Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    think ur in the wrong forum for this question bro....
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    A true scientific study conducted by this year's spelling champion.
    I could outspell you any day...any time...any word. But at any rate, words I'm unsure of are always checked on GOOGLE (CTRL + T; ALT + HOME; type "define:putwordhere"; and finally CTRL + W) before posting so that people can understand what I'm talking about. But seeing as how I'm from Mississippi, I don't need to do that often since I don't have that many words in my vocabulary to look up. The yers and yerselfs are one side of my Mississippian personality that I'm constantly being torn between...other than the red neck I'm also a gangsta. You know how it is, G!

But naw dude, no scientific study. You could throw up a poll on TC if you really wanted to find how many people are dissatisfied though. I'm just throwing in my own opinion and echoing what almost every journalist is saying about the phone. Sure maybe an i730 or something similar will seem like a good deal to a couple journalists for like 3 months and then the Treo 700 comes out. BAM! Didn't see that one comin' did you?!? Keeps 'em ahead for another 6-8 months and then Palm better truly start releasing a "family of treos".

Say what you want, but I still say Palm will be selling the crap out of their Treos just like Apple sells iPod hotcakes. And just to compare Palms to Palms, the Treo will prolly outsell all Windows Mobile phones combined until Palm Linux comes out....and then it won't even be funny how far ahead they'll jump in front of those Windows clowns (Awfully broad statement, praying I won't regret it...Only basing this on the fact that there are so many current Treo users who don't see the need to cross-over to Windows land due to our pastimes with the Palm OS...and also basing this on the fact that PalmSource still actually knows how to design an operating system and write code....Cobalt was a flop, this is the real reason I have a tiny bit of uncertainty for the future...but only tiny).

I'm guessing that you really don't work in a large corporate environment since you have plenty of time on your hands to (a) be tempted to hard reset your phone and (b) foolishly rely upon any backup to just restore your phone to the same condition it was in. Read the threads here. I'm not the only one who finds that backup on VFS doesn't work in a consistent, reliable fashion. Reading more I've found that the WiFi "hack" is flaky and is probably more trouble than it's worth. It's also not built in and requires spending another $100 for a separate SD card as well. This is as opposed to simply buying a device that has it built in and is fully supported and will also interface with your company contact management and email without getting railed by your IT department that you've done something to your phone that they don't want to touch.
    How'd you guess that...'cause I've got nothing better to do in the summer time but learn something new about this phone that just amazes me and rip at you corporate folk?? But yes, to answer your question, I am a college student. I'd never work in a large corporate environment, 'cause I'm a communist at heart. Hope the Patriot Act doesn't give me any trouble for saying that!

VfsBackup is not the same as VFSBackup by the way. I've tried Vfs since it was free and it seemed to back up everything except for pics and videos, which i logically started to save on the card. But I do use Resco Explorer since I paid for it and brags about NVFS compatibility on their website.

Don't have any comments to the WiFi as I neither live on a college campus, nor work for a business that lies beneath a constant WiFi field.

Perhaps I may have had an older version of SoundRec but the sound quality does not compare to the Audacity program, if sound recording is of value to you. I think that recording analog sounds to digital might involve a number of factors with the folks at Audacity took into account. Their specialty is apparently in this area and I found them when I first had my Palm Tungsten C modified with a built in microphone and they offered it. Very good people, great support and really a great working (not the prettiest) product.
    I already said: "I think that if you tried messing around with the options in SoundRec, you'd find something that gives you the quality you're looking for. If you want quality, why are you compressing??" Maybe you did get an old version, who knows...but it ain't my fault.

grndslm... grow up. It's not impressive to sound like an obnoxious, spoiled brat. I question if you've ever worked in a large corporate environment and had to deal with the pros and cons of using each phone for business and as a potential blackberry alternative. You'd have a different attitude and "prolly" be far more respectful of others.
    Look buddy, I wouldn't be using this phone if it was crap. I've never met a person who wasn't in awe of this phone. I've met a couple who said they didn't think it was that great, until I said I was getting tired of it and told them I'd sell it to 'em for $200...and then their eyes light up, "REALLY?!?" But since I have actually used this phone, I understand how it could help everyone out in so many ways it's unreal. The functionality of this phone constantly amazes me more than others, though...that's the funny part. The only problem is that there's not enough grndslms to tell them all about it. You're still one of those people, slinky, (we call you guys, "normies") as you haven't really gained experience with this phone yet.

As for growing up...I'm sorry Dad. Didn't know that 19 year olds had to take life seriously. I'm really not trying to be obnoxious [it's just the way I react to people such as yourself...I can tolerate dumb people, the average Mississippian isn't typically as smart as other Americans, but I just can't tolerate jackasses, that's all]. I'm just trying to show people how much of a jerk face you are for not reading what I've written to you and more specifically going around and spreading fallacies about some feature of this phone. I'm perpetually having to correct something you say, and so far you've failed to impress me as somebody in the large corporate world. You grow up, playa and learn how to play ball! You're going to at least have to read what's on this forum and more importantly gain some EXPERIENCE with the phone before you start shooting off advice like you've used this phone for longer than 5 and a half days. You just don't know, bro!!

Don't make me say it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by mc2714
    The one place for me where soundrec falls down is that there doesnt appear to be a way to synch files with the desktop-- I have to pull them off with my card reader. For free sw. I can live with that I guess.
    Does anything off the card sync or not sync if you leave it in?? I have a PCMCIA card reader....much easier to deal with a full computer whenever possible, so I take it out before some syncage.

All I'm saying is that SoundRec gets the job done and shouldn't be thrown outta the picture.
    I will say this much -- if you're using it for voice, make sure you get a good SD card that is fast enough to write. I've found that the cheap ones with a slow write speed are not optimal for recording purposes.
    I think it's been shown before that the SD card read/write speeds are pretty much a sham....maybe unless you're using it in a card reader.

Make sure you get a cheap (yet large) SD card and a cheap SD card reader!!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I could outspell you any day...any time...any word. .... I've never met a person who wasn't in awe of this phone.....As for growing up...I'm sorry Dad. Didn't know that 19 year olds had to take life seriously. I'm really not trying to be obnoxious [it's just the way I react to people such as yourself...I can tolerate dumb people, the average Mississippian isn't typically as smart as other Americans, but I just can't tolerate jackasses, that's all]. I'm just trying to show people how much of a jerk face you are for not reading what I've written to you and more specifically going around and spreading fallacies about some feature of this phone. I'm perpetually having to correct something you say, and so far you've failed to impress me as somebody in the large corporate world. You grow up, playa and learn how to play ball!
    After reading your rambling wannabe hip-hop posts I can say that you shouldn't be condescending to the average Mississippi resident. If you think that phone manufacturers aren't seriously concerned about the needs of the corporate environment, then I suggest you get your head out of your town in Mississippi. There are many smart, ambitious people you've never met in large cities and they have much you can learn from. Being 19 is no excuse for being obnoxious or irresponsible. It scares me to think that you should be allowed to drive a car. I hope your daddy isn't paying your phone bill. I'm hoping you can put your time to better use and quit flaming people who don't share your opinion.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I think it's been shown before that the SD card read/write speeds are pretty much a sham....maybe unless you're using it in a card reader.

Make sure you get a cheap (yet large) SD card and a cheap SD card reader!!
    Actually, I had a problem with a cheap card I bought (Kingston I think.) The 512KB was at least twice as slow as the Sandisk, if not more. The write speed is what caused distortion in my audio files. I think that it mostly applies with the amount of data that you are trying to write at one time and I may have been using uncompressed audio... can't remember.

How'd you guess that...'cause I've got nothing better to do in the summer time but learn something new about this phone that just amazes me and rip at you corporate folk?? But yes, to answer your question, I am a college student. I'd never work in a large corporate environment, 'cause I'm a communist at heart. Hope the Patriot Act doesn't give me any trouble for saying that!
    Well this fully explains a lot about grndslm's statements in this other thread.

No college kid in a small rural area would understand the need for WiFi. That amoung other things....

slinky, thanks for exposing this.
    Does anything off the card sync or not sync if you leave it in?? I have a PCMCIA card reader....much easier to deal with a full computer whenever possible, so I take it out before some syncage.

All I'm saying is that SoundRec gets the job done and shouldn't be thrown outta the picture.

Uh, yeah... most sw I have that either resides, or just stores data on the card synchs to somthing on my desktop. Docs To Go, SplashData, etc. Most of the better voice recoders do, just not the freebee.
    Actually, I had a problem with a cheap card I bought (Kingston I think.) The 512KB was at least twice as slow as the Sandisk, if not more. The write speed is what caused distortion in my audio files. I think that it mostly applies with the amount of data that you are trying to write at one time and I may have been using uncompressed audio... can't remember.

Cant speak for Treo specifically, but there is a DRAMATIC difference on access speed on my digital camera, depending on which card I have in! There is a noticable lag (not a big deal, but you can clock it) with my "standard" SanDisk card when writing, and a lesser delay when reading. With a SanDisk Ultra II, ZERO delay unless I pop off something like 15 shots back-to-back.
    After reading your rambling wannabe hip-hop posts I can say that you shouldn't be condescending to the average Mississippi resident. If you think that phone manufacturers aren't seriously concerned about the needs of the corporate environment, then I suggest you get your head out of your town in Mississippi. There are many smart, ambitious people you've never met in large cities and they have much you can learn from. Being 19 is no excuse for being obnoxious or irresponsible. It scares me to think that you should be allowed to drive a car. I hope your daddy isn't paying your phone bill. I'm hoping you can put your time to better use and quit flaming people who don't share your opinion.
    Wannabe hip-hop?? I am hip hop, Cuz! I'm not condescending to the average Missippi resident. What is it with you and your disregard for numbers. We're the poorest and dumbest state in the union...but we are the friendliest! (Another reason I dislike the greed that capitalism creates) You're prolly the type of person who can't call a fat person fat. I do it all the time, and they call me skinny. ..I'm not like attractive skinny, I'm like Ethiopian skinny. It's us just being honest with each other; we are who we are, man.

I love how in one friggin' post I mention I'm a 19 year old from Mississippi and then my two favorite posters, slinky and Darnell have to bring it up against me as if THAT'S why I'm wrong. I should dare hope you save yourself the embarrassment and not post your age and profession, good sir. (Apparently, you assume all cities/towns in Mississippi are small, I guess...FYI, my city's got 75,000 people, the greater gulf coast has around 200,000-250,000. It's not like I'm out in the woods, bro). Not trying to brag, but you think I've ever had a smartphone before this phone and I don't travel. I do dude, all the time. Going to Tulane in New Orleans provided me a vast number of friends to choose from...my freshman class had a student from every state, except for South Dakota, I believe. The first time I actually got to meet semi-intelligent conservatives!! But the thing about you conservatives is that you're constantly bringing up stuff irrelevant to what you're arguing about...or you try and spin sheet around to make you look right. Like Fox having "Fair and Balanced" newscasting...right!

I'm seriously about to start making some polls so that at least one of us shuts up.
    Uh, yeah... most sw I have that either resides, or just stores data on the card synchs to somthing on my desktop. Docs To Go, SplashData, etc. Most of the better voice recoders do, just not the freebee.
    Strange...yea, I just use the card reader...takes too long to sync all my movies and songs when I only want them on the card.

Cant speak for Treo specifically, but there is a DRAMATIC difference on access speed on my digital camera, depending on which card I have in! There is a noticable lag (not a big deal, but you can clock it) with my "standard" SanDisk card when writing, and a lesser delay when reading. With a SanDisk Ultra II, ZERO delay unless I pop off something like 15 shots back-to-back.
    I'm not doubting that some cards are possibly faster than others if in other devices, like a card reader, or perhaps a digital camera, even. But I thought that there was an SDIO or some other hardware limitation on the Treo which made the whole speed debate go to crap.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Wannabe hip-hop?? I am hip hop, Cuz! I'm not condescending to the average Missippi resident. What is it with you and your disregard for numbers. We're the poorest and dumbest state in the union...but we are the friendliest!
    I'll address this post simply because it's too funny. First of all, regarding your representation that MI residents are the "dumbest" in the union, you should probably just speak for yourself. I'm sure many MI residents don't care to have such a tag. You're also calling yourself the friendliest person here (despite the fact that you're the only one flaming.)

You're prolly the type of person who can't call a fat person fat. I do it all the time, and they call me skinny. ..I'm not like attractive skinny, I'm like Ethiopian skinny. It's us just being honest with each other; we are who we are, man.
    This is why I think you should perhaps take a step back and learn to respect others. Do you think that a fat person really needs to be told that they are fat? Do you think that they are totally unaware of your astute observation? Has it ever once occurred to you that doing so might be rubbing salt in an open wound and really making that person feel even worse about themselves? What are you accomplishing by doing this? Perhaps they are far more sensitive about their weight issue than you are about yours and you should realize that many are. It's called "thoughtfulness" and "awareness" and is usually missed by people who are obsessed with their own lives.

you assume all cities/towns in Mississippi are small, I guess...FYI, my city's got 75,000 people, the greater gulf coast has around 200,000-250,000. It's not like I'm out in the woods, bro). Not trying to brag, but you think I've ever had a smartphone before this phone and I don't travel. I do dude, all the time. Going to Tulane in New Orleans provided me a vast number of friends to choose from...my freshman class had a student from every state, except for South Dakota, I believe. The first time I actually got to meet semi-intelligent conservatives!! But the thing about you conservatives is that you're constantly bringing up stuff irrelevant to what you're arguing about...or you try and spin sheet around to make you look right. Like Fox having "Fair and Balanced" newscasting...right!
    Evidently you haven't a clue what is used in large cities like Chicago, LA, New York and San Francisco with populations in the ten millions. Nor are you familiar with the needs of families. Perhaps your opinion for your limited market segment might not be an accurate reflection of the whole picture and you might do best doing some listening instead of the lecturing.

When you graduate from college you'll begin to realize that as much as many of us would like the world to be a better place where everyone gets along and helps out the community, it isn't that way. In fact, most are in it looking out for numero uno and your "friends forever" in college might be the next "greedy capitalist" that you encounter. While I would hope that Palm and other companies would take the high road and always strive to build the better mousetrap, I'm not naive to the fact that they have marketing departments that deliberately try to sell us inferior products if it means that they can sell us practically the same thing twice. That's why I love the scientists and detest many of the exploiters of their inventions. The facts are unfortunately what they are and, as you get older, you don't like them any more than you did in college but you learn to accept that the harsh realities of life will exist. As distasteful as it may be, the fact is that corporate money is frequently what influences and drives the product you see.

I'm seriously about to start making some polls so that at least one of us shuts up.
    I don't want or need to beat up on a teenager. I'm sympathetic to understanding where you are coming from and won't respond to any further vitriolic comments after this post. Just do yourself a favor and open your eyes and ears and try to be considerate of other people and their opinions. Being the kind of person who "calls somebody fat" when they are isn't going to win you many friends nor positively influence people. That said, while the Treo 650 can be fun and a big part of life, it's just a phone. Peace... out.
    slinky and grndslm,

If you cannot keep your discussions civil, do it somewhere else.

Consider as a reminder and a warning.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 07/09/2005 at 12:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    slinky and grndslm,

If you cannot keep your discussions civil, do it somewhere else.

Consider as a reminder and a warning.
    Ronbo...you're a total buzzkill...I really wish some other mod would allow SOME of those topics/polls to stay in the 650 section. They're obviously not directly related, but enough to leave them in the section where everybody actually reads from...maybe for just a day or two?? MAYBE!!??
    Ronbo...you're a total buzzkill...I really wish some other mod would allow SOME of those topics/polls to stay in the 650 section. They're obviously not directly related, but enough to leave them in the section where everybody actually reads from...maybe for just a day or two?? MAYBE!!??
    We don't work that way.

Your topic gets read by most users generally, since they would often pick new post link regardless of where most of the activities are.

We may delay moving because we are not logged on or no access to moderating options but eventually topics gets moved and/or deleted.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    We don't work that way.

Your topic gets read by most users generally, since they would often pick new post link regardless of where most of the activities are.

We may delay moving because we are not logged on or no access to moderating options but eventually topics gets moved and/or deleted.
    I'll be sure to remember that. Next time I decide to break the rules, I'll post at 10am instead of 3am, so that by 10am, generally more people will see it. Thanks. :-P
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12