Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    just like the title said, I am in the us and I am using a Sprint 650. any help would be appreciated. Please type a full number so I can see how, i.e. do I need 011 or not?
    Treoing & Loving it
    I frequently SMS to Mexico. The dialing sequence I use is 011 + the country code + the city code + the 8 digit phone number. You might want to consult with your specific carrier to verify their requirements.

Stalker768
    you should be able to do + country code area code number

e.g. +612nnnnnnnn where nnnnnnnn is the phone number of hte person you would want in Sydney Australia.
    The + should be interpreted by the carrier as whatever internaltional dialing code you need.
    If that doesn't work, in the USA you need 011 then followed by the country code, then the area code, then the phone number
    enter + then the country code followed by the number
    <p>So what if you're texting a U.S. cell that's in a foreign country, and you're still in the USA? Do you just addresss it as you normally would and hope for the best?</p>
    Angel

SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelFCh
    <p>So what if you're texting a U.S. cell that's in a foreign country, and you're still in the USA? Do you just addresss it as you normally would and hope for the best?</p>

if in the US
    sending to another carrier to in a foreign country
    011+country code+area code+mobile number (you can substiture 011 with a plus (+) sign
    sending to a US carrier in a foreign country
    send as normal (area code)+mobile number or +1 (area code) + mobile number
    AngelFch,
    That depends - are they "roaming" in the other country?
    If yes, then you simply sen dit to their USA nased number and the carrier should raote it to their phone overseas.
    In every and all situations the correct method for dialling or sending a SMS on the GSM network is:

+ Country Code, Area Code, Number
    for eg. to dial a US GSM number (regardless of where the person/phone might be at the moment)
    +1 555-666-7777 (1 = US country code, 555 = area code/city code, 666-7777 = number)
    The same structure applies for any GSM number anywhere in the world and this is regardless of where the called phone may be at the moment.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I agree with Sanjay. Don't use '011' at the start of the number because that particular sequence is peculiar to North America. If you went to Europe with your phone you would not be able to directly use your Contacts list without editing it first - the international dialing prefix in Europe is '00' (in most European countries at least). Consider storing all your phone numbers with '+' then the coutry code etc. This way, you can use your Contacts list wherever you are in the world, without editing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay
    In every and all situations the correct method for dialling or sending a SMS on the GSM network is:

+ Country Code, Area Code, Number
    for eg. to dial a US GSM number (regardless of where the person/phone might be at the moment)
    +1 555-666-7777 (1 = US country code, 555 = area code/city code, 666-7777 = number)
    The same structure applies for any GSM number anywhere in the world and this is regardless of where the called phone may be at the moment.
    Sanjay (and others),

I am in US (614 yyy yyyy) on Cingular (GSM). If I want to SMS a mobile phone in Calcutta (91 94 33xxxxxx), will dialing this (+91 94 33xxxxxx) be good enough?

Will they have to send SMS to me by dialing (+1 614 yyy yyyy)?

What about a voice call to this mobile phone from my mobile phone? Does that need the 011?

Finally, for them to dial a voice call, do they dial with a + (ie, the same digits as for SMS to me +1 614 yyy yyyy)?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Sanjay (and others),

I am in US (614 yyy yyyy) on Cingular (GSM). If I want to SMS a mobile phone in Calcutta (91 94 33xxxxxx), will dialing this (+91 94 33xxxxxx) be good enough?

What about a voice call to this mobile phone from my mobile phone? Does that need the 011?

Finally, for them to dial a voice call, do they dial with a + (ie, the same digits as for SMS to me +1 614 yyy yyyy)?

Yes, that would work.
    What about mobile-to-mobile voice calls?

Will +91 94 33xxxxxx work from US to India, and +1 614 yyy yyyy work from India (or anywhere) to USA?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    just like the title said, I am in the us and I am using a Sprint 650. any help would be appreciated. Please type a full number so I can see how, i.e. do I need 011 or not?
    Why are people going off on tangents about GSM, "+" instead of "011" etc etc...

gt5l is using Sprint (CDMA) in the U.S.

To answer your question, it is actually tricky, currently if you search through the SprintPCS website you will find a list of different mobile phone carriers in various countries that you can send an SMS to from your SprintPCS phone. HOWEVER Sprint is in the process of making it so you can SMS anyone, but it it doesn't work that well quite yet, which is why they haven't officially announced that feature.

So to send a SMS you do need 011-COUNTRY CODE-NUMBER

Please note that some countries have different systems, for instance you might see a British Number that starts with "0" but you only dial that "0" if you are INSIDE the UK, if you aren't, then you don't.

Here is a good website:

http://kropla.com/dialcode.htm
    This is the best site I have ever found for international dialing and texting. allows you to look up what you need to input and what the person you are sending to would need to use to send one to you.

http://www.countrycallingcodes.com/
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    If you're having trouble sending a text message from the US to another country, see if your foreign friend can text message you first. Then reply to that message -- the number you're replying may have the right digits.
    Sanjay (and others),

Yes, in both cases, i.e for you to send a SMS and/or make a voice call to that number in Kolkatta, you have to dial '+91 94-33X-XXXXX'

What about mobile-to-mobile voice calls?

Will +91 94 33xxxxxx work from US to India, and +1 614 yyy yyyy work from India (or anywhere) to USA?
    Yes, '+91 94-33X-XXXXX' will work from the US to India and in the case from India (or anywhere) to USA, '+1 614-yyy-yyyy' will work as long as the call is being originated from a GSM network. In case the person calling you from India calls from a landline phone, the number idalled would be, '00 1-614-yyy-yyyy'.

Why '+' instead of '011', because '011' is the international access code in the US only and is diferrent in other countries for eg. in India the International Access Code is '00', whereas '+' is the International Access Code on 'ALL' GSM networks regardless of where in the world you may be.

PS: Some info regarding numbers in India:

Country Code = 91
    Each City/Town/Village has it's own STD Code. STD Code = Subscriber Dialling Code (Long Distance Code)
    Mobile Phones don't use the City STD Code. Mobile phones have STD codes as below:
    GSM Network STD Codes:
    All Private Company GSM networks = 98
    BSNL & MTNL (Government Companies) GSM network = 94
    CDMA Network STD Codes:
    Tata Infocom = 92
    Reliance Telecom = 93
    MTNL (Government company) = 94
    Last edited by Sanjay; 07/18/2005 at 01:25 AM.

Thanks Sanjay for the very informative post on SMS and voice calls to India. I have found two exceptions regarding sending SMS to Calcutta. My SMS to BSNL GSM (STD code 94) and Reliance CDMA (STD code 93) never reaches if I send them to +91 94 33xxxxxx or +91 93 33xxxxxx.

The workaround that has worked for me is to send the SMS as emails from the SMS application. The email addresses are:

For BSNL : 919433xxxxxx@irply.net
    For Reliance: 919333xxxxxx@ri.irisme.net

I keep these as additional email addresses in the contact information and I can select them in stead of the mobile phone numbers from the SMS application. I got these addresses by asking my contacts in Calcutta to SMS me first.

Note, for the Reliance phone users in Calcutta, this process is transparent. That is, he/she can send SMS to +1 614 yyy yyyy. On the other hand, BSNL users will have to send their SMS to you via your email gateway:

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net
    Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com
    Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com

where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number

Edit: I may be wrong about the specifics of how BSNL and Reliance users should send SMS to US. It has been a while and I may have got the details mixed up betwen the two providers.

In Treo (with T-Mobile), we can directly enter an email address in the "To:" field of the SMS program. In other phones the email address has to be the first thing in the body of the message and it has to be sent to a special number. I don't know what that number is for BSNL in India.

I hope this helps

PrioTreo
    Last edited by PrioTreo; 07/17/2005 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Clarification
    I have had horrible luck with Sprint and International SMS. Sometimes I am able to receive messages from England and Asia, but sometimes not. Best I can tell I have about a 1/3 success rate.

My company phone is Cingular and I have 100 percent success. However I wonder if my company can read my personal text messages. hmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by PrioTreo
    I have found two exceptions regarding sending SMS to Calcutta. My SMS to BSNL GSM (STD code 94) and Reliance CDMA (STD code 93) never reaches if I send them to +91 94 33xxxxxx or +91 93 33xxxxxx.

The workaround that has worked for me is to send the SMS as emails from the SMS application. The email addresses are:

For BSNL : 919433xxxxxx@irply.net
    For Reliance: 919333xxxxxx@ri.irisme.net
    Personally for me the '+' method has never failed, regardless of who and where I want to call (voice) and/or SMS to. I have all, i.e. GSM, CDMA & Landline numbers stored in my phone book in this manner and I have over a thousand contacts all with multiple numbers in my phonebook. If for some reason this method is not working for you then the problem lies with your service provider and you should contact them. The '+' method is part of the GSM protocol and is in fact the recommended method, to make all calls and/or to send a SMS.

PS: One important thing to remember is that the '+' method applies to calls originating from GSM networks only.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 07/18/2005 at 01:46 AM.

I tried it, but it seems not work. Something wrong?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast