Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    1. When I delete a message i get this option: "Do you want to delete the message from the server too"? What server? If I say yes, is the message also gone from my home computer?

2. When I pick up a message on my treo I can't find i on my laptop. I don't mean 'when I delete a message', I mean simply picking up the message. Its delivered to my treo but not my laptop? Why?
    1) The mailserver is the server. It depends on the protocol you are using, POP3 - Probably not, since your Home Computer is leaving a copy on the server. IMAP, most likely it will be "deleted from your Home Computer". That's what makes IMAP nice, but, you could also have caching enabled, so it wouldn't be deleted.

2) This insinuates you are using POP3. That's the nature of the POP3 protocol. You can choose to leave a copy on the server but I believe there are bugs in Versamail (shovelware) that will keep downloading that same message over and over.
    Quote Originally Posted by slthree
    1. When I delete a message i get this option: "Do you want to delete the message from the server too"? What server? If I say yes, is the message also gone from my home computer?
    if you have your email account on your computer at home set up to leave messages on the server, then i believe that it will remove those.

2. When I pick up a message on my treo I can't find i on my laptop. I don't mean 'when I delete a message', I mean simply picking up the message. Its delivered to my treo but not my laptop? Why?
    there should be an option to leave a copy of the message on the server.
    it's not a crack house, it's a crack home.
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    This insinuates you are using POP3. That's the nature of the POP3 protocol. You can choose to leave a copy on the server but I believe there are bugs in Versamail (shovelware) that will keep downloading that same message over and over.
    Wow, you guys are good. yes, Its a POP3 account, although I don't really understand what that means. And, YES, I keep getting the same messages over and over again, just like you said. That's the reason I thought I should say Yes when it asked me if I wanted to delete the message from the server as well. But, it looks like that will delete it from my home computer. Is this why people get snappermail or chattermail?

These two questions are related. I'll address the second one first.

Under Options/Preferences/Server there is an Option to "Leave mail on server .... Check this if you also view mail from this account on a PC" My guess is you don't have this checked and the mail is being delivered to your Treo and automatically deleted from your server. So if you check the mail on the Treo first and then your laptop the message is deleted by Versamail and can't be delivered to your laptop.

If you do enable the option above, then your mail will be left on the server and delivered to any POP client that connects to your server to retrieve new mail. If you want to delete the mail from your server so that it is not delivered to all of your email clients, then answer yes when prompted and when you empty your trash and sync again, the message should be removed from the server.
    But, it looks like that will delete it from my home computer.
    Deleted from the server won't delete the message from your home computer if it's already been delivered to the email account on your home computer. If it hasn't been delivered yet, you will never get it (per my previous message).
    Wow, you guys are good. yes, Its a POP3 account, although I don't really understand what that means. And, YES, I keep getting the same messages over and over again, just like you said. That's the reason I thought I should say Yes when it asked me if I wanted to delete the message from the server as well. But, it looks like that will delete it from my home computer. Is this why people get snappermail or chattermail?
    This is a known issue with Versatrash. If you are locked into a POP3 protocol (most ISPs don't offer IMAP) you may want to consider using an application like Snappermail or Chattermail (which recently added POP3 support, I believe). About the only thing Versamail is good for is for creating so much instability and headache that custom roms are developed to explicitly remove it.

Others have also suggested using intermediary services like Fastmail, which can 'fetchmail' your POP3 account, store it on that mailserver, and allow you access to the mail data using IMAP. Search the forum, there's a wealth of information out there about these alternative solutions.

"Leave a copy on the server" won't work with POP3/Versamail, Versamail will continue to retrieve that message over and over. I would guess it's an indexing issue.
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    there are bugs in Versamail (shovelware) that will keep downloading that same message over and over.
    What is 'shovelware'?
    What is 'shovelware'?
    Shovelware = Total programming garbage that is "shoveled" down your throat by a default installation. Such Shovelware products include "AOL, Earthlink" and other ISP installations you see on new computers targeting home users under the guise of creating solutions or providing functionality.