Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I installed Graffiti Anywhere to test it out. I have a question on this. How can you use Graffiti withOUT having to keep pressing the side button, or some other button? It seems you must keep pressing some button continuously in order for Graffiti to work.

Also, trying to write an "i" is extremely challenging, at least for me. Personally, I like the keyboard better, but that's just my preference.
    go into the advanced tab, App Manager, & set the app for "auto on".

If you liked Graffiti 1, there is a way to install the G1 libraries for Graffiti Anywhere, but you will lose the ability to make punctuation marks in Graffiti. I got frustrated with the 2-stroke characters also (particularly the "i") & went back to G1 - much better now...
    Hi Kayden,

Thanks a lot for your helpful info! I also realized that within Application Manager I had to also highlight each individual application, such as "Datebook" and press the "Auto On" button to get an "A" to show up to the left of the highlight "Datebook". This took me several tries to figure this out! The first several times I kept pressing Auto On but nothing happened.

Further, under "Activation" I also had to switch to something such as "Tap screen corner" and also have the box checked for "Single tap recognition". After doing all this, then Graffiti actually does work automatically without having to continuously press a button. Now, when in DateBook, if I tap my stylus on the bottom right corner, I see a tiny reverse "L" icon to indicate that Graffiti is actively on.

I didn't realize there were so many configurations to make in order to get Graffiti to work! But making the letter "i" is still a bi^ch though!
    another old palm user here (Handspring Visor Deluxe then Clie SJ20). i can touchtype so the QWERTY thumb keyboard was pretty easy to adjust to, but i've always liked grafitti 1 (haven't learned 2). nice to know i can have them both .
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    My apologies because I have not read all posts here yet but there is a good reason to stay with grafitti. That being the intrusion that a keyboard can be into personal interview settings. I do interviews all the time. As soon as I open a laptop or use any other keyboard that requires eye contact, the interview is impacted. Grafitti lets me maintain eye contact with the person. Plus in interviews ithas always been an expectation on the part of the interviewee that people will be scratching notes. Grafitti on the 650 comes as close to scratching as one can get and still be electronic... so speed is not always the issue. When I need speed I do use thumbs. :-)
    I'm not understanding the whole graffiti for taking notes and giving interviews answer....why would you need to look at the screen to type but not look at the screen to write??

I can type perfectly fine looking at the wall now. I think you just have to keep typing regardless of what keys you hit....you might make a mistake, but oh well...I'm sure you make mistakes when writing Graffiti. Or maybe you guys just need some practice, or a better keyboard for tactile feedback, or something....

EDIT: Just so we're all on the same page, I'm talking about REAL keyboards (i.e. - laptops/ fold-outs) and not thumbboards.
    Last edited by grndslm; 08/08/2005 at 05:48 AM.
    Again the Command bar is not available out of the box... 3rd party apps such as butler and zlauncer provide command bar access.

Re "WHY GRAFFITI"? Why not? I use both. It is faster / easier in some instances, espacially when entering a field / entry that includes both numbers and text, or when I am already using the stylus.
    Quote Originally Posted by havana
    Re "WHY GRAFFITI"? Why not? I use both. It is faster / easier in some instances, espacially when entering a field / entry that includes both numbers and text, or when I am already using the stylus.
    There's no way that you can say graffiti is faster in some instances. Graffiti is never faster. But I do agree that using the stylus over the thumbboard for giving interviews and taking notes...completely!

Now, you've got to re-read my question because it sure wasn't "Why graffiti?" (maybe earlier in the thread, but not the last one)...it was "Why would you need to look at the screen on a laptop but not look at a handheld's screen to write Graffiti?" Which I'm saying, I don't understand why someone'd pick a handheld over a laptop to give an interview. I guess quick standing interviews would clearly need graffiti....but why even focus on writing with graffiti if you can just use a voice recorder?

I guess I'll never understand those who chose graffiti for anything other than nostalgic purposes.
    I am digging up this old thread so as not to start a new one on the same topic.
    But I am so very curious why we need to get a third party app for Graffiti, but the data bases are already on the 650?
    M100, M515, Tungsten E, Treo 600, Treo 650 unlocked GSM; SW 1.20 ENA; FW 1.71 (T-mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijou
    I am digging up this old thread so as not to start a new one on the same topic.
    But I am so very curious why we need to get a third party app for Graffiti, but the data bases are already on the 650?
    Because the Treo is a keyboard device, Palm wanted us to use the keys not the stylus, so they did not put in the software to detect the writing on the screen. That's what Graffiti Anywhere does for you.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Thanks ChasT.
    Makes sense, and I am very fond of the keyboard.
    But why is the graffiti data base in there?
    M100, M515, Tungsten E, Treo 600, Treo 650 unlocked GSM; SW 1.20 ENA; FW 1.71 (T-mobile)
    I just traded for a Treo 600 and am taken aback at the lack of Graffiti support.

I have a Sony Clié SJ33 (PalmOS 4.1) and have gotten rather dependant on Graffiti 1. BTW I use version 4.10 of ZLauncher on my Clié.

Please, in my instance, what is the best/most effective way to get Graffiti on my 600?

Be Well,

DrNicket
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123