Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm a G1 fan, never warmed up to G2.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    I'm really not trying to be a d!ck, it's just that I'm sincerely interested as to why somebody would still want to use Graffiti, either 1 or 2, over the keyboard? What features that GFunk mentions does it provide that the keyboard can't?

If nobody answers this question, I'll stop asking it. I'm just so confused how you can just ignore my question, repeatedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I'm really not trying to be a d!ck, it's just that I'm sincerely interested as to why somebody would still want to use Graffiti, either 1 or 2, over the keyboard? What features that GFunk mentions does it provide that the keyboard can't?

If nobody answers this question, I'll stop asking it. I'm just so confused how you can just ignore my question, repeatedly.
    For someone who is not trying, you sure are being very good at it.

It is not a matter of features, it is a matter of PREFERENCE and CHOICE. I prefer Graffitti, so I choose Graffitti. If you prefer the keyboard, use the keyboard.

I prefer McDonald's fries over home fries. Are home fries better? Healthier? Tastier? Maybe. I still prefer McDonald's. It's called choice, and that is a good thing.
    Cingular Treo 650
    I bought the Tealscript, but it doesn't necessarily work real well for me. The cursor jumps around in certain apps (where I have it turned on), but it's erradic. No amount of tweaking the settings has changed my experience.

I'm faster with graffitti than I am with the stupid typing.

ANyone else slightly dissatisfied with Teal?

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    For someone who is not trying, you sure are being very good at it.

It is not a matter of features, it is a matter of PREFERENCE and CHOICE. I prefer Graffitti, so I choose Graffitti. If you prefer the keyboard, use the keyboard.

I prefer McDonald's fries over home fries. Are home fries better? Healthier? Tastier? Maybe. I still prefer McDonald's. It's called choice, and that is a good thing.
    That analogy doesn't have anything to do with anything.

I still haven't gotten an answer as to why you PREFER and CHOSE Graffiti over the thumbboard. Had somebody asked me that question, 20 posts ago...I assure you I could pin it down to at least a couple reasons. People are just too vague around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusbliss
    I bought the Tealscript, but it doesn't necessarily work real well for me. The cursor jumps around in certain apps (where I have it turned on), but it's erradic. No amount of tweaking the settings has changed my experience.

I'm faster with graffitti than I am with the stupid typing.

ANyone else slightly dissatisfied with Teal?

Greg
    Hey siriusbliss, I'd really appreciate it if you voted in this poll: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=89860. I'm curious as to how anyone could use speed as a reason for using Graffiti over the thumbboard...the speed part is more physics than preference, is it not??

I mean, I could understand certain gestures you could do in Graffiti. I enjoy gestures in Firefox (All-in-One Gestures, actually; LINK: https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...info.php?id=12) as it makes viewing the web MUCH easier.

But you can't input text faster with a mouse than a keyboard.

Only possible thing I could imagine is if you only had one thumb...MAYBE!! But what other explanation could there be?
    Let me try to answer why some of us do prefer using Graffiti:
    Although I find myself using the keyboard most of the time, there is one thing I cannot do with it which I can do easily with G1:

I do not need to actually stare at my PDA at all when writing with graffiti, meaning neither the screen nor the buttons.

It is very natural to write several sentences with graffiti while staring at somebody or trying to copy some texts (like when making a list)... Very convenient while listening to a presenter or teacher, or simply when your eyes are tired.

Anyway, that was my 2 cents to this debate.

I actually typed this response with the keyboard (again I use graffiti less and less because the Keyboard is certainly a bit faster and very convenient since I do not have to pull out the stylus. But there are situations where I prefer the stylus and graffiti, when I need to pay attention to a presentation and need to jog down some notes.)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselMan
    Let me try to answer why some of us do prefer using Graffiti:

I do not need to actually stare at my PDA at all when writing with graffiti, meaning neither the screen nor the buttons.

It is very natural to write several sentences with graffiti while staring at somebody or trying to copy some texts (like when making a list)... Very convenient while listening to a presenter or teacher, or simply when your eyes are tired.
    Thank you...that's exactly what I was looking for.
    That analogy doesn't have anything to do with anything.

I still haven't gotten an answer as to why you PREFER and CHOSE Graffiti over the thumbboard. Had somebody asked me that question, 20 posts ago...I assure you I could pin it down to at least a couple reasons. People are just too vague around here.
    Why do I one thing over another? It can be a million reasons - comfort level, ease of use (thumboards are a relatively new occurrence in Palm world), hormone levels - heck it could be anything. Maybe I dont like typing with my thumbs. Maybe I dont like the tiny little itty bitty keys. Maybe I am just plain lazy and dont want to learn a new input method when the old one suits me fine. Graffitti doesnt have to be "better" than the keyboard for me to use it - Graffiti was just first, and the only choice, for a very long time, and it works for me.

As a very funny side note, I remember my first Palm and thinking Graffitti was the stupidest text entry method on the planet. I moaned and groaned until I tried it, and then I got used to it, and then I liked it. I would be perfectly happy with a Treo 700 or something that looks like a T5 with a large screen and no keys at all.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Why do I one thing over another? It can be a million reasons - comfort level, ease of use (thumboards are a relatively new occurrence in Palm world), hormone levels - heck it could be anything. Maybe I dont like typing with my thumbs. Maybe I dont like the tiny little itty bitty keys. Maybe I am just plain lazy and dont want to learn a new input method when the old one suits me fine. Graffitti doesnt have to be "better" than the keyboard for me to use it - Graffiti was just first, and the only choice, for a very long time, and it works for me.

As a very funny side note, I remember my first Palm and thinking Graffitti was the stupidest text entry method on the planet. I moaned and groaned until I tried it, and then I got used to it, and then I liked it. I would be perfectly happy with a Treo 700 or something that looks like a T5 with a large screen and no keys at all.
    So...what you're saying is that you're old. :-P

J/k..I salute you. without your [and others'] hard work in learning Graffiti, we wouldn't have a Palm, nor Handspring, nor Treo. Thank you for loving Graffiti so much.

Finally this conversation can rest.

-Peace out!
    I would be perfectly happy with a Treo 700 or something that looks like a T5 with a large screen and no keys at all.
    Ditto, but without the new type of RAM please
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I should qualify as an old timer, 54 yrs old, and have been through the usual lineup of Palm and Microsoft PDAs. With that said, if I never see graffiti again it'll be too soon. Good riddance!

Just for old times I install Graffiti Anywhere on my 650. My trip down memory lane lasted about 30 minutes until I deleted the program.

The QWERTY keyboard was an important factor in my decision to get a Treo in the 1st place and I wouldn't even consider another PDA without it. You can press a button faster and more reliably than you can hand write code. It's as simple as that.
    I'll take the poll, but I can still scribble faster than the stupid typing. I don't just use my thumbs because they make too many mistakes hitting neighboring keys. I've tried laying the Treo down and typing with index and thumb, but it's still just a pain!

Greg
    I'll take the poll, but I can still scribble faster than the stupid typing. I don't just use my thumbs because they make too many mistakes hitting neighboring keys. I've tried laying the Treo down and typing with index and thumb, but it's still just a pain!

Greg

Greg

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusbliss

Greg
    Looks like you'll need to scribble 4 times faster than the rest of us
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Nobody wants to take me up on the Graffiti -vs- Thumboard WPM challenge, though, eh??

Ya...that's what I thought!! Put those styli back where they belong, punks!! :-P
    Wow - I'm amazed you can be such an obnoxious *** over something so pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondsw
    Wow - I'm amazed you can be such an obnoxious *** over something so pointless.
    Whatever you say, dude.

People said that they could scribble faster than they typed. I tried to point out that the speed involved in typing versus writing is simly physics....not a preference. There are other things mentioned above that could be preferred over a thumbboard and I never thought of them that way since my first pda (and phone, in fact) was a Treo 300.

According to everyone who's visited the poll....I'm right in my thoery that typing is faster than scribbling.
    I installed Graffiti Anywhere but I too found that I had some problems with it and I uninstalled it. I'm also an older palmer, of the female variety though and was thoroughly used to and comfortable with Graffiti, first I and then II.

I've converted over to the 5-way navigator great and find myself using the keyboard most of the time. However, having said that, I have some apps on my Treo that are old and they don't support the 5-way. So if I have the stylus out, it would be easier to just Grafitti it!!

My 2 cents worth as well!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast