Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by slffl
    Well coverage hasn't been an issue for me on Sprint. And if it was there's still the $5 unlimited roaming option and a phone that supports analog.
    Does that option only include analog roaming supported in tri-mode phones??

I thought it was roaming on Verizon's network for dual-band phones such as the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Does that option only include analog roaming supported in tri-mode phones??

I thought it was roaming on Verizon's network for dual-band phones such as the 650.
    Called Sprint to verify...they have contracts with a bunch of providers (He didn't specifically name other carriers, but I'm going to assume Verizon & Cingular are both on there, prolly with T-Mobile).

So...for 650s, you can roam on Verizon's network for $5/mo. If you (or somebody else) has a tri-mode phone, you use that same $5/mo option to roam on an analog network.
    Sprint is cheaper and updates their hardware/software faster. Cingular users are still sitting on the same update that shipped with the phone unless they are willing to risk hacking it and not get a replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by helgo
    Hi,

I am looking to get a Treo 650. It doesn't matter to me to much which provider I go with, Cingular, Sprint, or Verizon. I am currently using t-Mobile but I am fine with moving to another company. The most important things for me in the company are as follows:

1) Email and web surfing on the phone.
    2) Connect to my powerbook via bluetooth to get on the internet
    3) Price....

So I would probably want an unlimited data plan that I could use both with the phone and though the phone on my laptop, the cheeper the plan the better as well as the faster the plan the better...

So what do you think? I live in the Boston area so coverage is pretty good regardless of the company.

Thanks!

I went with Cingular for two reasons: 1) faster data rates, 2) ability to use my phone in Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by ibeplato
    I went with Cingular for two reasons: 1) faster data rates, 2) ability to use my phone in Europe.
    Yea...it's not that much faster, but you certainly are paying more per kb/s than I'm paying. And you can't use EDGE in other countries, can you?? Haven't heard to much about EDGE over seas.

Using your phone in Europe is definitely a good reason for going with Cingular, though. Wouldn't T-Mobile's prices actually be better for overseas rates?
    EDGE doesn't work overseas AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $but$ $I$ $used$ $GPRS$ $in$ $London$, $Oslo$, $Copenhagen$, $Caan$, $and$ $Monaco$ $without$ $any$ $problems$.

T-Mobile doesn't have a high-speed data service in the U.S., so it wasn't an option for me.

You are right about the cost though, I'm paying $49.99 a month for unlimited data service on Cingular.
    Well it depends whether price or speed is more important to you and whether or not you intend to travel,especially overseas with the phone ? All three of these things were important to me when making my decision and left me with two choices,stay with T-Mobile or go to Cingular.In the end I remained with T-Mobile,to get a similar voice plan with Cingular would have cost me much more than what I pay now and the data also would have cost me more.I have also in recent years typically paid for phone rather than mess with my contract to get significant carrier subsidies and alter what is a very good deal as compared to pricing today thanks to the length of time I've been a customer with T-Mobile and its predecessors.

I have been satisfied with the speed of their data services ,its a heck of a lot better than the old speeds of connecting years ago,and I've used my Treo to get on the internet with my laptop via Bluetooth DUN.And I've just come back from a few overseas trips and had no problems using the voice and data services abroad (although I do occasionally choose to use another SIM depending on the rates for voice and or data )

...just my two cents of course...
    Last edited by narbeauchamp; 07/13/2005 at 03:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by narbeauchamp
    In the end I remained with T-Mobile,to get a similar voice plan with Cingular would have cost me much more than what I pay now and the data also would have cost me more.
    Just outta curiousity...how much is T-Mobile's data? I hear everybody's data prices, EXCEPT for theirs.

I have been satisfied with the speed of their data services ,its a heck of a lot better than the old speeds of connecting years ago,and I've used my Treo to get on the internet with my laptop via Bluetooth DUN.
    If you're going to use Bluetooth DUN with a laptop. I'd recommend using Firefox and get used to using tabs. In case you, or somebody else doesn't know how to use tabs, here's a good example of how you keep your data connection ALWAYS running: put all bookmarks in a single folder and right-click to OPEN ALL IN NEW TABS. Once the first page is done and you start to read it, the other 15 or 20 pages are downloading while you read. If there are any links you'd like to click on your first page (say, news.google.com, for example)...you just click on a link while holding CTRL. That way it opens THOSE pages up in background tabs. You close the tab you were just in (news.goo..) and you go to the next page, and so on, and so forth. It's almost as quick as broadband for me since the pages are downloading in the background as I read ones that have already completed. SUPER SLICK!!

And I've just come back from a few overseas trips and had no problems using the voice and data services abroad (although I do occasionally choose to use another SIM depending on the rates for voice and or data)
    Also outta curiousity, what are T-Mobile's rates overseas?? I'm assuming they're different for each country.

-Peace out!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123