1.    #1  
    Ok...I'm getting ready to buy the TomTom Navigator 5, as after doing much research, it seems to be the best solution for GPS via Treo 650 out there (better than others, such as EMTAC or Mapopolis...although if you disagree, feel free to tell me why). However, I have some questions that perhaps those of you out there that either have your TomTom Navigator 5 systems or are more technically skilled then me could answer. Any help or info is always greatly appreciated! Thanks!

1) It seems like you can buy the TomTom Navigator 5 software and a different BT GPS receiver than the one that is shipped with the TomTom Navigator 5 package, especially at Semsons.com. Since Semsons looks like it has the best prices, especially for their bundled kits with a different BT GPS receiver, I'm wondering what people's opinions are of the two they offer (Holux GPSlim236 Bluetooth GPS (SiRF III) and GlobalSat BT-338 Bluetooth GPS (SiRF III)) vs. the one that comes with the regular TomTom Navigator 5 package. From the research I did, it looks like the best BT GPS receiver out there is the GlobalSat BT-338, and that is what I'm planning on going with, but am wondering if I'm mistaken or another one of these is better...

2) Can all of these BT GPS receivers also work with other BT devices, such as a Pocket PC (especially the Sprint PPC-6600) or by IBM T42p laptop (with Microsoft MapPoint or Streets and Trips)? If not, which ones can and which ones can't?

3) Do all of these BT GPS receivers work without requiring line of sight to the satellites (i.e. could you put it in the glovebox of your car and it would still work fine)? If not, which ones can work without line of sight and which ones can't?

4) It seems like the smallest one of these BT GPS receivers is the one that comes with the regular TomTom Navigator 5 package. Are the other two significantly larger? Could you put them in a pants pocket and forget they were there (i.e. very light and small)??

5) Can the TomTom Navigator 5 application on the Treo 650 work as just a mapping application without the BT GPS receiver (i.e. if you just wanted to look up a street to see what was near there, etc. could you do that on the TomTom 5 Navigator application, especially if you didn't have the BT GPS receiver with you at the time)?

6) What's the deal with map updates from TomTom? Are they free? How often do they come out?

7) How would you suggest I set up/mount the Treo 650 and/or the BT GPS receiver in my car (2000 Saab 9-5) so that I can use it most effectively and safely? What mounting products do you recommend?

8) What are the battery lives of the different GPS units I listed above?

9) Does anyone know what the return policy is at Semsons and how good and reputable they are? If it doesn't work for me correctly, or doesn't do something they said it would, can I return it easily and get all my money back?

10) What's the deal with TomTom's PLUS service in the US, especially on the Sprint network? Will it work at all? Will it ever work if it doesn't currently?

11) From what I can tell, you can donate a small amount to the GPSpassion.com site and gain a 10% discount on a purchase at Semsons. It seems that it might be prudent to do that here, since the donation would probably be less than the amount off with the discount. Anyone know how this works or whether it will work?

12) I read somewhere that a lot of BT GPS receivers have something called a static navigation filter that will give erroneous information when being used at slow speeds (i.e. walking, etc.) and that the BT-338 has this filter de-activated. Is this true? Can you use the BT-338 GPS receiver at slow speeds with no problems? How about the other two BT GPS receivers I mentioned above?

13) What exactly is WAAS?

14) What exactly is NMEA?

15) Is the SIRF III chipset the best out there? Is it in all of these BT GPS receivers I mentioned above?

16) Are there banks as Points of Interest in the TomTom Navigator 5 application package (if not, this would be quite an oversight...at least I think so)?

17) Are there problems establishing the initial connection between the BT GPS receiver and the TomTom Navigator 5 application? Have they been resolved?

18) Anyway to increase the size of the road names you have to turn on or exits you have to take so that they are easier to see?

19) Anyway to examine Points of Interest in detail (to ensure that its the correct Point of Interest) before having the program route you to it?

Sorry 'bout so many questions, but I want to make sure I'm getting the right device for me and that it will work how I want it too. Please feel free to answer any of the questions you know the answer to, and hopefully this thread can serve as a reference point for future individuals interested in the TomTom Navigator 5 package that have similar questions. Thanks!

- marc
    I have TT nav 2004 which is amazing. I am a software developer and look at tons of software and technoligies and this is one of the few products that has excedded my expectations for many years. I do not know the answers to many of your questions. The product is really simple and just works out of the box so I did not have to do much tinkering.

3) Do all of these BT GPS receivers work without requiring line of sight to the satellites (i.e. could you put it in the glovebox of your car and it would still work fine)? If not, which ones can work without line of sight and which ones can't?

Like you said "line of sight". None will work in a glovebox unless you have an external entenna. I have TT Nav 2004 I leave the GPS unit nexgt to the shifter and it works fine.

5) Can the TomTom Navigator 5 application on the Treo 650 work as just a mapping application without the BT GPS receiver (i.e. if you just wanted to look up a street to see what was near there, etc. could you do that on the TomTom 5 Navigator application, especially if you didn't have the BT GPS receiver with you at the time)?

Yes. No GPS is reqired to use as map.

7) How would you suggest I set up/mount the Treo 650 and/or the BT GPS receiver in my car (2000 Saab 9-5) so that I can use it most effectively and safely? What mounting products do you recommend

I have a $10 phone clip that grabs onto vents. It works well. E-bay has lots of options. Just get the phone as close to your eyes as possible as the details can be hard to read.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sheppardk
    Like you said "line of sight". None will work in a glovebox unless you have an external entenna. I have TT Nav 2004 I leave the GPS unit nexgt to the shifter and it works fine.
    I'm pretty sure that some actual users of the TT Nav 5 have reported the ability to use the BT GPS Receiver with the Treo 650 while it was in their glovebox. I just don't know which model of the BT GPS Receiver they were using, or whether this works all the time or it was just a fluke. Anyway, thanks for the responses to my other questions!!

Anyone else have any answers to the rest of my questions? Thanks again!!

- marc
    Many of these questions have been addressed in prior post. A search of the forum, should help narrow down the list.

With respect to your question regarding the GPSPassion discount... If you search the GPSPassion forum, they will tell you how to get the discount..., but, I never received the discount following my donation and several request for the discount code.
    I have the tomtom gps and can use it in my glove box, usually with 3 to 4 'bars' of reception.
    Take a look at Proclips for a great in-car mounting solution.

The BT-338 will work inside a glove box or center console holder once it gets its first GPS lock -- I usually give it 2-3 minutes on the dash and then can move it to the glove box for the rest of the trip.

All of the BT GPS units will work with Laptops, Pocket PCs, etc. -- they obviously need to have BT as well.

BT-338 Battery life is roughly 12-15 hours and they do ship it with a car charger for longer trips.

The BT-338 size is about the same as 2 golf balls -- easily pocketable but no necessarily "forget it is there" sized.

TT Nav 5 as a software-only package is not shipping yet. It should be out in the next 1-2 weeks. Might be sooner according to the folks at Semsons.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Hello,

I'll answer where I can...

1) It seems like you can buy the TomTom Navigator 5 software and a different BT GPS receiver than the one that is shipped with the TomTom Navigator 5 package, especially at Semsons.com. Since Semsons looks like it has the best prices, especially for their bundled kits with a different BT GPS receiver, I'm wondering what people's opinions are of the two they offer (Holux GPSlim236 Bluetooth GPS (SiRF III) and GlobalSat BT-338 Bluetooth GPS (SiRF III)) vs. the one that comes with the regular TomTom Navigator 5 package. From the research I did, it looks like the best BT GPS receiver out there is the GlobalSat BT-338, and that is what I'm planning on going with, but am wondering if I'm mistaken or another one of these is better...

I have the one bundled with the software and it works great. I've used a lot of GPS's for hiking in the past and this one is great in terms of getting and holding a fix. It's very slim and very simple to operate.

2) Can all of these BT GPS receivers also work with other BT devices, such as a Pocket PC (especially the Sprint PPC-6600) or by IBM T42p laptop (with Microsoft MapPoint or Streets and Trips)? If not, which ones can and which ones can't?

I have the T42p as well and MS Mappoint but haven't tried it. I think I will though

Mine worked in my house and garage which none of my previous GPS units could do. Must be the chipset and sensitivity. I'm very happy with it.

4) It seems like the smallest one of these BT GPS receivers is the one that comes with the regular TomTom Navigator 5 package. Are the other two significantly larger? Could you put them in a pants pocket and forget they were there (i.e. very light and small)??

You could easily slip this thing in your pocket because of it's slim design.

I've done this a little but no too much. Seems to work fine.

7) How would you suggest I set up/mount the Treo 650 and/or the BT GPS receiver in my car (2000 Saab 9-5) so that I can use it most effectively and safely? What mounting products do you recommend?

I just kept the GPS receiver on the dashboard any my treo in a cup holder...

8) What are the battery lives of the different GPS units I listed above?

I got about 12 hours out of mine on the first charge I did.

10) What's the deal with TomTom's PLUS service in the US, especially on the Sprint network? Will it work at all? Will it ever work if it doesn't currently?

I used it for traffic info through Los Angeles and it worked okay. I'm not sure how accurate the info is or where they get it from.

13) What exactly is WAAS?

I believe WAAS incorporates a ground based beacon to better determine your location by combining that info with sat info. I've used it on a GPS V and didn't think it made much of a difference from a hiking perspective. Not sure about Auto use.

14) What exactly is NMEA?

I think this is just a standard communication protocal for GPS info. With my Mappoint and Garmin GPS V I had set them both to NMEA to communication.

16) Are there banks as Points of Interest in the TomTom Navigator 5 application package (if not, this would be quite an oversight...at least I think so)?

I don't see "Banks" or "Financial Institution" etc, in my list. (Do people still use them?

17) Are there problems establishing the initial connection between the BT GPS receiver and the TomTom Navigator 5 application? Have they been resolved?

Mine connects great. Also, I think my GPS auto turns off when it no longer sees the Treo. I haven't read the manual yet, but again it's pretty simple.

18) Anyway to increase the size of the road names you have to turn on or exits you have to take so that they are easier to see?

I haven't noticed this as a problem. It is difficult when looking up POI when the names are long. When you highlight a POI though the text size decreases to fit more of the name in.

19) Anyway to examine Points of Interest in detail (to ensure that its the correct Point of Interest) before having the program route you to it?

Not that I've found...
    re 18: I, too, have not found any way to increase the font size of the "next street". Unlike Kevroc, it's a big problem for me. Since Lori doesn't speak the name of the street, in an area with many streets close together the only way to confirm which one she really means is to take a quick glance at the screen while driving. With the tiny print, that just doesn't work for me.