1.    #1  
    I've got an ATT 650 that I unlocked with a code given me by Cingular.

I'm a bit confused by which firmware I can use.

Will there be a difference between Palm and Cingular upgrades?

Are there ATT specific upgrades?

My phone is a very early version -- one of the first sold by ATT. It works well and I don't want to upgrade unless it will:

(1) Enable DUN (most important);
    (2) Increase volume (somewhat important); and,
    (3) Fix memory problem (not as important).

TIA

sjh
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiefire
    I've got an ATT 650 that I unlocked with a code given me by Cingular.

I'm a bit confused by which firmware I can use.

Will there be a difference between Palm and Cingular upgrades?

Are there ATT specific upgrades?

My phone is a very early version -- one of the first sold by ATT. It works well and I don't want to upgrade unless it will:

(1) Enable DUN (most important);
    (2) Increase volume (somewhat important); and,
    (3) Fix memory problem (not as important).

TIA

sjh

I have an early AT&T 650 too. I made the switch to the unlocked GSM update and am very happy. The whole firmware upgrade thing is confusing as you are confusing "unlocked" versus "unlocked" Let me try to explain.

First, updating to the latest "Unlocked GSM 1.28" at PalmOne answers your three questions this way:

* It does enable DUN, works great for me.

* call quality is better but volume is actually a little bit lower (no matter if you upgrade the ROM or not, this software here fixes the volume issue: http://gotreosoftware.com/modules.ph...article&sid=10)

* memory problem is fixed.

The confusing part is that having an "unlocked" phone is not going to mean you can simply update your phone with the "Unlocked GSM" update over at PalmOne. That ROM update is technically for phones that were originally sold as "Unlocked" meaning they came with the firmware for Unlocked phones. When you unlocked your phone through Cingular you just unlocked the phone but the firmware is still Cingular.

If you want to update the ROM/Firmware you are going to have to install a beta ROM/Firmware first and then update to the 1.28 on the PalmOne site. The issue is that when you install the Unlocked GSM update it looks for the name of the ROM you have. Since you have CNG or AWS (not ROW ("Rest of the World")) on your phone, it won't let you do it. But the beta ROMs don't check for that. So you update to the beta ROM then to the 1.28...

It's a 2 step process, there is a thread in here that details the entire thing.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    I am durious who you got Cingular to unlock your phone. I have an original ATT hone as well and Cingular says tey cann ot give me the unlock code.
    I'm on ATTWS. Cingular won't give the unlock code when I called.

Who or what # you got the unlock code from? and what is the unlock code format?
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
  5.    #5  
    I unlocked months ago.

I can't remember exactly who I called -- there were a whole bunch of numbers being circulated on Howards Forum and I called one of them.

The person I asked told me she couldn't do it. I asked her to talk with her supervisor.

She came back and gave me an 8 number code.

I think a very big part of their decision to unlock my phone was that I had been with ATT for 12 years and I told them I was not going to take the phone and move to another carrier. And, they could see from my records that I traveled a lot.

No reason for anyone to be dubious. There are many people who have had identical experiences. As I posted, it seems to depend on who you get on the phone.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Cingular CAN unlock ATT phones..it just usally takes a phone call over to the ATT section of the building to get the codes, but I know it can be done. I have not had it done becuase I dont really have a need for it at the moment and I dont feel like begging anyone for 30 minutes on the phone for something...so when I need it I will, but I was told by a Cingular rep that they can do it and do it all the time for ATT phones.

rob
  7. r0n
    Persistence would be a big part of it. If you get someone that won't give you the code. Call back and try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    Cingular CAN unlock ATT phones..it just usally takes a phone call over to the ATT section of the building to get the codes, but I know it can be done. I have not had it done becuase I dont really have a need for it at the moment and I dont feel like begging anyone for 30 minutes on the phone for something...so when I need it I will, but I was told by a Cingular rep that they can do it and do it all the time for ATT phones.

rob
    Yes, Cingular can get it done (I have had it done by Cingular) but they don't have to call AT&T for the code, my Cingular CSR did it right on the phone (looked up the unlock code based upon my IMEI). The reason Cingular has to call AT&T side of "the building" is that Cingular still doesn't have access to most of the pertinent billing records that prove you are eligible for the unlock as per Cingular's rules. I have heard AT&T is actually finally giving out unlock codes too, but if you call Cingular just be patient and tell them "yes indeed you guys do do this" tell them AT&T told you to call Cingular. Make it one of those "I have been told 400 different things today and you are my last resort
    " type of calls and the CSR might help you. They are too swamped with called often to want to take the time to call over to ATT to get the verification but if you are persistent (but nice) and talk to the right person they will do this for you...
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    To answer the original question, your ATTWS phone is a Cingular phone as regards to software, and takes Cingular updates. Or you can follow the above advice and switch to the unbranded software, which I did. This has no effect on the lock status of your phone.
  10.    #10  
    Are there any Cingular updates?

Do they unlock DUN?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiefire
    Are there any Cingular updates?

Do they unlock DUN?

Thanks.
    No and nobody knows when it will be updated and if it will allow DUN. Do a search and you will see that this has been discussed in several threads if you want to find out more.