1.    #1  
    Hello all.

I recently received my second Treo 650 in the mail (damn paranoid work place wouldn't let me bring in a camera phone, had to pick up the camera-less version) and noticed that when I turn this one on/off the screen flashes bright white before showing the menu when turned on, or before blanking the screen when going off.

This didn't happen with the old phone. Does this white flash happen to anyone else?

I didn't play with this new Treo until after I installed the latest firmware, which was not on my old phone yet. So I'm not sure if it is the phone, or the firmware that is causing this.

I can live with the flash, if I must , but am concerned about any effect this might have on the screens life. Is anyone else experiencing this on/off flash that wasn't before the latest firmware, or perhaps I've picked up a phone with a small flaw that I should look into replacing?

Thanks for any feedback!
    I don't know if I have a white flash, but I have an abnormal flicker that my 600 did not have. It's annoying more than anything, and it creates this extra second or two delay to get to the application I want to use. I think I posted something a while back about this and nobody else responded that it was anything to worry about, or anything I could fix. Sorry . . .

BTW- where did you get a camera-less 650???
    Palm -> PalmIII -> HPC Jornada 720 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 680

http://canyonero.org/ashu16
  3.    #3  
    Loading apps seems to be okay, it is just when turning the phone on/off. It is odd -- it is the first thing I noticed when I started using the phone, it screams at you the first time you notice it. I'm getting used to it now... so it is only a mild wimper.

This is a thread I posted a while back about my camera crisis, and where I learned about the camera-less version. I got mine through Sprint, which the thread seems to imply is the only company that currently offers one.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=86939

The first reply talks about an application that will disable the camera for a certain length of time, which is really cool. Just wasn't enough paranoia relief for security here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie
    when I turn this one on/off the screen flashes bright white before showing the menu when turned on, or before blanking the screen when going off.
    I've noticed this also on a refurbished replacement Treo. Not sure what it means, and it is just a little annoying, but I can confirm it IS happening to someone else. None of the other 3 Treos I had did it.

Oh, and mine HAS a camera.

TR1
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    I had this happen on 1 new and 1 refurbished unit. I called P1 and they put me through to a tech. He told me that it is the transfer from video controller to the screen that causes it and that there is no detriment in it happening. I specifically made sure that there wouldn't be pre-mature wear, etc... on it. However, I found it unbelievably annoying.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the info. Good to know that it (supposedly) isn't going to kill my phone 2 days after the warrenty expires. I'm still trying to decide if it annoys me enough to send the phone back and get a new one... which might do the same thing.
    I had this happening on my refurbrished Treo too. It hasn't happened lately though. Not sure what I did. Perhaps it was the firmware update that stopped it? This is a long shot, but the only other change I can recall is the uninstalling of Directory Assistant (because it kept crashing) and reinstallation of Directory Assistant.
    I've had this on both of my 650's (both Sprint) and on both updates it did the same thing. I don't think it's much to worry about, but you never know.
    I have the same problem with my replacement refurb.
    it is a tad annoying being that my other phone never had this problem.
    Mine did it. Stopped when I switched batteries. Not sure how that makes sense, but it worked.
    I saw it happening on my old 650 but it was sporadic - sometimes a hard reset would fix it - so I don't think it's purely hardware related. I know for sure that it wasn't always like that, but toward the end it was. I had to swap it out for an unrelated issue.
    I had two refurbs then a brand new model issued to me from Sprint (long story of painful phone problems) in the last two weeks, and also took the opportunity to install 1.12 on each one of them. I believe all 3 units exhibited this flashing, but I couldn't tell you if it only showed up after the 1.12 upgrade or not. Even the new unit (which I still have) definitely has this flashing behavior.
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    not sure if i have the same problem. been using unlock gsm for 2 weeks. firmware 1.28. when switching to phone application - white screen for abt 1 sec. but when switching back to launcher screem not much delay, consider almost instantaneous infact.. is this what you are experiencing right now?
    using default launcher, but do have my own wallpaper..but even if switch to dial pad, there's still this 1 sec delay. didn't really notice it previously. but seems to be more obvious now...could it be due to i deleted the photo from the treo? yet it still remain as the phone wallpaper? thought this is normal since they have the wallpapercache file in the ram..

thanks.
    I just got a refurb Sprint Treo 650 and does the on/off flicker as well. It was annoying at the beginning because the last one I got did not have that problem. Now it is something I am getting use to. Has anyone tried the battery swap to see if that might be the cause?
    I just got a replacement Treo today. My old one didn't have this flashing problem but the new one definitely does. Did we ever figure out how to keep this from happening....or is it just something I have to live with?

Also, my new phone won't allow me to do the ##744# code that my old one would. Is there any other way for me to figure out if this is a refurb?
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetoad
    I just got a replacement Treo today. My old one didn't have this flashing problem but the new one definitely does. Did we ever figure out how to keep this from happening....or is it just something I have to live with?

Also, my new phone won't allow me to do the ##744# code that my old one would. Is there any other way for me to figure out if this is a refurb?
    It sounds like this is a problem with later model phones, because it happens on mine (which was a new phone 6/1/2005). I just did a hard reset last night to "format" and get rid of a bunch of junk, and I still have the flashing screen problem. I don't think it's software related, maybe hardware? I have revision A so maybe that's not the case . . . any other suggestions?
    Palm -> PalmIII -> HPC Jornada 720 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 680

http://canyonero.org/ashu16
    I just got a refurb yesterday as my original suddenly started suffering from keyboard issues. I immediately noticed a yellow flash right when I was in the Sprint store checking it out. The refurb came at 1.08 firmware. I got it home and upgraded to 1.12 and still see the flash. The phone is Hardware A. I came to this board to see if anyone else has this issue and while I'm not surprised to see that others do in fact have a screen flash, everyone is saying theirs is white and mine is yellow. Now I'm wondering if the screen flash we are experiencing is a factor of the theme we are using on the device? I use (always have) "Velvet", and that has a soft yellow background.