1.    #1  
    im now using Chatter with fastmail with Gmail.

and i would think with it connected all the time its gotta drain the battery? am i wrong. and are there any tips on settings to change?
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    I can't really offer any battery saving tips but can confirm It certainly drains the battery faster.

I just started using it today. My battery normally doesn't fall below 80% after a full day of use. I installed Chatter sometime this morning and my battery is down to 60% right now.

That being said I still love the app and don't think it would be as useful if it wasn't connected all the time. To me that's the beauty of the app. It's worth the loss in battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    I can't really offer any battery saving tips but can confirm It certainly drains the battery faster.

I just started using it today. My battery normally doesn't fall below 80% after a full day of use. I installed Chatter sometime this morning and my battery is down to 60% right now.

That being said I still love the app and don't think it would be as useful if it wasn't connected all the time. To me that's the beauty of the app. It's worth the loss in battery.
    I agree. One way I can save battery life is to shut it down when I am right in front of my work PC (since its imap, I see the exact same mail) and then turn it back on when I leave the office.

If it really starts to affect you, I think you can use the quicksync function to have it get new mail at set intervals (but then you might as well go back to pop mail IMHO).

Overall though, for what it does and how quick it is...the battery use is worth it.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    im now using Chatter with fastmail with Gmail.

and i would think with it connected all the time its gotta drain the battery? am i wrong. and are there any tips on settings to change?
    Any app you run is going to drain your battery more then if you didn't run anything... The nature of all email clients is that they connect alot, so your battery usage is going to go down - period. That being said GMail isn't going to kill you, because Chatter won't stay connected all the time. GMail only supports POP so Chatter, Snappermail, Versamail, etc. will only connect / poll on the schedule you specify. If your battery life is suffering increase the time between connections.

Dunc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    Any app you run is going to drain your battery more then if you didn't run anything... The nature of all email clients is that they connect alot, so your battery usage is going to go down - period. That being said GMail isn't going to kill you, because Chatter won't stay connected all the time. GMail only supports POP so Chatter, Snappermail, Versamail, etc. will only connect / poll on the schedule you specify. If your battery life is suffering increase the time between connections.

Dunc
    He's forwarding gmail to fastmail, and having it pushed.

I haven't noticed too bad a hit on my battery using his same setup...nothing to make me give up on it, that's for sure.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc

Dunc
    im doing this due to the terrible experience i was having with Gmail POP and versamail. i think i can deal with the batt drain. im gonna test this out for the free 30 days of Chatter, if tis not bad im paying and keeping this setup
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Using Chatter with 3 active email addresses.
    I tend to lose on average, 3-4% an hour throughout the course of a day.

Definitely not enough to ever make me uninstall Chatter.
    One of the nice things about Chatter is that it offers the MOST options for retrieving mail:

1) True push
    2) SMS-triggered pseudo-push
    3) Timed sync
    4) Manual sync

So depending on the carrier (Sprint/VZW use far more battery and data time than the GSM carriers), number of Mailboxes, amount of mail, need to get voice calls, etc., you can always find a method that works for you. Not only that, but these options are available on a per-Mailbox basis.

Marc
    I have noticed significant drainage - an additional 30 to 50% per day. I'm still working on all the settings so hopefully I'll have it figured out soon - I simply don't want Chatter to do anything unless I want to manually connect.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    mediasi - Then check "Offline" in the "Deliver" page of "Edit Mailbox". All connections would be done via "QuickSync".

Marc
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    mediasi - Then check "Offline" in the "Deliver" page of "Edit Mailbox". All connections would be done via "QuickSync".

Marc
    Does this work with the latest beta also? I see a option beside the Offline box that asks for a time?
    I have Offline (checkbox) QSynch every xx minutes - all on one line, just one checkbox.
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    I guess I was under the impression you could just do a quicksync without the time limit.
    You can QuickSync any offline Mailbox with the "QuickSync" menu command.

Marc
    Yeah, the most difficult thing to figure out is that you have to have every mailbox "offline" checked, then maybe also check off the "Disconnect if all mailboxes offline" under Connections. After that, Chatter behaves and doesn't hijack your radio.

What I do is have everything offline as default. When I'm ready to check my email, I bring everything Online using Menu command. Depending on what I'm doing, I'll then leave everything online if I want instant email, or bring everything back offline as soon as I'm done being obsessive about my email for the day. ;P

Overall, the battery loss isn't bad. It's definitely more, but I still have plenty of juice to last me through the day with plenty to spare.
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    Thanks aristarchus, that is what I was trying to figure out.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    I use SMS-triggered pseudo-push, and tell chatter to drop the data connection when not in use. When the SMS trigger is received, chatter fires up the data connection and then syncs my email.

This seems to improve batt life, and has helped reduce the number of calls that end up in voicemail.
    Problem with the SMS message is if you do not have that many on your plan. I think I have 100 and get that many emails a day.