1.    #1  
    I was seriously considering a BB b/c of the email but I am being told that we may have a corporate (sort of patched) solution but a solution nonetheless. I would like to hear from those of you who stuck it out on their Cingular 650s if it is worth it. I use my phone for business so I can't be out for very long and certainly can't live with a bunch of dropped calls. I have read that the volume issue is resolved via 3rd party software, so I am really just looking to find out how stable a new phone today would be on the latest firmware. Also, if you recently got a Cingular 650, if that is more stable that the 1Q ones.

I don't have long to decide b/c I have until the end of July to port my # to a new carrier and Cingular is the best option in my area.

Thanks!
    Palm Personal -> Palm Professional -> Handspring Visor -> iPAQ 6350 -> Treo 650???
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    A BB would require a BB plan from Cingular, which would run you about 20 bucks or more since I am not sure about or know BB that well and Treo would require a PDA plan which unlimited with voice is for 40 extra (I think).

Treo 650 technically has more applications that would help your everyday activities and business related functions. Accessing Emails depends on what kind of service your service provider provide (thru corporate VPN, everyday free/paid email service). Usually can be archived with just a little configuration and you are ready to go. Web browsing is pretty easy, built in Blazer will do the job as long as the site you are browsing is not very complicated with bunch of special effect codes blah blah blah.

Worth the try, besides, 30 days trial, if you don't like it, send it back.
    I have a Cingular branded 650 and I'm very happy with it. Hey, nothing's perfect. I get the occasional odd reset or loss of preferences but that's what back ups are for.

I do find the ear piece is not loud enough (but I also find this on most phones) but that's solved with Volume Care.

Cingular also seems to be lagging far behind in the update category. Both Sprint and the unlocked GSM Treo's have gotten firmware upgrades recently while Cingular has not. You may want to consider getting an unlocked version if that's important to you.

As for your stability question..... Yes, the bugs with things like voicemail etc. have been fixed in the Treo's currently being released.
  4.    #4  
    Since corporate is paying for it either way, cost won't be the main issue.

I'm just wondering if a Cingular phone that has very few apps loaded will be rock solid ( I can deal with an occaisional freeze, but daily would drive me nuts). I plan on adding apps if the Treo holds up, but can live without b/c I wouldn't get those apps on a BB. I just like the Treo better. Don't need to be sold on the advantages of Treo vs BB (already did that thread over a month ago).
    Palm Personal -> Palm Professional -> Handspring Visor -> iPAQ 6350 -> Treo 650???
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFrogs
    I'm just wondering if a Cingular phone that has very few apps loaded will be rock solid ( I can deal with an occaisional freeze, but daily would drive me nuts).
    I can say this. I have been frequenting this website as well as the other major one (MTDN) for the last 4 months, just waiting to buy a Cingular branded Treo (because I just wanted to do an upgrade without switching plans). From reading all the posts for months, I thought that two things I'd have to worry about the most were 1) instability, and 2) low volume. I even waited just hoping that the firmware upgrade would come out a few weeks ago.

Finally deciding to take the plunge, I picked up my Cingular branded Treo last Friday. (This after chickening out the week before).
    Running it fresh for 2 days - I've had no resets, nothing strange at all. I then installed Palm Desktop and Hotsynched my Outlook contacts and calendar, and just used it as a phone, organizer, camera, mp3 player and messager (SMS, MMS). I have not had any freezes or resets. Additionally, I've made and received phone calls and the earpiece volume seems adequate (I work on a production floor with some pretty loud automated assembly).

By taking everyone's advice and running it stock for the first few days, I have found that at least the phone works properly without anything else installed. I can also say that I am very happy I made this purchase.

(I hope I don't regret writing any of this, because Mr. Murphy is always watching)
  6.    #6  
    Thanks mistercoffee1. That makes me feel better. I will know today whether I am getting the Treo or the BB with the Treo being the favored. Sounds like I can get an email solution on the Treo that matches what I have now on my BB loaner.

I hope Murphy stays away. BTW, what firmware did your Treo come with? Also are you planning on upgrading it (if it is not the latest - 1.28 I think)? The other thing I saw was that VolumeCare was an app to resolve volume issues and I didn't see anyone having issues using that app.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFrogs
    Thanks mistercoffee1. That makes me feel better. I will know today whether I am getting the Treo or the BB with the Treo being the favored. Sounds like I can get an email solution on the Treo that matches what I have now on my BB loaner.

I hope Murphy stays away. BTW, what firmware did your Treo come with? Also are you planning on upgrading it (if it is not the latest - 1.28 I think)? The other thing I saw was that VolumeCare was an app to resolve volume issues and I didn't see anyone having issues using that app.
    GoFrogs:

My Treo came with Firmware 01.05, Software Treo650-1.04-CNG, Hardware A.

I don't have anything installed at this point besides Docs to Go, so space is not really at a premium. Barring any stability or memory issues, I'll be content to wait for the official Cingular update (ie. Hell to freeze over). I don't really want to try the unlocked 1.28 firmware at this point.
    And so far, I haven't had an absolute need for VolumeCare (though I may try it out to see what it does). I'm pretty satisfied with the volume of the internal and external speaker and microphone. With a wired headset, the speaker is very loud, but the microphone is so-so if you let it dangle. If you hold it close to your mouth, it's good. I have not tried any other headsets.

Good luck, and lemme know what you end up with.
  8.    #8  
    Arg, SunCom won't let me out of my contract so I may have to wait until next March!!

I did get an interesting comment from a Verizon sales rep. They hate the Treo and have only had problems with it. Most of them get returned. He told me that if I got a Treo and it didn't work, they would only replace it one time (b/c of some bogus $500 re-stocking blah blah). That doesn't sound right to me. If it doesn't work they should replace it until it does work??? That is scaring me from Verizon...