Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    People have no problem hearing me. Hearing them, on the other hand, is a total challenge on the 650, even more than it was on the 600. Then try to listen to another person in big city traffic... will never happen. Very frustrating. Palm should get rid of that stupid "fancy" earpiece design and make something more acoustically sound and also allow us to boost the volume. I don't supposed the voice app above does anything for raising the sound quality or levels to your ear, does it?
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    It absolutely raises the volume, but it does nothing to the sound quality.

The sound quality issues for the GSM-model (unlocked) are addressed in teh fw update patch which is available at palmOne support pages. Quality is still not good even after the update, but is't remarkably better, and the echoing issue is solved on my phone
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Great job Jeff! I installed 2.21 on my unlocked 650 running on Cingular. My Treo is finally usable as a phone, instead of a paperweight. Palm should hire you as their cheif software engineer, as it would seem that their current CSE does not have a clue. One question though, in a very noisy enviornment, with the volume at full tilt, is it really possible to blow the 650's earpiece speaker?
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Thanks jorang. I downloaded the demo. While there is an audible hissing with volume raised it is noticeably louder than max volume and it is possible to hear. This is a necessary addition to the 650 (I can barely hear at top volume) and great work to the developer here. What would be a great addition would be an EQ of sorts to maximize the voice area of the sound spectrum and lessen the high and low end distortion.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I purchased VolumeCare on July 1, v.2.18 I have an unlocked GSM 650. Initially, it seemed to improve the loudness of the caller, now it's somewhat inconsistent, today, I could barely hear my caller. I tried your website, seems like it's been down all morning?
    Last edited by jekswang; 07/08/2005 at 05:31 PM. Reason: correction
    Treo 650 & T-Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeman
    Great job Jeff! I installed 2.21 on my unlocked 650 running on Cingular. My Treo is finally usable as a phone, instead of a paperweight. Palm should hire you as their cheif software engineer, as it would seem that their current CSE does not have a clue. One question though, in a very noisy enviornment, with the volume at full tilt, is it really possible to blow the 650's earpiece speaker?
    Thanks for the compliment! As for the speaker "strength" I don't know the answer. But what I can tell you is that *any* speaker can be damaged if it is driven too hard for too long. Use your best judgement now that I have lifted the restriction.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Thanks jorang. I downloaded the demo. While there is an audible hissing with volume raised it is noticeably louder than max volume and it is possible to hear. This is a necessary addition to the 650 (I can barely hear at top volume) and great work to the developer here. What would be a great addition would be an EQ of sorts to maximize the voice area of the sound spectrum and lessen the high and low end distortion.
    Glad you are finding value. The hissing seems to be localized to just some phones. My CDMA and unlocked GSM do not suffer from this hissing but others like yourself are getting it at the upper volume ranges. Perhaps a difference in the models? I am working on some alternatives but don't know yet if I can do anything about the hissing.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jekswang
    I purchased VolumeCare on July 1, v.2.18 I have an unlocked GSM 650. Initially, it seemed to improve the loudness of the caller, now it's somewhat inconsistent, today, I could barely hear my caller. I tried your website, seems like it's been down all morning?
    This is interesting information. Those times when it was difficult to hear, did you try to toggle speaker modes to restore the volume?

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by deanfx
    2.21 is great Jeff, I like the fact also that you changed the registration format from alpha to numeric only

I am currently using 2.21, but I don't think it made my gsm phone *As loud as 2.18 did. However it is still plenty loud enough. Handset speaking.
    Interesting. There is no difference in those 2 releases for the handset code. I only changed the speaker phone code.

Jeff
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12