1.    #1  
    I have given up on getting an unlock code from Cingular for my Cingular Blue Treo 650. I have spent hours on the phone and have gotten nowhere.

Has anyone tried to use any of the companies that claim to do a remote unlock by providing some kind of a download to generate your unlock code. I googled 3 or 4 companies that advertise this service. Does it work?

Also, does anyone know of any companies in Orange County, California that provide this service on a walk-in basis?

Thanks for any help.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    what do you mean by unlock.......
    I'd run a search here, there's info on the unlocking.

on1sony - unlocking the phone so you can use it across carriers.
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I bought an unlock credit on ebay for $35 from a company called Fonebooth. It was easy to do but it failed in the middle each time I tried it. The credit remained valid as the process did not complete.

Fonebooth like many other companies is reselling unlocks from a compy called JIC in the UK. I visited JIC's forum and picked up that the process must not be done behind a router or firewall and that some apps will cause issues. I hard reset my treo 650 and temporarily hooked my computer to the cable modem instead of the router. It worked perfectly and now my Cingular Treo 650 is unlocked.

This means that I can use any companies SIM in the phone. I use pay as you go SIMs when I go to Europe and save quite a bit over international roaming costs.

There are some recipes around for unlocking Sprint Treo 650s for free by doing a series of upgrades but I think it is a little dodgy. Maybe in a few months.

-Howard
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    unlocking a Sprint 650?
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Sorry, the Sprint thing was a bit of a mistake. Here is a link to what I was thinking of.

http://php.chol.com/~mines/photo/028/
    There is some discussion of using unlock services in this tread . Skip to about page 6 or 7. It looks like some people have had good luck using them.
    [QUOTE=deadhead]I have given up on getting an unlock code from Cingular for my Cingular Blue Treo 650. I have spent hours on the phone and have gotten nowhere.[QUOTE]

I have Cingular, also in Orange County. I called their customer service department, they said no problem, and the next day I received an email from this person giving me the unlock code for my phone:

Tiscareno, Robyn [robyn.tiscareno@cingular.com]

Why not send her an email directly and see if they can get it done for you.

I've been a subscriber with Cingular on 2 cellphones for many years. It may be they are reluctant to unlock a phone if they feel you are a transient with their service.

I also told them I was going to Europe (true) and wanted to buy a SIM card over there (not true), so maybe they felt that was a good and proper reason to unlock the phone for me.
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrotor
    Sorry, the Sprint thing was a bit of a mistake. Here is a link to what I was thinking of.

http://php.chol.com/~mines/photo/028/
    Oh yeah, I read a pretty indepth article on that when the first Sprint 650's came out. The only problem I remember with doing this is forgetting that you told them you had something other than a 650 later or down the road.