shopped around "vs" buying retail.
    As far as accessories go, here's what I'd recommend:

-Single sync/charge cable (i got one with a usb to ac adapter attachment for traveling use; found it on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...788262231&rd=1)
    -Rugged Car Charger at TreoCentral Store (don't get that small connector because the coil tends to pull it outta the phone quite easily)
    -Boxwave screen protectors
    -3-in-1 (should really be called 2-in-1) pen stylus
    -Bluetooth USB adapter (preferably Class 1; Linksys USBBT100 is a good one)
    -1 Gig SD card
    -SD card reader (if you've got a laptop that doesn't have one built in already, get a PCMCIA card reader if that slot's open; otherwise get usb one)
    -2.5mm to 3.5mm headset adapter (I also use those $10 Sony earbuds from Wal-Mart, very comfortable and good quality)
    -I haven't gotten the spare battery yet as I still have at least 40% charge at the end of each day and have a home and car charger....but I'm sure I'll get one in the future (prolly when a 2500mAh comes out, or the 2200mAh one gets to be dirt cheap on ebay)
    -I'd also recommend NOT getting a case. They're not worth it because the phone's pretty durable as it is. The Skin case sticks to the inside of your pocket when you try to pull it out and eGrips don't last long enough. If you must get a case, I'd recommend getting the Pacific Rim Hard Case (even though I haven't tried it yet; LINK: http://www.pacrimtechnologies.com/c...e0e105ccabc040f), the iVolution case (even though it's expensive), or more recently I've considered the skid-free tub strips just haven't found any yet (could look tacky, but they're cheap if you find 'em, prolly last awhile, and you shouldn't have a problem holding on to it)
    -I bought/used a Motorola HS810 bluetooth headset, but I don't really care for it. I'd prefer to use speakerphone myself.
    -Not accessory related, but I'd recommend getting State Farm PAP insurance on the phone ($30/yr, no deductible, cash in hand for whatever phone you choose) as it beats any carrier's insurance hands down.

You'll have to wait for the software in another post, 'cause this laptop I'm using is about to die.

Good Luck with your new Treo!

-Peace out
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    As far as accessories go, here's what I'd recommend:

-Single sync/charge cable (i got one with a usb to ac adapter attachment for traveling use; found it on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...788262231&rd=1)
    -Rugged Car Charger at TreoCentral Store (don't get that small connector because the coil tends to pull it outta the phone quite easily)
    -Boxwave screen protectors
    -3-in-1 (should really be called 2-in-1) pen stylus
    -Bluetooth USB adapter (preferably Class 1; Linksys USBBT100 is a good one)
    -1 Gig SD card
    -SD card reader (if you've got a laptop that doesn't have one built in already, get a PCMCIA card reader if that slot's open; otherwise get usb one)
    -2.5mm to 3.5mm headset adapter (I also use those $10 Sony earbuds from Wal-Mart, very comfortable and good quality)
    -I haven't gotten the spare battery yet as I still have at least 40% charge at the end of each day and have a home and car charger....but I'm sure I'll get one in the future (prolly when a 2500mAh comes out, or the 2200mAh one gets to be dirt cheap on ebay)
    -I'd also recommend NOT getting a case. They're not worth it because the phone's pretty durable as it is. The Skin case sticks to the inside of your pocket when you try to pull it out and eGrips don't last long enough. If you must get a case, I'd recommend getting the Pacific Rim Hard Case (even though I haven't tried it yet; LINK: http://www.pacrimtechnologies.com/c...e0e105ccabc040f), the iVolution case (even though it's expensive), or more recently I've considered the skid-free tub strips just haven't found any yet (could look tacky, but they're cheap if you find 'em, prolly last awhile, and you shouldn't have a problem holding on to it)
    -I bought/used a Motorola HS810 bluetooth headset, but I don't really care for it. I'd prefer to use speakerphone myself.
    -Not accessory related, but I'd recommend getting State Farm PAP insurance on the phone ($30/yr, no deductible, cash in hand for whatever phone you choose) as it beats any carrier's insurance hands down.

You'll have to wait for the software in another post, 'cause this laptop I'm using is about to die.

Good Luck with your new Treo!

-Peace out

if you buy all the above from Dan's cellular on ebay you will save lot of money.If you cann't find at Dan's go for TC store.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    You can say that again!

With every new Treo the flurry of cries (from upset people that often made their own problems but blamed Palm) slowed my upgrade time a little and then I had to regret it later.

Exacto
    Happen to me on my 600 and 65O. Not listening to anyone for the next device.
    Which offcourse is going to be T 700.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Exacto
    Happen to me on my 600 and 65O. Not listening to anyone for the next device.
    Which offcourse is going to be T 700.
    I upgraded directly from the 300 to 650 (since my 600s screen broke), so I could live with the voice quality and nvfs quirks. But had I still owned a working 600....I couldn't have recommended that anybody try it until 1.08 was released (in this respect, I think Verizon did a good job...but they don't have any reason for pulling that same 6 month wait crap on normal phones).
    Last edited by grndslm; 07/10/2005 at 02:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I understand that and think that the 300 to 650 upgrade is dramatic and well worth it. I guess my frustration with the 650 was that I had a rock solid 600 for a while and the 650 is giving me fits. I'm hoping that this will settle down over time. I'd still take a 650 over a 300, any day and think you'd be happy with it. I don't think that the 700 will be out for a while, especially not on Verizon as per grndslm's comments.

Regarding Verizon and their "quality control" BS line that they give about their phones coming out late, I had a Samsung Smartphone, the i600. Smartphones are great and think that the size factor was amazing. Quality control... well... Verizon really dropped the ball. I think that Verizon plays a lot of marketing games in order to explain some absurd reasoning for doing what it does, usually several months behind and playing catchup. The same thing happened with the Kyocera phones that "blew up" lol. I guess we are being charged $45 per month using the Treo on the Internet because they want to ensure "quality control" before they charge reasonably like Sprint and others... (for most of us i600 owners we were never told by VZW that we'd all of a sudden see $45 charges as opposed to the $4.99...)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast