Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does Graffiti work on the Treo650? If so, how does one enable it? (I see that there are 2 Graffiti 2 libraries in the ROM). How does one access the command bar on a Treo? Pressing Option + the menu button simultaneously doesn't seem to work!
    Yes, it works, but not out of the box. You need a third party app to make it work. You can use Graffiti Anywhere (free) or Tealscript (not free). I bought Tealscript because at the time Grafitti Anywhere did not support Graffiti 1 strokes, and I am too lazy to learn G2.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    pardon my ignorance, but what is graffiti. my guess would be that it allows you to draw using the touchscreen sorta like a paint program?
    Quote Originally Posted by lazieboss
    pardon my ignorance, but what is graffiti. my guess would be that it allows you to draw using the touchscreen sorta like a paint program?
    Graffiti is a handwritten text input program that comes standard with most Palm devices. I suck at it which is why I bought a 650 - QWERTY keyboard - hello?
    For us Palm oldtimers, Graffiti is an old habit to break...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    For us Palm oldtimers, Graffiti is an old habit to break...
    What exactly can you do with Graffiti that you can't do with the keyboard??
    Can you write faster with Graffiti than you can thumbtype? I found out a few weeks ago that I type 35 wpm on the 650, and that's including all proper capitalization and punctuation and even factors in hitting the backspace key for a couple slips of the thumb.

I just don't understand why people pull out the stylus anymore unless they're gonna play a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Can you write faster with Graffiti than you can thumbtype? I found out a few weeks ago that I type 35 wpm on the 650, and that's including all proper capitalization and punctuation and even factors in hitting the backspace key for a couple slips of the thumb.

I just don't understand why people pull out the stylus anymore unless they're gonna play a game.
    I don't use Graffiti but I DO use my stylus ALL the time. I prefer it to the 5Way.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com

Like I said, its an old habit to break. I got very good at Graffitti and never warmed up to thumboards. I also like the command stroke, the shortcuts, and the other little conveniences of Graffitti anywhere on the screen. Sometimes moving the 5-way all over the screen to hit a button is a pain. Using the stylus is more convenient. And while the stylus is out, I can write down a number or enter a password, I mean, I already have it in my hand.

Besides, it makes me happy. If thumbs make you happy, then be happy.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Like I said, its an old habit to break. I got very good at Graffitti and never warmed up to thumboards. I also like the command stroke, the shortcuts, and the other little conveniences of Graffitti anywhere on the screen. Sometimes moving the 5-way all over the screen to hit a button is a pain. Using the stylus is more convenient. And while the stylus is out, I can write down a number or enter a password, I mean, I already have it in my hand.

Oh they make me happy alright...being able to type twice as fast, being able to hardwire 26 separate programs to each letter (Butler's K-Launch, I notice you don't have Butler....neither do I, I'm about to try it out...I was using the favorites; pressing the green phone button then holding down a letter, but K-Launch can be used from anywhere...hold W and open Blazer...hold C and open Calculator, etc.)

"Sometimes moving the 5-way all over the screen to hit a button is a pain." That's extremely true, but for moments like those, I just use my thumb!! :-o

I challenge you to a typing and launching duel! :-D
    ...I challenge you to a typing and launching duel! :-D
    Bwhahahaha! No contest man. I have seen some crazy thumbs move across that keyboard, and they will likely beat my half-baked Graffiti strokes any day!

I dont type that much in the Treo anyway. I mostly check email, browse the web, and ocassionally make a phone call. For the little I type I find it easier to not change than embrace something new and better. I have become the old man in the story that refuses to embrace progress... and I'm not 40 yet!!!
    Cingular Treo 650

I agree. I think people who don't understand using Graffiti on a PDA never spent much time using it. I'm much faster with Graffiti than the keyboard! I picked up a friend's IPAQ over the weekend and was surprised to find recognition software very similar to that of Graffiti. If they put a phone in that thing, I might give up the Treo for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi
    I agree. I think people who don't understand using Graffiti on a PDA never spent much time using it. I'm much faster with Graffiti than the keyboard! I picked up a friend's IPAQ over the weekend and was surprised to find recognition software very similar to that of Graffiti. If they put a phone in that thing, I might give up the Treo for it.
    Alright...go time yerself. In one minute, how many words can you copy outta a magazine (with correct capitalization, punctuation, etc.)??? I got 35, whu choo gotz?

I think the people who don't understand the keyboard haven't given it enough time. I can type two letters by the time you're even swooping one b, or humping one m. I'd recommend you force yourself to keep the stylus in the phone for a week, maybe memorize the keyboard's alternate characters even...

But how 'bout that WPM??
    Wow... that's soo weird to find soo many users around here who have never used graffiti before! For old time palm enthusiasts, G1 was one of the major features that made palmos so special. Afterall, it was a pda platform before there were ever smartphones around...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Yeah, I am an old timer with Palm, so I find it a bit funny that people don't know what Graffiti is. It was good. I got Graffiti Anywhere, and much to my own surprise, I am already quite nestled into using the keyboard, but it may be because I don't feel like retraining myself for G2 since I only know G1. There isn't that much difference, but I seem to get stuck with capitals and what not in G2. So, I unloaded Graffiti Anywhere. But I have it, just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Wow... that's soo weird to find soo many users around here who have never used graffiti before! For old time palm enthusiasts, G1 was one of the major features that made palmos so special. Afterall, it was a pda platform before there were ever smartphones around...
    It's not that I've never used it before, but I've certainly never used it for long. I played around with Palm devices for many hours before I finally decided to buy one. First Palm device wasn't really a Palm, but it was in fact a *TA-DA* Handspring Treo 300. I picked it up and found it very hard to put down. No learnin' nuffin'...no stylus to drag, swoop, loop, and curl...no mistakes! Just press a button and an entire letter appears.

I don't think that Graffiti was one of the major features that made palmos so special. I'm pretty sure that it was attributed to the simplicity of the os...and the simplicity of the hardware sure didn't hurt it either. How many forms of input are there -- voice, handwritten, and keys. Voice still isn't going to really happen for another 5 or 10 years. I don't know why they used graffiti over a keyboard...maybe because since it had a touchscreen, they might as well use a keyboard for writing and selecting...who knows?? Sure palmos was a PDA platform, but it wasn't that well thought out in terms of networking, multitasking, etc....and it sure wasn't that well thought out in terms of data input either. Why did it take so long to get a 5-way control?? Were up and down buttons really enough??

What's really funny to me is how Jeff Hawkins created the Palm Pilot...then left Palm to start Handspring. That's where the real comes in for you graffiti folks.

I still haven't heard the benefits of using graffiti....anybody??

BTW...how 'bout those wpm comparisons??
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFalken
    Yeah, I am an old timer with Palm, so I find it a bit funny that people don't know what Graffiti is. It was good. I got Graffiti Anywhere, and much to my own surprise, I am already quite nestled into using the keyboard, but it may be because I don't feel like retraining myself for G2 since I only know G1. There isn't that much difference, but I seem to get stuck with capitals and what not in G2. So, I unloaded Graffiti Anywhere. But I have it, just in case.
    OHHH...I know what Graffiti is alright.

I thought that one of the newer versions of Graffiti Anywhere supported G1?? Maybe I misread that somewhere.

But if you're that serious about using Graffiti 1, I hear you can pay for TealScript (LINK: http://www.tealpoint.com/softscrp.htm). But would you seriously want to pay $30 for an inferior input method?? If it's a better method to you, pay that hard earned $30 and lemme know how it works out for ya.
    I thought that one of the newer versions of Graffiti Anywhere supported G1?? Maybe I misread that somewhere.
    What you need is a version of G1 that has been updated for the 650:

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-...s_for_Treo_650

I use this with Graffiti Anywhere and have no problems.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I have installed Grafitti Anywhere - that lets you use Grafitti 2 on the screen of the Treo 650. But it doesn't work quite right - certain strokes, like "l", don't draw, waiting to see if you subsequently draw a "-" to make a "t". On my old Kyocera 7135, the stroke "l" was always drawn right away; then if you drew a "-" the stroke was rewritten as a "t". Has anyone else found a way to make this work better?
    Nobody wants to take me up on the Graffiti -vs- Thumboard WPM challenge, though, eh??

Ya...that's what I thought!! Put those styli back where they belong, punks!! :-P
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WPWoodJr
    I have installed Grafitti Anywhere - that lets you use Grafitti 2 on the screen of the Treo 650. But it doesn't work quite right - certain strokes, like "l", don't draw, waiting to see if you subsequently draw a "-" to make a "t". On my old Kyocera 7135, the stroke "l" was always drawn right away; then if you drew a "-" the stroke was rewritten as a "t". Has anyone else found a way to make this work better?
    Am I the only one who has this problem? It makes Grafitti 2 on the Treo 650 almost unusable!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast