1.    #1  
    Hi, I've been lurking for a bit, and did some searching this evening, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question. My problem is that I am upgrading from an M515 to a Treo 650, and I'm not sure how to safely proceed. My sysadmin said he had heard that I should fully un-install all of the Hot Sync software from the 515 (running v4.1) that's left over on the computer before installing the Treo software in order to avoid lock ups. The manual says that its OK to upgrade without un-installing the old software, but I've learned to take mfg's advice with a grain of salt.

I don't really want to use the 515 on this computer anymore, as I'll be installing it on my wife's computer, so she can use the 515.

I'm curious if anyone here has encountered a similar situation. I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to the right thread, or offer me some real-world advice. Thanks.
  2. sj3
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I upgraded sucessfully from a Kyocera 7135 Palm phone and did not uninstall the desktop app before installing the one that came with my 650. There is an article on PalmOne's web site about how to upgrade from previous palm devices and I did find a few threads here, mostly by searching for 7135. The basic technique is to rename the backup directory on your pc (...\palm\<username>\backup). Then go ahead and sync. All your contacts, notes, and calendar entries will come down but your 3rd-party software won't. You need and want to do those one-by-one to ensure everything's working.

hth,

sj
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the tip on re-naming the backup directory. It makes sense to load the 3rd party stuff one at a time. I'll check out the palmOne site as you said. Thanks.