1.    #1  
    I have a question. I am using the WINVNC server for my Pc and I see they have a ULTRA-VNC version . Is there a huge difference between using the win-vnc and the ultra-vnc ???

http://palmvnc2.free.fr/download.php
    I use Ultra exclusively. One of the nice things is the server side scaling, makes navigating nice.
    Ultravnc has a video driver that speeds up data transmission:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...784#post620784
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks you for all the help. I will switch to the Ultra-VNC
    I've been using ultravnc for a while with no problems. after reading this thread, I went to see if I had the latest ultravnc. their page says that 1.0.0 is now released. after installing this version, when I try to connect to my desktop using palmvnc I get the following error:

VNC currentServer supports protocol RFB 003.004
    PalmVNC supports 003.003

any way around this? the new ultravnc looks nice, I hope it's not incompatible with palmvnc though, don't want to downgrade. any suggestions are appreciated.
    -- berto
    I can not find the video driver, can someone provide a link to the driver.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalfx
    I can not find the video driver, can someone provide a link to the driver.
    See post #44 for installation of the video driver.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...784#post620784
    Quote Originally Posted by bertopl
    I've been using ultravnc for a while with no problems. after reading this thread, I went to see if I had the latest ultravnc. their page says that 1.0.0 is now released. after installing this version, when I try to connect to my desktop using palmvnc I get the following error:

VNC currentServer supports protocol RFB 003.004
    PalmVNC supports 003.003

any way around this? the new ultravnc looks nice, I hope it's not incompatible with palmvnc though, don't want to downgrade. any suggestions are appreciated.
    Does anyone have a fix for this?
    rc18 is the latest release that works for me. a later version MAY work, but uninstalling vnc leaves so many remnants, it's hard to tell. I knew rc18 previously worked, but I had to wipe a lot of registry entries to finally get it to cooperate again. when I have more time, I'll probably try to similarly wipe out rc18 and try a newer version, but for the time being, it doesn't look like anyone has any answers on this protocol incompatibility with the release version which also seems to appear on the later rc versions.
    -- berto
    Got mine working. That thing about the protocols is not the problem. The problem was that I couldn't log onto the computer because of my firewall (Windows xp SP 2) or because I had it set for a Windows login required.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Got mine working. That thing about the protocols is not the problem. The problem was that I couldn't log onto the computer because of my firewall (Windows xp SP 2) or because I had it set for a Windows login required.
    Yes, I agree. I've seen this error message (VNC current server protocol supports RFB 003.004, PalmVNC support 003.003) when I've tried to VNC into my WindowsXP PC when a different user profile was logged in. The only way around it is to install and setup the UltraVNC server on each user profile's setup.

The problem is that PalmVNC doesn't allow you to log a user off or switch a user, thus you are locked out if the UltraVNC server is not running on the current user profile.
    Slightly off topic. Can the Palm VNC app work over bluetooth?

I'd like to control my mac (running itunes) using the treo - as a sort of remote control for iTunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSongBird

I'd like to control my mac (running itunes) using the treo - as a sort of remote control for iTunes.
    Hum, that's interesting. Kind of like reverse DUN. Maybe if you had a Bt dongle on your computer, you could do this. I'll see what I can find out.
    Detroit, in theory it could work if you use bluetooth to set up a local network, then for the address in palmVNC you'd use 192.168.0.1 (or is it x.x.1.1?).
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSongBird

Uh... why not just use sailing clicker for this?

http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I didn't know about sail clicker. It sounds interesting.

I'd still like to try VNC.

I don't have a bluetooth adaptor yet but notice there are different classes of adaptors. Any recommendations on which class to get?

Thanks!
    I got the cheap one at Wal-Mart and it works great for $25. It only works for about 15 to 20 feet, though, but that's fine with me.
  18. cpd
    need quick help for a new user please.
    can any one tell me how to right click items on screen using a treo 650 and Palm vnc. I tryed using the send , right click option did not work.. thank you