Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

I'm trying to get a definitive answer as to whether or not MP3's can be used as ringtones on the Treo 650 WITHOUT having to install any additional 3rd party software.

If the answer is 'no', then that's cool just as long as I know it's definately 'no' and can stop assing about trying to make it work!

If the answer is 'yes', please, someone, tell me how to make this work!!

Thanks muchly!
    NO, the treo650 CANNOT have mp3s as ringtones WITHOUT having to install any additional 3rd party software, period
    No..you currently need a 3rd party app.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz8
    Hi folks,

I'm trying to get a definitive answer as to whether or not MP3's can be used as ringtones on the Treo 650 WITHOUT having to install any additional 3rd party software.

If the answer is 'no', then that's cool just as long as I know it's definately 'no' and can stop assing about trying to make it work!

If the answer is 'yes', please, someone, tell me how to make this work!!

Thanks muchly!
    Sorry but no. This is not possible 'out of the box'. You can install a ringtone manager of which there are several, or you can convert pretty much any sound file to the AMR format which the treo can handle natively, or use any MIDI file which the treo can handle natively. I use both. I have several AMR and several MIDI ringtones that I change between on a whim.

-Shawn
  5.    #5  
    Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Thanks to all those folks who finally put this to bed for me!!

Shawn - how would I go about changing my MP3 file to something the Treo can use natively, please?
    Slightly off topic - Phone Technician has recently been updated so that it doesn't need an additional mp3 player to play ringtones on the t650. But it is an additional app and it does cost $9.95
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    I remember reading in another thread that the 650 CAN play wav files....there were some people who said it could work, others who said it wouldn't...haven't tried it myself, but if it does play wav files, that's virtually the same thing as mp3s (just takes up a lil' more space)
    Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Thanks to all those folks who finally put this to bed for me!!

Shawn - how would I go about changing my MP3 file to something the Treo can use natively, please?
    Just as the previous post states....convert the MP3 to a WAV file and then email it to yourself and save it to the phone. The phone will automatically convert it to a usable format where you can assign it accordingly.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    Yes it can play waves I do this myself. Anyone who says it can't isn't doing it right. Send a wave file via bluetooth and it will be added to the ringtones database no problem. Same for AMR files and for MIDI ringtones.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by elder_shawn
    Just as the previous post states....convert the MP3 to a WAV file and then email it to yourself and save it to the phone. The phone will automatically convert it to a usable format where you can assign it accordingly.
    ok, i sent myself a wav, got it in versamail, and can play it there. but i only see an option to save to the card. how do i get it into the ringtones list?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    There's a free Nokia Ringtone program "Nokia Multimedia Converter" that can do it for you. When I did it a few months ago, I had to sign up as a "developer" (which was free) and then was given access to download the file.

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(19349)

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=65572

http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,034-63,00.html

I understand QuickTime Pro is supposed to be able to do it too, but it didn't work for me in my limited testing so I just went with the Nokia tool.

That said, the resulting AMR is much lower quality (and quieter) than the original MP3... but it does "work."
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Nice pic elder shawn..... Im a huge utah fan. The Fiesta bowl was awesome if your a Utah fan. I wish we had played USC that would have been a game... better than Both blowouts that Uof U and USC had
    Quote Originally Posted by collin
    ok, i sent myself a wav, got it in versamail, and can play it there. but i only see an option to save to the card. how do i get it into the ringtones list?
    anybody got a bit of help on this?

thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by collin

In versamail tap on the icon, not the name of the wav file. That should give you an "Open with.." menu (not sure of the exact wording). Choose to open it with the Sounds application and it will be added to your possible ringtones.
    ConfusedVorlon... You say in your post that PT doesn't need a separate MP3 player to work on the Treo650. I can't get 1.93 to work without a separate player. Does the trial version work w/ MP3s?
    My Sprint Treo 650 will use QCP files without problem. This is the format most of the non palm sprint phones (at least the older ones). I'm not sure how the quality of QCP compares to AMR though.
    You can't use mp3's out the box, but you can use wav's with the sound overlay files post latest firmware updates!!
    Last edited by Gaurav; 07/11/2005 at 10:52 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    You can use mp3's out the box, but you can use wav's with the sound overlay files post latest firmware updates!!
    I think he means "can't use mp3's out the box".

Also, what the heck is a "sound overlay file"??
    Yea.....What is a sound overlay?

Ringo works great!!!

Sweet Chi-Town Music!

300 > 600 > 650

CURRENT EQUIPMENT

TREO 650

Alternate Phone- Motorola Razr V3 (silver)
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I think he means "can't use mp3's out the box".

Also, what the heck is a "sound overlay file"??

Right, misspelled...(again? )

Read this thread for more info....

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...record+overlay

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast