1.    #1  
    Questions for those of you that use IM heavily on your phone...

1. Can I just replace SMS with IM if I'm paying for unlimited data? Are there still cases where it makes sense to have SMS?

2. What's the best way to use desktop and mobile IM clients simultaneously? I'm not particularly enamored of the idea of continually signing in and out of my phone and my desktop. Should I just set up a second account for my phone and give that address to people as well?
    Treo 650 with 1 GB SD card!
    http://www.rkuo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by rkuo
    Questions for those of you that use IM heavily on your phone...

1. Can I just replace SMS with IM if I'm paying for unlimited data? Are there still cases where it makes sense to have SMS?

2. What's the best way to use desktop and mobile IM clients simultaneously? I'm not particularly enamored of the idea of continually signing in and out of my phone and my desktop. Should I just set up a second account for my phone and give that address to people as well?
    I use the yahoo messenger from burmeister(sp?) and it uses sms to send messages (especially if you arent actively in the program). If you are, then it pops up within the program. If you're not, then you get an sms alert and then you go into the yahoo program to send replies, etc.

On my work pc, I have a different IM screename. When I leave my work computer, I change my status to "Out of office, send IM's to ______" That way, then can either send it to my work computer and I will read it when I get back OR they can IM my treo and I can respond or call them.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Don't think you can use an IM client to send a message to a phone, eh?? Is that what the yahoo thing is about?? I just send SMSs with the SMS program, and use Agile Messenger since it's free. I'm not too much of a heavy IMer any more.

If you use AIM you don't need to have two separate accounts, you just sign on the phone and the desktop at the same time or different times with the same account.

Maybe I'm misreading the question....guess I'll find out sooner or later.
    Im not sure what you are saying grndslm.

SMS can be used to send messages to other phones (which I do a lot of) but I havent found a way to use it exclusively to chat with someone who doesnt have a cell phone.

IM works great to chat with someone who is at a computer (and to those whose cell phone has IM capability) but I havent been able to send an SMS to a computer?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

5.    #5  
    Here's a link with more on the subject: http://blogs.msdn.com/omars/archive/...14/417511.aspx

Basically, it seems like you can go IM to SMS and back, but I'm not sure of all the details. I don't completely understand it yet but that's why I'm here reading. =)

grndslm, I use MSN messenger and when I sign in at one location, it logs me out of the other. I guess AIM must work better in that respect.
    Treo 650 with 1 GB SD card!
    http://www.rkuo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Im not sure what you are saying grndslm.
    Well...I thought the question was how to replace SMS with IM.

I understand you can IM using IM and SMS using SMS....but replacing SMS with IM -- never thought about it. Although it would be nice since you wouldn't have to pay extra for unlimited SMS.

Since I'm an AIM user, dunno if that link about "MSN Messenger to SMS communications (AKA: Enhanced mobile messaging" will work for me. But I'll stick to my separate forms of communication for now.