1.    #1  
    In trying to determine the best Bluetooth GPS solution for my T650, I searched the posts at Treocentral and other sites. In particular I loved teh extensive comparison of the TomTom Navigator to the Mapopolis Navcard that is located here:

Comparison of TomTom Navigator to Mapopolis Navcard

It seems clear to me that the TomTom5 is the best solution based on my last two years of using the Hertz neverlost system (things like rerouting speed are too important to ignore). I have three questions I have not been able to answer and would like some help:

(1) Where can you buy TomTom Navigator 5? I can only find the older Navigator 2004.
    (2) Is there such a thing as a BT GPS reciever that can swtich to wired mode (turn off GPS and plug into Treo) so that you can use your BT headset?
    (3) Is there a better solution that I missed?

Thanks,

Dave
    Last edited by dheymann; 07/06/2005 at 04:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I don't think tomtom5 is out in Us only Euro.

check www.semsons.com they have a bluetooth/wired GPS
    Sprint 700p
    That's a great link. Will prolly buy solution from their pretty soon.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    check www.semsons.com they have a bluetooth/wired GPS

Do you know the name of that item. I searched all over that site and could not find a BT antenna that said it had a wired option.
    Quote Originally Posted by dheymann
    (1) Where can you buy TomTom Navigator 5? I can only find the older Navigator 2004.

These folks are apparently finding Nav 5...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...5&page=1&pp=20
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    ya they discontinued it, delorme earthmate..

http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=365

how about this it converts any mouse gps to bluetooth??

search on gpspassion.com to find more options
    Sprint 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by dheymann
    In trying to determine the best Bluetooth GPS solution for my T650, I searched the posts at Treocentral and other sites. In particular I loved teh extensive comparison of the TomTom Navigator to the Mapopolis Navcard that is located here:

Comparison of TomTom Navigator to Mapopolis Navcard

It seems clear to me that the TomTom5 is the best solution based on my last two years of using the Hertz neverlost system (things like rerouting speed are too important to ignore). I have three questions I have not been able to answer and would like some help:

(2) Is there such a thing as a BT GPS reciever that can swtich to wired mode (turn off GPS and plug into Treo) so that you can use your BT headset?
    (3) Is there a better solution that I missed?

Thanks,

Dave
    I read the review and was leaning towards mapopolis afterwards. Anyone using it?
    Quote Originally Posted by camels1993
    I read the review and was leaning towards mapopolis afterwards. Anyone using it?
    The review is comparing TomTom Navigator 2004 and is, therefore, somewhat dated. They have just released TomTom Navigator 5, which has many enhancements the author would not have been able to address in the review. I would suggest you look at TomTom Navigator 5 since it looks to be a great product with some realtime traffic information, etc...
    I believe it works using Bluetooth only. Has anyone used this GPS?
    I just purchased TomTom Navigator 5 from TigerGPS.com. Good price and prompt shipment. I've had some difficulty with the installation but the problems seem to be working out. The standard bundle includes a TomTom GPS MkII which can only be connected by bluetooth, but it is very compact, can be carried in your pocket and seems to track even if it doesn't have a sky view. If you want a different GPS unit, then semons may be a good alternative as I believe they offer flexible bundles.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    You can get TT5 at any Frys electronic store or you can order it online for 299. it comes with the TT bluetooth Gps unit and I also bought the Mapopolis Navigator card and the huge differences are two fold:

1. TT5 does instant re-routing if you miss an exit, so within like 2-3 seconds
    max you have a new route.

2. TT5 has real time traffic updates for most major metro US areas. Mapopolis used to but discontinued it.

Mapopolis is very slow like a reroute will take like 20-45 seconds and you never know what traffic will be like. In LA TT5 has been a life saver. The blue tooth TT5 that TT makes is very good and once out of every ten times I turn it on I have to go out of the TT5 program and then restart it to aquire the gps signal.

Mapopolis nav card is 145.00 plus you need a gps device vs TT5 already bundled and in stock at Frys and it is 299 but worth every penny.
    The Helen Keller of Treo Central
    Quote Originally Posted by kgilbertsen
    I believe it works using Bluetooth only. Has anyone used this GPS?
    I have been using the BlueLogger for about 6 or 7 months now. I have had no problems with the device. Connects quickly and is fairly accurate. I'm not extremely happy with the Street Atlas 2005 that comes with it. It does a decent job, but you have to do most of the mapping on your computer before you send it to the SD card. If not, it takes forever to map a route. I have ordered TomTom 5 Software Only bundle from TigerGPS but there's no telling how long it will take to get here.

But again, the GPS works great. When I use it with my laptop it works excellent. Talking navigation, the hole nine yards. It's just the handheld version of Street Atlas that I'm not as fond of.
    So it's the Handheld version of SA that's not so hot? Are you using the 'regular' Street Atlas on your laptop? If so, how does it perform? I wonder if the 2006 version of SA is going to work any better in this regard. DeLorme isn't accepting orders for the Blue Logger bundled with their software as the 2006 version isn't going to ship until August some time.
    Anyone know how TT5 compares to the DeLorme software?
    The regular Street Atlas 2005 with my laptop works great. Good directions and POI's. I have the entire United States installed and I can change routes extremely easy. I just wish the handheld version worked as good. Or, even half as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1107
    2. TT5 has real time traffic updates for most major metro US areas.
    mark1107,
    Is there a list of the US areas there the TT5 traffic is available? I've looked at the tomtom.com site and they don't show availability in the US at all. I'd be interested if it is available in SFBay area. I've been holding off implemeting the plus features hoping they'd announce availability here. Also, what does the TT5 traffic info service cost in the LA area?