1.    #1  
    This is a post for people looking for help on how to effectively remove the Orange software that comes preloaded on their Treo 650's. The sidebar/dialler software is 10x worse than the original Treo software that comes on the unit - any phone I've ever had from Orange has had some customised 'front end' that NEEDS to be removed to make the phone function as well as it can.

Basically, what I've managed to do is turn my Orange Treo 650 into a proper Treo 650, keeping all the (semi) useful Orange bits such as the SIM book, SIM srvcs etc. No longer will you have to navigate Oranges' sidebar headache to get to the dialpad, and you'll find the phone works much better (and faster) without it.

Please bear in mind that this is the first Palm device I have ever used/owned. I am NOT experienced at this, but found this method to be extremely easy to execute - and recommend you do it STRAIGHT AWAY if you have an Orange Treo 650!

I'd recommend doing this on a clean phone - with no contacts, memos or any other user data - although it's not a problem if you have entered such user data. You will have to do a hard reset once during this 'upgrade' which will wipe all said info anyway (apart from data stored on the SIM card). Just do a HotSync before you start with your normal profile. Also, when upgrading the firmware, hotsync with a different profile name - make a new profile in Palm Desktop called 'FirmwareUpdate' or something and do the firmware updates under this profile. Thus when you've completed the firmware you can revert back to your normal HotSync profile to restore all you backed up data. This means you don't restore all your user data while upgrading the firmware, as 'that would be a waste of time' (War Child, Point Preak) because you still have to do a hard reset.

Things you'll need:
    An SD card to put the firmware update on.
    An SD card reader/writer attached to your PC

The method:

A. First flash the firmware ROM with a custom ROM image, say ShadowMite's custom 1.

I don't know if it's entirely necessary to flash the firmware with ShadowMite's custom ROM first. This is how I did it and it worked well.

If you go to http://ShadowMite.com/romsGSM.html and download custom GSM ROM #1 you'll have all you need. Read the instructions on ShadowMite's site about how to use the ROM update tool. Basically it involves unzipping the contents of the custom ROM zip file to your SD card, putting the SD card in your treo, and reseting your Treo by doing a soft reset (sticking the stylus into the reset hole behind the battery cover). It's very straightforward, and you'll find that once the firmware update is complete you'll be missing VersaMail and several other programs. Fret not as they will be returned having completed the next step. BTW I found the instructions on ShadowMite's site did not go hand in hand with the actual process of updating. Don't worry, it's all pretty sensical stuff, just use common sense: there aren't any really tricky decisions to make so if you haven't got any common sense like me then you still shouldn't run into problems! But do follow the instructions as closely as you possibly can.

B. Upgrade the firmware to the Unlocked GSM version on the PalmOne website.

Go to this site:

Treo 650 Updater

Lots of info there, read and digest. Down at the bottom is the download link with further instructions. I DON'T have an unlocked Treo 650, and this firmware update worked fine, so don't worry about the prerequisite unlocked Treo 650 bit. (something to do with the intermediate ShadowMite firmware update I presume).

You should perform this update with a different HotSync profile as mentioned at the beginning of this post.

Well, that's about it. You'll have to do a fair bit of resetting during this process, and the Treo will appear to reset in a loop once or twice - don't panic if it does this! It happened on mine, but the loop was not infinite, and after 2 'automatic' resets, the pda sprung into life in all its' glory. Turn the phone on (hold down the red power button) and go to menu, 'phone info' and check the firmware (hopefully 1.28) and software (hopefully Treo650-1.13-RoW). You hopefully will have noticed the disappearance of the Orange sidebar thing too. And that VersaMail is back on there.

I should mention that this method will update your phone to the same version of firmware that I have updated mine to. Maybe there's a newer firmware/software package available by the time you read this, and that will probably work too. Just try. I have read that you can't do any damage to the phone by flashing the firmware with a version of firmware other than the one customised for your network, but what is REALLY important is to not flash a CDMA phone with a GSM firmware and vice versa. ShadowMite's website tells you all about that!

I hope this helps the honest Orange user. I think it's absolutely necessary to do this and hope you find it useful. My instructions have not been 100% detailed because it's a fairly intuitive process, and I feel confident that anyone with a few brain cells and a reasonably good tech knowledge will have no problem doing this update.

While I'm at it I might recommend a few VERY useful programs for the Orange user, and Treo 650 users in general:

TrafficStat: Monitors your GPRS usage. Orange does not include a GPRS data counter in any way or form, nor do they let you check your usage on the go by calling them up. I wonder why?!

VolumeCare: Lets you amplify the earpiece speaker on the notoriously quiet internal speaker of the Treo 650. Also lets you increase the mic sensitivty on the notoriously insensitive built in microphone!

TreoAlarm: Good alarm clock with multiple alarms and automatic weather info. Really useful.

I know there's more stuff to go here, as I think of them I'll add.

Next thing we need is an update to VersaMail so we can sync contacts, memos and tasks as well as mailbox folders with an Exchange server! Come on PalmOne - this would be killer!

Good luck.
    So you arent bothered about the warranty then. I asked orange whether I would lose my warranty if I loaded an update direct from palmone and the answer was a resounding Yes!

I would recomend that you wait until either:
    1. Orange release their version of the update or
    2. Shadowmite (or another smart person) works out a way to restore orange firmware in case we need to send one back!

Just my 2 penneth!

Paul
    i'm not too worried about the update voiding the warranty. Would orange even notice the difference? Most of their staff have yet to see a 650 let alone be clued up enough to notice? I'm sure you could get away with taking it back. Has anyone done the update then had to return it? How did it go?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aal234
    i'm not too worried about the update voiding the warranty. Would orange even notice the difference? Most of their staff have yet to see a 650 let alone be clued up enough to notice? I'm sure you could get away with taking it back. Has anyone done the update then had to return it? How did it go?
    Yes, I did the update and returned it the beginning of June (swapped for new one via Orange Care)- touch wood, but no hassles yet.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pbutterworth
    So you arent bothered about the warranty then. I asked orange whether I would lose my warranty if I loaded an update direct from palmone and the answer was a resounding Yes!
    Couldn't agree more with aal234's response to this:
    Most of their staff have yet to see a 650 let alone be clued up enough to notice
    I would recomend that you wait until either:
    1. Orange release their version of the update or
    You could wait till Orange releases their version of this update, but you'd still be stuck with their customised software after the update presumably. Interestingly, if you have a problem with your Orange Treo 650, Orange tech support recommend you get in touch with PalmOne support. They then cannot help you when you come to problems with the Orange dialler. So there's effectively no support for that, which makes me feel more confident when I do my own upgrade with PlamOne software.
    2. Shadowmite (or another smart person) works out a way to restore orange firmware in case we need to send one back!
    Paul
    That would be ideal - is this possible? Is it just a matter of time until someone takes an image of the Orange ROM?

Just my two ... duf duf, ARGGH, smack.
    hmmm do you have the ptt sofware on your treo im looking from quite a bit, so i can study the software, i like to have it if you don mind send it to me,,, ok here is my mail marper@hotmail.com thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieSounds
    That would be ideal - is this possible? Is it just a matter of time until someone takes an image of the Orange ROM?

Just my two ... duf duf, ARGGH, smack.

I'm puzzled, is there anything in your Orange contract that says you can't update the SW? I can't find anything in mine and our Orange rep positively encourages people to go to PalmOne for support which would include getting the latest SW.

I doubt they would have much of a legal leg to stand on if they refused service because a user had proactively kept his unit up to date with all the latest bug fixes. It is, after all, an official PalmOne release.
    Hi, I've beben looking for a counter so thanks for the heads up for Trafficstat. One question though. Whilst it counts any emails I get, does it count web pages I download? On the trial version, browsing the web did not move the counter. Sorry for any nievity on my part.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    TrafficStat counts all emails, mms and all internet useage (browsing/ downloads etc). Usually pretty accurate to my Orange bill.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Followed this procedure. All seems to work well, except that I seem to have lost RealPlayer and VersaMail - how do I restore these?

Update: it looks like I never succeeded in installing the second, official firmware. Following that part of the procedure again seems to have fixed the problem - I have VersaMail and RealPlayer again.
    Last edited by DaylightCome; 07/10/2005 at 05:48 PM.
  11.    #11  
    That's good to hear it's been useful to someone!
    your post is definitely good news for me - thanks for the clear and accurate explanations! before i'm gonna apply this to my new t650, i just would to check the following:

i assume that you got your t650 from orange uk? do you think the procedure will also work with a t650 obtained from orange switzerland, or do you even know of somebody who already installed the unlocked gsm firmware from palm sucessfully on a orange switzerland t650?

cheers, andreas

update: could not wait. took some courage and did it. everything worked like a breeze. my orange switzerland treo is now working perfectly with the standard palm gsm firmware. thanks again for sharing your information! i'm super happy.
    Last edited by kira; 07/16/2005 at 07:28 PM.
    Cool, I came on here to see what I'd lose if I ran the unlocked phone updater on my UK Orange phone. Sounds like the answer is 'nothing that you will ever miss'
    balls....
    I can't install the update cos I'm running Orange firmware. So.... I need to flash the firmware with a different rom first, doesn't matter which one, I just need it as a temporary step.
    Thing is, I can't find a download for a basic unlocked GSM rom. I've followed the instructions on the shadowmite site and get the following error:

"C:\Install>java t3
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: t3 (wrong name: T3)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)"

Is there somewhere I can just download a basic unlocked Rom from or could someone email me one?
    thanks,
    James
    s'ok, I found this site for a ROM download
    http://www.webdogg.net/id2.html
    and all sorted