Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have dug around through the forums and I couldnt find a definnate answer to the question, so im posting it here.

I am using a Sprint Treo 650. Have the unlimited PCS plan and I am aware that using the 650 as a "modem" is not allowed, but with that said, what is needed to set up the 650 to connect to my laptop as a modem.

I do not use a dialup service, so I need to access the PCS portion of the system.

Is there a way to set this up, or am I out of luck?
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Well I myself think you might have used the wrong search parameters. The term you are looking for is 'DUN'Dial Up Networking. You will find that the new Sprint PCS update will give you 'DUN'. You can also goto www.shadowmite.com to get a custom ROM that will do the same thing. I myself have a 1.08 ROM with a shadowmite ROM. To connect to SPCS (Sprint PCS) via data dial #777 from your laptop. If I did not answer your question with this please Re-Post.

This post hand crafted on the Treo
    If your laptop has bluetooth then your set but if not you need an adapter.. If your phone firmware is updated to the newest v1.12 then dun is enabled and is an option when you turn on bluetooth. There are a lot of threads here that gives instructions for setting it up.. If you don't want the headache and your laptop doesn't have bluetooth then you can purchase pdanet and use the sync cable that came with the 650 to go online which doesn't need any setup.. Install it on laptop and install the prc on the phone and its as simple as hitting connect to get online.. Good luck..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    So, now that Sprint has enabled Bluetooth DUN on the Treo 650 with the new firmware, are they saying that it's okay to use the phone as a modem? I've been using PDANet.
    Good question copwriter, but given P1's historical "stickler" background, I'd say that with the release of 1.12 and the unlocked DUN access...it's free reign! But maybe Sprint has something in thier "hidden clause" that says you can't. I don't know for sure.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Quote Originally Posted by copwriter
    So, now that Sprint has enabled Bluetooth DUN on the Treo 650 with the new firmware, are they saying that it's okay to use the phone as a modem? I've been using PDANet.
    I'm gonna take a wild guess that since Sprint said they were going to enable DUN in the future and that it is now enabled and can only be used for one purpose that their giving it the silent nod of approval.

And by the way NRG, that's freaky how your posts mimic your avatar...too too freaky freaky.
    Quote Originally Posted by elrodvoss
    what is needed to set up the 650 to connect to my laptop as a modem.
    Hmm....the bluetooth usb adapter. I'd recommend searching for a CLASS 1 bluetooth adapter...and preferably one that folds...because a tiny stick that protrudes a couple to a few inches off the side of your laptop isn't the best thing in the world. If you find one that matches my description, make sure you lemme know which one it is because mine doesn't bend and I hate it.

Reason I recommend the class 1 is more for reverse DUN (using broadband over bluetooth on your treo), which means you'd need to have broadband (which you don't have)....but maybe you might get it in the future and will be prepared. Who knows? Not me.
    Maybe I'm answering the wrong question, but I use PDAnet TO use my 650 as an interface with my laptop to connect to the internet. It works great. I have had an unlimited connecetion plan with sprint for two years now.
    Pilottreo1
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Hmm....the bluetooth usb adapter. I'd recommend searching for a CLASS 1 bluetooth adapter...and preferably one that folds...because a tiny stick that protrudes a couple to a few inches off the side of your laptop isn't the best thing in the world. If you find one that matches my description, make sure you lemme know which one it is because mine doesn't bend and I hate it.

Reason I recommend the class 1 is more for reverse DUN (using broadband over bluetooth on your treo), which means you'd need to have broadband (which you don't have)....but maybe you might get it in the future and will be prepared. Who knows? Not me.
    I bought a cheapo USB BT adapter at Wal-Mart and it works great ($25 I think).
    Quote Originally Posted by elrodvoss
    I have dug around through the forums and I couldnt find a definnate answer to the question, so im posting it here.

I am using a Sprint Treo 650. Have the unlimited PCS plan and I am aware that using the 650 as a "modem" is not allowed, but with that said, what is needed to set up the 650 to connect to my laptop as a modem.

I do not use a dialup service, so I need to access the PCS portion of the system.

Is there a way to set this up, or am I out of luck?

Boy, I wish I had stock in this company. This works fantastic, and sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for. Download the trial. I don't know how long the trial is good for, but I certainly will pay this amount once it ends. Great program.

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=88368

-
  11.    #11  
    ok got it to sync up. but I am unable to get it to link up for modem access through bluetooth.

what is a link for that set up?
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo
    Does using the DUN take minutes from your Sprint telephone plan?
    Mine doesn't. I have a 500 minute-per-month package, shared with another phone. DUN is clocked the same as sending/receiving e-mail and web browsing on the Treo - that is, not at all, so far as I can tell.
    It's so crazy that I'm sitting in the backseat of a car traveling at 80+ mph and can get better than dial up speeds with no wires connected to my car. I couldn't stand to be in a car with two girls for a 2 hour drive. I mean, what would we talk about?? DKNY?? Brad Pitt??

Nope...instead I get to chat with my homeboys on TC. God, I love this world!! These are great times we're living in, fellas!!!
    It's so crazy that I'm sitting in the backseat of a car traveling at 80+ mph and can get better than dial up speeds with no wires connected to my car. I couldn't stand to be in a car with two girls for a 2 hour drive. I mean, what would we talk about?? DKNY?? Brad Pitt??

Nope...instead I get to chat with my homeboys on TC. God, I love this world!! These are great times we're living in, fellas!!!
    You're sitting in the backseat with two girls, with nothing better to do than be online? Does the term "tag-team" mean anything to you?? If you need your online fill, you can still rest your laptop on their heads...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    It would be a mistake to view this as some sort of approval of DUN usage. Sprint phones have had this ability with cables for years. They even sold the software and cables to to it a few year back for their standard vision phones. My Sanyo vm4500 could do it if I used software that was posted on the sprint website.

Just because a capibility is included doesn't mean that an associated behavior is sanctioned. My motorcyle will easially do 110 mph, so will my car. My computer can copy CD's, music and expensive programs. The manufacturers removed copy protection from the computer program CD's but they certainly don't want me making copies.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that since Sprint said they were going to enable DUN in the future and that it is now enabled and can only be used for one purpose that their giving it the silent nod of approval.

And by the way NRG, that's freaky how your posts mimic your avatar...too too freaky freaky.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrenner
    It would be a mistake to view this as some sort of approval of DUN usage. Sprint phones have had this ability with cables for years. They even sold the software and cables to to it a few year back for their standard vision phones. My Sanyo vm4500 could do it if I used software that was posted on the sprint website.

Just because a capibility is included doesn't mean that an associated behavior is sanctioned. My motorcyle will easially do 110 mph, so will my car. My computer can copy CD's, music and expensive programs. The manufacturers removed copy protection from the computer program CD's but they certainly don't want me making copies.
    From everything I've read, Sprint will most likely come out with a new plan eventually to allow all-you-can-eat data usage on the Treo 650, including usage as a modem. The big question is how much they will charge for it. I am trying to find out without identifying myself as someone who needs it. I'll post if I can get any information. In the meantime, I would continue to observe the unwritten rule of not using more than a few hundred megabytes of data in any billing period. Most of us who have done that have not been hassled by Sprint.
    What other phones does BT DUN access to SprintPCS for Laptop work with? I know someone who's looking for wireless access for occassional laptop access but doesn't want/need a Treo. Will this work with any Sprint phone that can access SprintPCS and has BT?
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You're sitting in the backseat with two girls, with nothing better to do than be online? Does the term "tag-team" mean anything to you?? If you need your online fill, you can still rest your laptop on their heads...
    Heh...I didn't say the "backseat with two girls"...one had to drive and the other had to keep her company. But I'll be sure to keep the tag-team idea in mind for my next road trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrenner

In the past, tethered DUN wasn't possible right off the bat with the phone....with version 1.12, bluetooth DUN is possible outta the Sprint box. It is true that they had a link on the sprint website directed straight to PDANet, but then removed it later (maybe they didn't, can't remember exactly). Why the heck'd they do that in the first place, anyway??

About your analogies...the motorcycle/car thing I can understand, but not the CD copying part. Manufacturers don't give a dern if you copy your CDs, it's the redistributing and/or selling part that's wrong and I agree with them. Even the car thing is a little tricky because we have a speed limit of 70mph, but it's still perfectly legal for you to ride your motorcycle 110mph... as long as you do it at a drag strip or private roads. Government rules only work in certain places. Sprint rules, on the other hand, work everywhere you want to use your Sprint phone. I'm not trying to say that rules are meant to be broken, but they're always bent.

And in the near future I predict Sprint will bend the rules for the 650 and "light" bluetooth DUN usage. Reason being is that when Sprint first made their "no DUN" rule, dial up was a lot more widespread than it is today. Had they allowed it then their superior service would have been an easy choice for a 56k user and there would have been mayhem on their networks. Now, Sprint's network has matured quite a bit and the majority of American Internet users connect through broadband, and probably MOST ALL of 650 users. Not sure why the initial poster of this thread won't or can't get broadband....perhaps lives in the country???

But the part of my argument that I'd consider having the most weight is Sprint saying they were going to allow it when it was not so buggy. Palm released the new update with DUN usage. Sprint wouldn't have allowed that had they not intended on having some use for it. Certainly it's going to give them a big help in the market place as they are the only carrier who will allow it outta the box (so far). And like I said, the majority of people are only going to find niche opportunities to use this...it's not going to be replacing primary internet connections for most. But even still...if you can stream to ptunes for 6 hours a day, it certainly shouldn't hurt their network to allow somebody on a business trip to download/upload a few text files or presentations or whatever.

Yea...maybe my new argument is ptunes usage only on the treo taking up way more bandwith than a web browser, which is also on the treo. Sprint only charges $15/mo ($10 if you don't want that $5 of free downloads) and I don't see them complaining to ptunes streamers!
    Last edited by grndslm; 07/05/2005 at 03:22 PM.
    I setup my Mac to use the Sprint Treo 650 as DUN modem and it worked like a charm. I did notice a new section on my "Details" section of sprint.com's mypcs page labeled "CASUAL USE PCS WIRELESS WEB MINUTES"... it showed number of minutes included 0 and number of minutes used 2... not sure how that will be billed, but it sure sounds like they were able to track it. I am running the latest Sprint firmware - with DUN enabled etc. Not sure if that helps, but the CASUAL USE PCS WIRELESS WEB MINUTES appeared on the details page only after I surfed from the Mac over the Sprint phone data network. I have unlimited data plan for $15 a month and had used far more than 2 minutes checking email and IMing and surfing during the month before trying the new firmware DUN setup.

Anyone else try this and see if that new section on their MYPCS details screen shows up on their account?

JSD303
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast