Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48
  1. #21  
    I was with AT & T for 7 years with a Nokia, PERFECT and EXCELLENT.

    In Feb, Cingular made me switch to use the Treo 650.

    3 "refurbished" phones later and still issues, RIDICULOUS AND WEAK !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Customer service is almost non-existent from both Cingular and Palm both. They keep on "blaming" each other.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by on1sony
    Where are you getting your facts from... I have unlimited Internet/Text messaging for $24.99 monthly.......
    I'm calling your bluff!!
  3. #23  
    thank you, grandlsm and everyone for ur replies. i got a Treo 650 from Cingular from Buy.com. first time i had a PDA. I got the 650 more for the Palm OS and PDA qualities than for the phone.
  4. #24  
    Unlimited data is $15 on Sprint, $40 Cingular, $45 Verizon.

    Verizon has better coverage and the fastest network, but you pay. I use a lot of minutes. My plan with Sprint "Fair and Flexible" and a State Employee 12% discount runs $70/month. The equivalent from Verizon was going to be around $125.

    I went with Sprint. Verizon's better coverage rarely shows up as an issue. In my experience, you have to be way, way off in the boonies. Fact is, I had an overnight in a backwater area of SC in the middle of nowhere and was still able to get network and DUN to my laptop.

    I don't question others customer service issues but in my case I had a problem with my 650 and the local Sprint store replaced it on the spot. Hard to complain about that.

    If someone else was paying for it I'd probably choose Verizon but they're not. Sprint does the job just about as good for a lot less.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDee
    Unlimited data is $15 on Sprint, $40 Cingular, $45 Verizon.
    SPRINT! SPRINT! SPRINT!

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDee
    Verizon has better coverage and the fastest network, but you pay. I use a lot of minutes. My plan with Sprint "Fair and Flexible" and a State Employee 12% discount runs $70/month. The equivalent from Verizon was going to be around $125.
    Sprint has a ton of discounts: for students, realtors, car companies, virtually everything. $50 a month virtually gives you a free 650, software, and accessories with a little chunk of change to spare at the end of a 2 year contract.

    I'm still clueless as to how Consumer Reports ranks Verizon with fewer dropped calls than Sprint. My experience has proven otherwise. Sprint's AT LEAST as good as Verizon, if not BETTER.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDee
    I went with Sprint. Verizon's better coverage rarely shows up as an issue. In my experience, you have to be way, way off in the boonies. Fact is, I had an overnight in a backwater area of SC in the middle of nowhere and was still able to get network and DUN to my laptop.
    EXACTLY...Sprint's coverage is hardly ever an issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDee
    I don't question others customer service issues but in my case I had a problem with my 650 and the local Sprint store replaced it on the spot. Hard to complain about that.
    They're better than they used to be for sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDee
    If someone else was paying for it I'd probably choose Verizon but they're not. Sprint does the job just about as good for a lot less.
    Even if someone else was paying for it, and planning on going with Verizon...I'd show 'em the cost difference and request some payment in return (not necessarily money) for saving them more than a grand on service costs. But that's just me.
  6. mobidutch's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    For what you need it for, Sprint would be your best option IMO. Your needs seem to be data and you figured in price so I would say $15 dollars a month would be right up your alley. I myself have Sprint. Some of the others seem have a faster network (EDGE), but Sprint will be coming out with EVDO which has been reported to be faster. So with that being said I would go with Sprint for the sheer cost of it.
    Totally off topic......but I love that Avatar!! Makes me rub my eyes....

    To stay on topic... I have used both Sprint and Verizon, and overall Verizon seems to have better coverage. But I have also been many places where Sprint signal beat Verizon. As far Customer service, I found both Sprint and Verizon reps to be very polite, can't complain about either. All in all I think Sprint is a little less "bossy", meaning that Verizon tends to be a little inflexible sometimes by the grace of their superior network. And they are also noriously slow with latest phone releases. But despite all that, I went back to Verizon after a stint with Sprint.
  7. #27  
    I just went through the selection process this week. I have been an Alltel customer for 12 years and use ~2800 minutes a month talk time. Coverage area is my #1 concern as my phone is used for my business and I am in a support situation where I have to be reachable 24/7. Alltel's service has always been great but they are REALLY expensive, they just got into data service (and aren't doing a good job of it), plus coverage at and near my home has been getting worse because of degrading phone quality. I have looked at other carriers in the past and was never swayed from Alltel because of the coverage I've had (I've literally NEVER not been able to get a signal and that includes LOTS of travel including into very remote areas). Now I've decided that data service is a big consideration as well (I support large high usage websites and a Treo allows me to log directly into the servers to do work on the road).

    I narrowed my search down to Sprint or Verizon this week with Verizon looking like it had better coverage albeit at a higher price (especially for the data service). Sprint showed me to be ~1-2 miles out of their service area at my house (I use my cell phone as my home phone as well). I roam A LOT so no roaming service was mandatory. Sprint covered up to half of the plan minutes on roaming which would have worked. That also meant I wouldn't have data service at home but I have bluetooth/wifi at the house so I could work around that. I got a phone from Sprint to test the coverage to make sure it would be ok. I live 12 miles outside of a good sized city (nothing but farm fields for that 12 miles). Coverage in the city was great. In the last 8 miles to my house on the road the Sprint phone dropped calls 3 times. At my house the phone dropped down to analog roaming. Since the Treo doesn't even have analog that was going to be a BIG problem! I returned the sprint phone and went over to Verizon. Coverage in the same area with Verizon is excellent - no dropped calls, no weak signals, and I have digital service (as well as data) at home. The Verizon sales guy worked to get me as many discounts as possible - because I have State Farm insurance I got an 11% discount on my monthly rates. In the end on Sprint I would have been at $135 a month for 2 phones, data service, and insurance on the Treo (plus taxes, etc) - that was for 2500 minutes a month (I use 1300 daytime minutes so the 800 minute plan wouldn't work). Verizon for 1500 minutes, data services, and insurance on the Treo with the SF discount is $142.50. For a 2500 minute plan through Verizon it would have been $187. If I were on a single line (no second phone) it would have been even closer with Verizon's shared voice/data plans (just released - and this isn't available for multi-line accounts yet). In the end you really need to look at your usage taking into acount your traveling and compare their service areas, costs for the plan you'd need, etc. Then use the 14 day period to test out their service (I used a new line and didn't switch my phone # over until I was sure it would work) and if it doesn't meet your expectations return it. In the end I'm saving $100 a month over the Alltel plan I had and I had no data service on the Alltel plan. We've come a long way from the $700-$800 a month cell phone bills I used to get (12 years ago) - and I'm not using any fewer minutes.
    Last edited by MiRexer; 07/15/2005 at 12:55 AM.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by MiRexer
    I got a phone from Sprint to test the coverage to make sure it would be ok. I live 12 miles outside of a good sized city (nothing but farm fields for that 12 miles). Coverage in the city was great. In the last 8 miles to my house on the road the Spring phone dropped calls 3 times. At my house the phone dropped down to analog roaming. Since the Treo doesn't even have analog that was going to be a BIG problem! I returned the spring phone and went over to Verizon.
    Just outta curiousity, what phone did you use to test out on Sprint? I notice it wasn't the 650, as you said it only got analog reception. Reception depends a lot on the phone's internal radio. Had you tested the 650...you prolly coulda gotten digital signal...thereby savin' a little money, getting more minutes, and a second line.

    Also, you said Verizon helped you out with the SF discount, but Sprint has a SF discount as well, in case you didn't know...or maybe you made a typo.

    Quote Originally Posted by MiRexer
    Then use the 14 day period to test out their service (I used a new line and didn't switch my phone # over until I was sure it would work) and if it doesn't meet your expectations return it.
    I can't believe people don't actually use that TRIAL period. Most just take it and then complain that they can't get service at their house a couple months after the trial period is over. I don't understand how people can sign something without reading it...tisk tisk.
  9. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #29  
    If you do any international travel then Cingular (get the phone unlocked though). If not then do you wander into remote areas? If so then Verizon as Sprint's "off highway" coverage stinks. If you stay in cities then Sprint.
  10. #30  
    The trial phone was a Samsung A650. I got the same model phone from Verizon and it's on digital service at the house with Verizon. Sprint didn't mention the SF discount so I wasn't aware of that. Sprint did say that I was 1-2 miles outside of their network so there was a good chance I'd be roaming. For the last 12 miles out to my house I had no more than 1 bar of signal with Sprint. Verizon I have a full signal the whole way. I did get a 2nd line BTW - the comparison of prices there was for the same service on both Sprint & Verizon except for the different in minutes.
  11. mobidutch's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by MiRexer
    ...because I have State Farm insurance I got an 11% discount on my monthly rates....
    Huh? That sounds interesting...what is the link between State Farm Insurance and getting discounts?
  12. #32  
    No clue. I just know the sales guy asked who I work for (own my own business - didn't help) and then he asked who my insurance was through. He took a copy of my proof of insurance as proof and wala - 11% lower monthly bill. I would guess they have that arrangement for more than just SF.
  13. mobidutch's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    #33  
    Hmmm...worth a try...thanks for bringing it up!
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobidutch
    Huh? That sounds interesting...what is the link between State Farm Insurance and getting discounts?
    That's just the way business works....State Farm, Coldwell Banker, and I believe Ford all have CONTRACTS with Sprint.....those businesses either provide Sprint with money or a bulk of customers and Sprint repays those customers with discounts. Students also get discounts because they're "the way of the future", "the way of the future", "the way of the future", "the way of the future" (sorry, i just saw Aviation last night).
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by MiRexer
    The trial phone was a Samsung A650. I got the same model phone from Verizon and it's on digital service at the house with Verizon. Sprint didn't mention the SF discount so I wasn't aware of that. Sprint did say that I was 1-2 miles outside of their network so there was a good chance I'd be roaming. For the last 12 miles out to my house I had no more than 1 bar of signal with Sprint. Verizon I have a full signal the whole way. I did get a 2nd line BTW - the comparison of prices there was for the same service on both Sprint & Verizon except for the different in minutes.
    That's interesting. But you still should have tried it out with the phone you're planning on using, not a trial phone.

    As for the Sprint low service thing...I remember you mentioned the $5 option for roaming on up to half of your minutes (that roaming is on Verizon's network, ya know...the one where you get full signal). I think that would have solved your low signal quality at home, and when you'd be in the city....all Sprint.

    Dude...sprint is cheap. I'd suggest you try the 650 with Sprint and the roaming option if you could...save more money, get more minutes, and get the extra phone line (make somebody pay for that one...hehe). That is if you still haven't been officially tied down yet.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by MiRexer
    No clue. I just know the sales guy asked who I work for (own my own business - didn't help) and then he asked who my insurance was through. He took a copy of my proof of insurance as proof and wala - 11% lower monthly bill. I would guess they have that arrangement for more than just SF.
    Wait a second....you only have SF Insurance?? You're not a SF Agent/Owner/Employee or whatever??

    I've never heard about people getting discounts only for paying for their insurance though.
  17. #37  
    Well coverage hasn't been an issue for me on Sprint. And if it was there's still the $5 unlimited roaming option and a phone that supports analog.
  18. #38  
    Yep, just have SF insurance. That's what he asked for - he asked for my proof of insurance and went and made a copy of it and bingo I got the 11% discount. I was pleasantly surprised. I told my parents about it and they checked on it but they already had a GM discount so it wouldn't have made a difference for them. I did get the roaming option on sprint and none of the data phones support analog (I needed a palm or Windows OS) and I didn't want to carry two phones. As it is I'm saving $100 a month over what I was paying at Alltel and I have a great signal with no worries. Talked with my brother yesterday and found out he has Sprint and a number of places where the family members travel (west & northwest lower Michigan) to he can't get a signal and others in the family do with their Verizon phones. My research told me that Verizon would have better coverage in some areas (Sprint in some as well but it looked like it was more often in favor of Verizon). The 3 dropped calls on the drive home were worriesome as well since we drive that at least twice a day. The Samsung phone was going to be my wifes so regardless whether I'd have a good link with my Treo or not she wouldn't have with the Samsung. Both phones are working great with Verizon even in our basement and I don't mind paying the little extra for better coverage.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by MiRexer
    Talked with my brother yesterday and found out he has Sprint and a number of places where the family members travel (west & northwest lower Michigan) to he can't get a signal and others in the family do with their Verizon phones. My research told me that Verizon would have better coverage in some areas (Sprint in some as well but it looked like it was more often in favor of Verizon).
    If you check out the service area maps there's no doubt Verizon does the midwest and southwest better than anyone. I live on the east coast which every major carrier pretty much covers like a blanket. With their much lower cost Sprint was the way to go.

    It pays to research based on specific requirements plus things don't stay the same. Sprint is my 3rd carrier (which includes Verizon), but I have no complaints about any of them. It's just that at this particular time Sprint has the best package for what I need. Based on demographics I'd venture they're probably the preferred option for most people, but there are many exceptions.

    My assistant at work has one of those $39.95 plans that everyone seems to offer. His is with Verizon. He was livid today because his usage spiked last month and he got smacked with a $135 phone bill. I heard all about it...a lot. With Sprint's "Fair and Flexible" plan this situation can't happen. As far as I know, none of the other carriers have anything like it.
  20. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #40  
    Decide what you want. If coverage really is a problem, then your decision is made. If you are looking for price with reasonably good service and Internet access then Verizon Wireless will probably not be the cheapest.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions