1.    #1  
    hello all...just bought the 650 for my t-mobile card. i'd like to buy an upgraded memory card. heard about sd, expansion memory, ultra II...what has the group found was the best? i was going to get either the 512 or the 1 gb. i've searched through the posts and i'm not sure if a memory expansion and memory card are really the same thing. prices vary so greatly from online shop to online shop.

i've been using a 128 scan disk card in my 600, but want to get as much out of my new 650 as possible.

thanks

alan
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/se...archid=1876765

I have the 2gb ultra II, for only $175 it's worth it as I can fit all my apps, roms, audio files and 1-2 full length movies.
    Ditto

(I prefer the SanDisk brand and I have a SanDisk 8n1 reader. No one can argue compatability with me then.)
    I would stay away from SanDisk. I have had 2 of their SD cards go bad, and 1 CF card go bad.
    Lexar cards are faster (according to VFSMark testing that I have done). My regular Lexar card is faster than the SanDisk UltraII that I used for a while (according to VFSMark). I have a 1GB Lexar in my Treo right now!
    Get the biggest card you can afford. You can take more pictures/video. You can store more programs, ebooks, mp3s, etc, etc, etc.
    There you have it! We are unanimous in our selection of different brands!
    Quote Originally Posted by jskier
    I would stay away from SanDisk. I have had 2 of their SD cards go
    bad, and 1 CF card go bad.
    How exactly does a memory card go bad??

Lexar cards are faster (according to VFSMark testing that I have done). My regular Lexar card is faster than the SanDisk UltraII that I used for a while (according to VFSMark). I have a 1GB Lexar in my Treo right now!
    When you're racing a Honda Civic and a Nissan Sentra at a race track, does that extra 0.14 seconds REALLY matter in real life??

Get the biggest card you can afford. You can take more pictures/video. You can store more programs, ebooks, mp3s, etc, etc, etc.
    Now THAT I will agree with...get the biggest one you can afford!! Unless of course you can't afford it, then get the one that you can.
    You might also consider the Sandisk Ultra-II 1GB SD Plus USB card... it has the advantage of letting you read/write the card in your USB equipped computer w/o a card reader (a small advantage, but one less thing to carry with a laptop!), plus it has the virtue of fitting in the 650 SD slot a bit more snugly than a regular SD card (and thus being less prone to popping out). I guess you could confer this latter "advantage" on a regular SD card with a bit of tape... I just wish there was a 2GB version... no doubt there will be soon enough!
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    My local CompUSA had a one hour sale a month or so ago and they had the Lexar 1Gb SB cards for $49, so I said "sold". When I fill this one up I will worry about what is next.
    Quote Originally Posted by calvin767
    My local CompUSA had a one hour sale a month or so ago and they had the Lexar 1Gb SB cards for $49, so I said "sold". When I fill this one up I will worry about what is next.
    That is the regular price for that item at our local Sam's club
  10. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    How exactly does a memory card go bad??
    I had a Sandisk SD card go bad. Not sure about the how. Could be a manufacturing defect I suppose. The bad card wasn't treated any differently than my other cards.

As for the symptons: the card appeared to work fine for several months then I got a memory error when trying to access the card on my PPC. I could not access the data on the card using my PC either. Fearing it was just a glitch I reformatted the card in my PC and tried it in my digital camera. After 30 or so pictures I started getting memory errors again. Being a glutton for punishment I tried a third time - this time formating the card in my PPC. Well guess what a couple weeks and the card started acting up again. This time I formatted the card by twisting it between my thumb and fingers. Boy, they break easily.
    hate to bring this up, but sandisk ultra II all use MLC flash. Even with wear leveling, which pretty much all flash card controllers have these days, MLC flash is rated for a lifetime 10X shorter than with SLC flash. MLC flash components are much cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

-Jeff
    www.atpinc.com
    jwh@us.atpinc.com
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhsieh
    hate to bring this up, but sandisk ultra II all use MLC flash. Even with wear leveling, which pretty much all flash card controllers have these days, MLC flash is rated for a lifetime 10X shorter than with SLC flash. MLC flash components are much cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

-Jeff
    So, what brands use SLC flash?
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    ATP does.
    I use a SanDisk 1 Gb card and love it never had a problem. I think it may be purely a preference thing. If the card is not a dud and its not a slug than shopping around for the best price is a worthwhile endeavor!

We all need a little dirt (life's events) to grow!