Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    So I finally set up an IMAP account and bought Chatter. After only using it for a few hours I'm already thinking, "why'd I wait so long." It's awesome!

    One problem though I seem to be having is with Butler. When I miss a call Butler turns my led solid red, beeps, vibrates and displays the missed call screen (this is how I have it set.) But after a second or two the solid red led goes away as well as the alert screen and sound/vibrate. I have Chatter's alerts set so the led just blinks rapidly. Nothing else.

    It seems if I don't hear the initial alert I don't hear anything. I do notice that the little alert icon becomes present in the upper left corner of the screen.

    How do I get Butler and Chatter to play nicely together? I really nice to be able to easilly see if I've missed a call. The ability to have to led go solid and continuosly alert me is vital.

    I have the option for "alert killer" checked. If I uncheck this will Butler work? In reading the manual it seems if I do uncheck it Chatter then won't push my mail properly and that's no good either.

    TIA.
  2. #2  
    I have to do some work to make them play nicely. Let me look back and see what's involved.

    Marc
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the response Marc.

    I've been playing with various configurations for the past hour or so and can't seem to get them to work properly. Butler will only play one initial alert and then it disapears.

    The only workable solution I can come up with right now is to disable all Chatters alerts and uncheck the "alert killer" option. Then Butler does work to keep alerting when calls are missed or voicemails are waiting. Of course this forces me to have to open up Chatter to see if any new mail has arrived (which sort of defeats the purpose of push.)

    I appreciate your work on this. For me it's vital to have some sort of notification for missed calls & voice mail.
  4. #4  
    Ditto that. I've never gotten the LED features of Butler and Chatter to work nicely together... though I have found that you can set up the vibrate functions in Chatter to work in the background and that doesn't seem to affect the Butler config. Any pointers on getting the LED working would be greatly appreciated!
  5. JayL's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    #5  
    I've never gotten Butlers led to work for any amount of time, with or without chatter...I stick with ledoff for free
    Sprint 700p
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    I've never gotten Butlers led to work for any amount of time, with or without chatter...I stick with ledoff for free
    Does "LED Off" provide repeating alerts?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    I've never gotten Butlers led to work for any amount of time, with or without chatter...I stick with ledoff for free
    While I have found that both "butler" and "ledoff" work quite well for me (sprint cdma treo650), they do not necessarily share the same feature set. In other words, there are many things that "butler" does that "ledoff" cannot. For instance, "butler" can enable your led to flash whenever you receive a voice message (or text msg etc), this is not a feature that "ledoff" currently has.

    To specifically answer lgreenberg's above post, no "ledoff" does not provide repeating alerts.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    While I have found that both "butler" and "ledoff" work quite well for me (sprint cdma treo650), they do not necessarily share the same feature set. In other words, there are many things that "butler" does that "ledoff" cannot. For instance, "butler" can enable your led to flash whenever you receive a voice message (or text msg etc), this is not a feature that "ledoff" currently has.
    That's what I was getting at. They aren't really the same thing are they? Butler uses the LED to alert you of missed calls, messages etc. That's what I need it for. Does LED Off do that?

    Looking at the details of the app it seems you'd have to set it to turn off the LED for everything except SMS, voicemails etc. So when one of those events occured the LED would turn on. Is that right? Maybe I'll try it.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    That's what I was getting at. They aren't really the same thing are they? Butler uses the LED to alert you of missed calls, messages etc. That's what I need it for. Does LED Off do that?

    Looking at the details of the app it seems you'd have to set it to turn off the LED for everything except SMS, voicemails etc. So when one of those events occured the LED would turn on. Is that right? Maybe I'll try it.
    I think you have that mostly (maybe completely) right. Ledoff on it's own, can't enable the repeating led alerts. In conjunction with another application like "butler" it can do something along the lines of what you are mentioning (this is probably already what you meant).
  10.    #10  
    No actually I thought it causes the LED to act all on it's own.

    Looking at the screen shot I see check boxes for several items. The one's which look promising are, alert, generic alert, incoming mail, incoming SMS and voicemail waiting. I'd check all those and uncheck everything else.

    If I understand the app this would cause the LED to remain off all the time except when one of the above events occured. This would act as notification of an new event on the Treo.
  11. JayL's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    #11  
    I use both ledoff and Butler

    ledoff turns of led for radio signal, green flashing.
    butler turns on yellow, you choose of course, flashing for voicemail alert
    charging red and green work fine as well


    the check in ledoff for voicemail just allows another app to have that function and not disable it.

    the chatter led alert works as well in my setup, I don't have chatter turn led off just have it flash led on new mail
    Sprint 700p
  12. #12  
    I gave this a try, and it still doesn't work for me. Basically, the setup I'm looking for is for the LED to be off at all times except when there is an alert (incoming SMS, new email, new voicemail etc). Not when it's charging, connecting, connected, and so forth. LEDOff almost handles this, but it doesn't seem to have an override for the network connection status LED. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    Also, unless indicator is set to red via the Console, Chatter always lights up the LED whenever there is a connection in progress. Sure wish there was a way to supress the "connecting" LED for other indicator colors... Marc?

    Thanks, Jesse
  13. JayL's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    #13  
    jberman:yes I haven't found a way around the connecting led, but I like it because it stays lit when it can't connect and then I know I am having a problem.
    Sprint 700p
  14. #14  
    I have been using Butler and Chattermail for a few days now with no apparent problems. I will just post my setting and you all can try if you want....


    BUTLER:
    LED: off
    Attention Grabber's alert is set to silent (a midi) and set to solid red

    CHATTER:
    No popups/leds for anything
    attention manager is on
    Tone and vibrate are on
    Only vibrate when ringer is off is checked


    This works for me because I always have a a way to recognize the new email even if I don't hear the initial sound (IE the red light)

    Hope this helps
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulg1981
    I have been using Butler and Chattermail for a few days now with no apparent problems. I will just post my setting and you all can try if you want....


    BUTLER:
    LED: off
    Attention Grabber's alert is set to silent (a midi) and set to solid red

    CHATTER:
    No popups/leds for anything
    attention manager is on
    Tone and vibrate are on
    Only vibrate when ringer is off is checked


    This works for me because I always have a a way to recognize the new email even if I don't hear the initial sound (IE the red light)

    Hope this helps

    I just tried this set up and it doesn't seem to work for me.

    I gave myself a missed call. The LED went solid red and stayed that way for a few seconds then it turned off completely (I'm guessing it turned off when Chatter started communicating again.)

    Bummer.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulg1981
    BUTLER:
    LED: off
    Attention Grabber's alert is set to silent (a midi) and set to solid red

    CHATTER:
    No popups/leds for anything
    attention manager is on
    Tone and vibrate are on
    Only vibrate when ringer is off is checked
    Brilliant! Thanks paulg! Now Chatter is sending its alerts to the Attention Manager, and Butler's is using that to set the LED, vibrate, play a "You've Got Mail" mp3, etc....

    One thing though - sort of a general question - whenever the Attention Manager gets an alert, it turns on the screen. Does anyone know if there's a way to configure it so that the screen stays off? Other than that little glitch, this is a GREAT workaround!
  17.    #17  
    Do you have the "alert killer" option in Chatter checked or unchecked?

    Maybe that's my problem.

    P.S. Butler has the option to leave the screen off as long as you choose a MIDI alert.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    Do you have the "alert killer" option in Chatter checked or unchecked?

    Maybe that's my problem.

    P.S. Butler has the option to leave the screen off as long as you choose a MIDI alert.
    For me, Alert Killer is unchecked. It sounds to me like your problem is caused by the Chatter setting "Keep LED Off." That should NOT be checked, either.

    Thanks... I saw that feature of Butler.... as far as I can tell, that only applies to Butler's "nag" feature (that is, any alerts made after the first one). The initial activation of the Attention Manager, which is Palm OS-native, appears to turn on the screen no matter how that Butler option is set -- and I can't find a way to disable that. Oh well.
  19.    #19  
    Okay cool. I unchecked "alert killer" and now I have it set so the LED turns solid red for any type of alert (missed call, voicemail, SMS, Chatter E-mail.) It makes sense, can't kill alerts and expect Butler to read them.

    It's pretty much how I want it. The only thing I'd really like to be able to do is set it so it made noise/vibrated/turned on LED for SMS, Voicemail, and Missed Calls but only turned on LED for Chatter. I get too many e-mails to have it alerting me with sound/vibration every time a new one comes in. Just the LED going solid is enough. Unfortunately Butler doesn't let you specify how each event is notified. It's all or nothing.

    Anyway thanks to paulg1981.

    P.S. You're right about the screen. Looks like it always turns on the first time.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    It's pretty much how I want it. The only thing I'd really like to be able to do is set it so it made noise/vibrated/turned on LED for SMS, Voicemail, and Missed Calls but only turned on LED for Chatter. I get too many e-mails to have it alerting me with sound/vibration every time a new one comes in. Just the LED going solid is enough. Unfortunately Butler doesn't let you specify how each event is notified. It's all or nothing.
    It's going to take a little work, but I believe you can get your Treo to do pretty much exactly what you want. Butler's alert settings are applied IN ADDITION TO any settings that are natively handled by the Treo. So here's what you do:

    In Butler's Attention Grabber, set the alert to change the LED, play a sound, or whatever, but make sure you set it to Vibrate 0 times. Then go into the standard Treo preferences and choose the Sound section. Under the Application section, pick SMS. Then set Vibrate = ON under both "Sound Mode On" and "Sound Mode Off." Then you will get a Buzz from the Palm OS, plus a sound and LED from Butler, whenever you get an incoming SMS. You can do pretty much the same thing for Voicemails. The Palm OS Attention Manager alone won't cause a buzz now, so no more buzzing for incoming emails.

    If you want even more flexibility, you can have the LED light up a different color for new voicemails by unchecking "Voicemail Notification" in Butler's Attention Grabber, and using Butler's LED Control section to set the Voicemail color instead.

    Jesse

    P.S. Have posted over on MTDN in the Butler forum about the Attention-Manager-waking-the-screen issue...
    Last edited by jberman; 07/11/2005 at 10:22 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions