1.    #1  
    Any recommendations for IM clients that work without text messaging

I used to use many years ago an AIM client when I had a wireless modem for my Palm Pilot.

Is there an integrated client that works for various IM systems (mainly YIM and AIM,perhaps MSN although I rarely use...)
    You should really try a search (assuming you havent)...tons of info out there that will produce numerous options for you. Verichat, Causserie, Agile, etc....
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

3.    #3  
    As a child,I was always told it was bad practice to run around making what may well turn out to be unfounded assumptions.That comment aside,my question was directed as to which application people prefer.

I did check out the various options that I encountered in that search it was assumed I did not perform-I am not opposed to paying for an application and a subsequent licensing or renewal fee,however my decision as to whether or not to do so is largely based on whether a particular application (or its use) is mission critical,as opposed to something I'd merely just like to have.All of these "like to have's" can get very costly very quickly.And its always good to have the opinions of those who may be more inclined towards certain types of products and may have insight beyond what may have turned up in any searches of various bbs.

I could live with the current set up where I do most of my IM messaging via text messaging since the txt msgs are not costing me anything,I was simply seeking a more elegant all in one solution.

Thanks for the search suggestion .
    Quote Originally Posted by narbeauchamp
    As a child,I was always told it was bad practice to run around making what may well turn out to be unfounded assumptions.That comment aside,my question was directed as to which application people prefer.
    Once again, SEARCH!!!

Cripes, do you need to be spoonfed?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=87884
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=85616
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=80826
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=81090

for starters. Here's a tip, when someone say they like Causerie, you can assume they prefer that one. Likewise when someone says they like Verichat, feel free to take it as they prefer Verichat. Same with Agile or Burmeister...

Why the Hell is this so hard for you to figure out?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I chose VeriChat, and like it so far, but I've only used it for a day. I basically came to this decision based on what I read here. It was between that and Causserie, and I seemed to find fewer people having problems with VeriChat.

A few off-topic comments:

1. I feel your frustration about being told to search. This is a discussion forum, and not a dictionary. Forums like this are likely to draw a lot of new users who are very likely to ask questions that have been answered before. I've been running several succesful forums since "Matt's WWWboard" was the only forum software in existence, and I run off people who are constantly crying "that's been asked, used the search". I, for one, appreciate the board activity that (even) repeat questions bring. Also, with the rapid pace that software is often updated, old answers to the same question may not apply to today's usage.

2. I also feel your frustration on the price of stuff. I've been a Palm user since the 512k PalmPilot... back when every piece of software was free. Since I live/work from home, and rarely leave the house, this is especially frustrating for me. I just paid $30 for an Email client that I'll use maybe once a month. But, this is a free market economy. Obviously the demand is there, or the supply wouldn't be so expensive.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Doody
    I feel your frustration about being told to search. This is a discussion forum, and not a dictionary. Forums like this are likely to draw a lot of new users who are very likely to ask questions that have been answered before.
    Yea, nothing personal, but I'm a lot more irritated by the incessant demands to search than by repeated discussions. Granted, many topics are belabored but to imply that most everything that is important has already been said undermines free information exchange.

If you have children you will go insane allowing this to irritate you. When they ask you why the sky is blue, do you throw an encyclopedia at them?
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    FYI you should search before starting a new thread.

By posting without searching one creates an impression of a user that expects everyone else to do his/her bidding.

Especially on a topic that has been covered so extensively.

This is also a request frequently of the admins on this board as well as.

from the "forum use guidelines"

"Before you post a question, please do a search to see if it's been answered before. We are a very active bunch and the odds are high that the question has been asked and answered before."

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=64440

In online forum etiquette this behavior comes across as either ignorant or rude.

If you did search, you can assist us in helping you by telling us what you found, why it didn't help and what further you require in your quest.

"Search better" might be vaild advice here.
    I think that's enough bashing. Guys, just because someone asks a FAQ doesn't give you carte blanche to attack. If you don't want to help, don't.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836