1.    #1  
    how can i listen to an .wmv formatted email on my treo?
    i would assume you mean a .wmv attachment in your email and the answer is no and you cannot play any .wmv on your treo either
    wmv is video not audio, and wmv's can be played using the default photo/video package that comes on the 650.

you'll need to save it to your card first
  4.    #4  
    so who is right?
    WTF? WMV will not play native on the Treo 650, ASF will. You must use a free application named TCPMP. Last I checked it cannot decode the audio, but will decode the video. As for a "WMV formatted email", I think you got confused and are talking about a .WMV attachment on the email.

TCPMP is the answer you are looking for. Not sure why folks are giving you these wrong answers.
    didnt know about the difference between the audio and video but after looking around it seems that tcpmp will play the video but no audio attached to the video sry for the confusion
  7.    #7  
    ok evilg- thanks...and yes i meant attachments to email i get. i want to view/listen to them. i will get tcpmp
    If you drag and drop the file into your Palm Desktop Media section, it will convert it and place it on your treo. You can then play it.
    yes - thanks kramsauer - that's how I did it, I just tried a few ways & forgot the one that worked...
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    If you drag and drop the file into your Palm Desktop Media section, it will convert it and place it on your treo. You can then play it.
    Right, and it's actually converting it to .ASF
    evilghost is right...no native wmv support on palmos...yet that is. For this it will probably need to be down by big dev like Kinoma or by palmsource itself who can afford the large $$ lisencing fees M$ charges for non-windoze platforms...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 07/11/2005 at 10:46 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    ASF and WMV are the same format - see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=284094

The "conversion" from WMA to ASF seems to reduce the kbs somewhat - on one I tried it reduced it from 500 to 450 kbs or so.
    Yes, and in this thread a person or two has mentioned that they don't experience any conversion at all - the file stays as .wmv.

All in all, the answer is yes, .wmv files can be played natively on a 650.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    It actually does convert to ASF. It's a bit confusing because after you drag the WMV (or MPG or other format movie) to QuickInstall, the file name is displayed with its original extension. However, the file is converted to ASF, as you can verify by looking at the filename on your SD card (with FileZ) after syncing.
    Oh I see - gotcha. Well at least there's no user conversion that has to be done, which can save a bit of hassle for some people since it's done automatically.
    ...and "thank you" for the info!
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    ...and "thank you" for the info!
    When I put a .wmv on my SD card the native player won't play it...
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    You have to drop the video on the QuickInstall tool or the Media application in Palm desktop. Drop it on the SD card. Then it will be converted to ASF format (I think its converting the video stream to MPEG-4). Then you should HotSync. You will then be able to play the video in the Palm "Media" application.
    Quote Originally Posted by WPWoodJr
    You have to drop the video on the QuickInstall tool or the Media application in Palm desktop. Drop it on the SD card. Then it will be converted to ASF format (I think its converting the video stream to MPEG-4). Then you should HotSync. You will then be able to play the video in the Palm "Media" application.
    I'm so anti HOTSYNC... I haven't hotsynced in a while. I just install .prc's over the web and I don't hotsync contacts I just create them on the Treo. I use the built in calendar and not anything on my computer. My Treo is selfcontained... And anything on my SD card get's put on or taken off via an SD card reader.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    I'm so anti HOTSYNC... I haven't hotsynced in a while. I just install .prc's over the web and I don't hotsync contacts I just create them on the Treo. I use the built in calendar and not anything on my computer. My Treo is selfcontained... And anything on my SD card get's put on or taken off via an SD card reader.
    OK, you can still do this. Drop the file into the Media app in the Palm Desktop. It will be converted. Then go to:

C:\Program Files\palmOne\<username>\Photos\offline copy location\<card number>

You will find the .ASF file there and can copy it using a card reader.