1.    #1  
    I have Cingular service, and I found a good price for an AT&T branded 650. Will a Cingular SIM card work, positively?

I went from a T3 to a Treo 600 and I cannot stand the lowrez graphics or choppy MP3s.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdawg
    I have Cingular service, and I found a good price for an AT&T branded 650. Will a Cingular SIM card work, positively?
    No. An AT&T branded Treo will be SIM-locked and will only accept AT&T SIMs.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  3.    #3  
    Thanks... I bought a 600 branded at&t and it works fine with my cingular SIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdawg
    Thanks... I bought a 600 branded at&t and it works fine with my cingular SIM.
    It will work if it is unlocked. A locked Cingular phone should not work with an AT&T SIM.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Most of the AT&T phones are locked to AT&T only.

Even though AT&T is now part of cingular the SIM codes are still different (and will remain so). The new cingular is calling AT&T units "Cingular Blue" While old Cingular customers and all new customers are "Cingular Orange".

AT&T Plans and locked phones are locked to "blue" cards. If you are not a legacy AT&T corporate account you cannot get a new phone to use with a Blue account. If you want a new phone you have to convert to a Cingular Orange plan (Rolllever but no free incomming SMS). All new locked phones (unless they are specially provided for legacy corporate accounts from the AT&T) and old locked cingular phones are "Orange" and can only be used with "Cingular" SIMS. All Blue equipment can only be used with AT&T SIMS. The SIMS that come with coporate Cingular Blue phones are still branded AT&T!

Most all AT&T phones were shipped locked. Cingular will almost never unlock them, when pressed they often lie and say they can't. A few people have had their phones unlocked, but they are in the minority. Cingular Blue support says that blue equipment wont work on Orange plans, but for voice it will, and with a reflash it will work perfectly for data too.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. Now if I recall correctly, the AT&T was unlocked, but I thought it did not matter. Guess I got lucky.