Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I just got a Verizon Wireless Treo 650 and am having a HORRIBLE time just trying to get basic applications to all work on the devices without eventually getting into a situation where I am thrust into a perpetual reboot. The latest occurred when I tried to delete Resco Viewer (to upgrade it) from the device and then I ended up in the perpetual reboot that just doesn't stop. Nothing I can find will prevent this and the only thing left to do is to do the dreaded hard reset. Using BackupBuddy VFS I ended up with problems. I used Backup Man and unfortunately that did not help solve the insanity, despite the fact that that last backup worked perfectly for a full day. For the FIFTH @#$&ing time I had to painfully reinstall every single application I have, and it takes at least an hour to do it from scratch.

Uninstall Manager is in there and I wonder if it is incompatible. However, this problem happened even without Uninstall Manager and I'm hoping someone else can lend me some of their knowledge as to what helped them stop the insanity. I find it frightening that with this VFS system that is supposed to be superior, even backup programs don't work at all.
    The first 650 I received rebooted a lot, mainly when doing anything data-intensive, I had it replaced and the reboots stopped. I don't know if this is your solution, but it could be as a last resort.

Does the VZW 650 come with the latest firmware?
    Last edited by MFizzel; 07/05/2005 at 06:07 PM.
    1 | 2
    Take a look at this thread for some ideas. Essentially, you should make sure the phone works properly before you load anything. If you cannot get the phone to work reliably without loading software, then you need to return it to get another one.

Once you have gotten a reliable phone, then you can start loading software. Most reboots after that can be traced back to either a corrupt database or a bad software program. The only way to know for sure is to load the programs one at a time and use the Treo for a little bit before you load the next one.

If you click on the link on my sig you will the the TON of apps I have loaded, and my Treo is rock solid. Good luck!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I just hope that with the new firmware upgrade the reboots stop.
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Interesting... thanks for your thoughts. I remember the Treo resetting a few times after I got it but then it stopped. The problem about the program loading issue is that there is no consistency with regard to what sets off the constant rebooting. What also doesn't make sense is why no backup manager seems to work reliably. After all, shouldn't the backups restore the Treo 650 to the exact state it was in *before* the crashing began? I'll see what I can do... Thanks much.

PS - I tried holding the movement key upward (stops loading of initial programs.) That works. Problem is that you cannot turn on the phone to use the ##377 code to see what crashed last. In addition, trying to delete programs in the Palm OS causes a reboot itself and once again, we're stuck in that vicious cycle. I remember the Treo 600 was not nearly this frustrating...

PPS - Verizon reports they have no software upgrades at this time.
    If the phone was rebooting when you got it, then it is most likely a hardware related problem.

BackupBuddyVFS will backup and restore assuming the hardware is working properly. If it is software related, then restoring a corrupt database or incompatible app will continue to cause the problem.

You can try an app called CrashPro to log the causes of crashes to see if you can find a pattern. However, it seems you need to return your Treo and get a new one. Good luck!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I have the same problem with 2 of my phones, and they all crashed at random apps, SMS, Verichat and versamail. I am not too sure if it's hardware or software, but some time it worked for a long time without reboots.. so it's hard to say.. but it seems to me that Treo 650 are pron to have reboot issues..
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekkle
    I have the same problem with 2 of my phones, and they all crashed at random apps, SMS, Verichat and versamail. I am not too sure if it's hardware or software, but some time it worked for a long time without reboots.. so it's hard to say.. but it seems to me that Treo 650 are pron to have reboot issues..
    Without consistent troubleshooting, it will always seem random and you will never narrow down what is causing the problem. The Treo, when operating properly, is NOT prone to reboot issues. There are applications out there that do not behave properly and cause reboots and file corruption. Some have pointed to the NVFS system as a possible cause although I have never experienced those problems.

You can rule out hardware by using the phone clean, without hotsyncing or any apps whatsoever. If the phone reboots with the standard ROM apps, then you most likely have a hardware or carrier related issue.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I'm holding my breath. So far no reboots.. yet, but not much usage since I'm reinstalling apps. Truth is that the Treo should come with Crash Pro or some other manager installed to help with troubleshooting. We should all not be beta testers for Palm. Apparently many of the issues in software isn't necessarily mediocre development but in the discovery of Palm/Treo based bugs.

And for those Treo 650 fanboys who said that 32MB of RAM (2xMB usable) is more than they'll ever need, it seems that running the new version of ACT for the Palm will be a frustrating one. Here are the system requirements. Without a RAM upgrade, I can't see how it will be practical to have Act and your existing apps on this phone...

Palm OS 3.5 or higher
    Minimum 33 MHz or higher processor
    Minimum 8 MB or higher memory
    Minimum 500K free memory plus 1K for each contact
    Hot Sync Manager 3.5 or higher
    Problem with Crash is that you can't see what last crashed! I've stopped using it myself so that I can look at the phone log.

Now that I think about it, Crash Pro has logging capability, so that would cover it I suppose. But myself, I have disabled it since I don't see the need to pay for Crash. It doesn't seem to do anything for me anyway. My old SJ22 I played a game that would sometimes freeze the Palm needing a soft reset, but Crash would catch it and reboot. So far I haven't seen Crash help at all on the Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Thanks khaytsus. I'm just trying to figure out why the 650 is crashing with "verified" apps and trace whether this is anoher "hardware" problem or just flakiness that hasn't been corrected in your stock Treo 650 from Verizon. So far there is absolutely no way to determine what was the last item to cause the Treo to go into an endless reboot since you can't shift-up reboot and dial ##347 to see what crashed the phone...