I realize there are a myriad of "Launcher" programs out there including:

Z Launcher
    Launcher X
    Megasoft
    iSpin
    Initiate
    TealAlias
    Launcher123

the list goes on. I have read up on these and installed mostof them. Some of these programs WILL of course allow you to assign a favorites button to a program that is installed on the SD card. However, they also do a whole bunch of other stuff that I'm really NOT interested in.

All I want is a CHEAP (or free) SMALL program that will simply allow me to assign a favorites keyboard shortcut to applications on the SD card. Nothing more. This is functionality that I would think should be already included in the Palm OS, but since it isn't, can anyone offer a solution?

This SHOULD exist, I hope. I'm not willing to pay $15-20 for this basic functionality.

Thanks!
    -Matt
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
    PowerRun will allow you to move many apps to an SD card and create shortcuts on your existing Palm launcher. But it's Shareware $15
    Give it a go.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    PowerRun has my vote. And it works flawlessly for my Sprint Treo 650. :-)
    Third.

If you just want simple, PowerRUN.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Try a program called Card Launcher. If you install programs to your internal memory, then move them to your SD card with Card Launcher, you can launch these programs from your card with a favorites button and shortcut. Programs moved to the card will display an asterisk. The program only costs $4 or $5. Hope this helps.
  6.    #6  
    Card Launcher- $4! NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!

Thanks beef!
  7.    #7  
    So far powerrun and card launch weren;t very impressive. instead of being able to just create a shortcut to an application that's ALREADY on the SD card, you have to actually ALREADY have it installed in internal memory and THEN copy it ove rto the SD card and it will leave a shortcut behind. for $15 powerrun is ridiculous. $4 for card laucher is a little more reasonable, but I had probelms with it. It seems a little unstable and would often lock my Treo in a state where it gave me a white screen and said "Loading Application..." from which it would never awaken until a reset.

Let's try MagicLink...
    Teal alias does the same thing as powerrun fyi...

So far powerrun and card launch weren;t very impressive. instead of being able to just create a shortcut to an application that's ALREADY on the SD card, you have to actually ALREADY have it installed in internal memory and THEN copy it ove rto the SD card and it will leave a shortcut behind.
    Well... DUH!!

How is what you want any different? First of all, apps cannot run of the SD card. Even if you directly install them there, they need to be copied to ram to run. Memory manager apps like PowerRun help you organize all this because otherwise all the apps would have to be in the /palm/launcher dir and thus all the shortcuts will ONLY appear in that dir! That is whole point of using a mem manager app, so you don't have to do that!

Also, another option if you don't want to use a mem manager is to simple install everything to /palm/launcher dir on the SD card and then use a launcher replacement like Zlauncher etc which can let your organize application categories, even of apps installed on the /palm/launcher dir...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9.    #9  
    gfunk- here's what I want in a nut shell-

I have 3 or 4 apps install on the SD card under Paml/Launcher (NesEm, TomTom Navigator5, TomTom Contact Navigator, maybe add another in the future...)
    ALL I want is to be able to get those apps to run using a keyboard shortcut. It's that simple.

Right now, I have to browse to the home screen, select the SD category, then scroll to the app icon and run it. I want to assign a favorites button to those apps and assign a shortcut key to get them to run from that.

Not so much a "well duh" situation. The apps are already on my SD card and run fine. I don;t, for instance, want to have to REINSTALL TomTom Navigator 5 onto my internal memory (it doesn;t run well from there anyway and TomTom recommends that you install it on the SD card), Then have to worry about moving it over to the SD acrd and searching out all of the neccessary files that go along with it.

I have a SIMPLE need and I don;t feel it's a $15 solution to simply create a shortcut in the internal memory to a .prc on the SD card.
  10.    #10  
    PS- I've tried teal alias and it works OK for what I want. However, it's $15! and the UI isn't all that hot.

But yeah, so far Teal Alias is the front runner.
    ...I have 3 or 4 apps install on the SD card under Paml/Launcher...ALL I want is to be able to get those apps to run using a keyboard shortcut. It's that simple.
    Has anyone found a good solution for this problem? I like the Palm favorites menu as a navigation tool with this one exception.
    My solution was PowerRun. All the apps I regularly use reside on the home screen...if they don't land there I put them there.
    Has anyone identified a good solution for this yet? I have just bought a 1Gb SD card, and I've moved my games and TCPMP to it. They all run great from there without a third party app launcher. It's just cumbersome getting there to launch them.
    Why keep asking if there is a solution. TC'ers keep recommending over and over. It works and is easy.

powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun powerrun

Quote Originally Posted by lauriefoss
    Has anyone identified a good solution for this yet? I have just bought a 1Gb SD card, and I've moved my games and TCPMP to it. They all run great from there without a third party app launcher. It's just cumbersome getting there to launch them.
    I should have said "and free". I'm joining the ranks of folks who are getting irritated having to buy apps to do what should be a native app on the Treo. Apps that cost $5 - $10 don't seem like much, but they add up when buying the volume of third party apps that are needed to do simple things (like hear the phone calls that I receive for instance).
    Understand. Over my years of Palm use, I am programmed that I will have to buy applications to make my life easier. Treo is no exception. However, I am very selective on what I purchase. That said, if you cannot find anything for free PowerRun is a wonderful choice.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriefoss
    I should have said "and free". I'm joining the ranks of folks who are getting irritated having to buy apps to do what should be a native app on the Treo. Apps that cost $5 - $10 don't seem like much, but they add up when buying the volume of third party apps that are needed to do simple things (like hear the phone calls that I receive for instance).
    If you want free, try LinkStart Lite