Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Now it might sounds odd but according to the forum I went to someone has put up a "Radio upgrade 1.30" that will upgrade your GSM model 650 to firmware version 1.3. I did the upgrade and I did not notice anything different but the "Firmware" version in the Phone Info page.

Should I put it up here and let the people figure it out?

BTW here is the original post: http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...259812&fpage=1

EDIT: Snap shot
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SteveDu; 07/02/2005 at 08:24 PM.
  2. amf
    The page is in Japanese/chinese? Is there a readme file? Can you post the upgrade? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by amf
    The page is in Japanese/chinese? Is there a readme file? Can you post the upgrade? Thanks!
    According to the posts on Hi-PDA, there is no noticeable improvement after this upgrade. Several people asked about the source of the package. But nobody knows.
    If you can read it, please keep us posted to any new developments. thanks.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    It's in Simplified Chinese, yes according to the feedbacks no body knows what it improved nor where it was from.

Here's the update: GSM Radio/Firmware 1.3 Update (my own hosting) , just sync it to your Treo and run the "Firmware Updater". Best plug the power in too.
    Last edited by SteveDu; 07/02/2005 at 09:12 PM.
  6. amf
    Anyone tried it? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77
    If you can read it, please keep us posted to any new developments. thanks.
    Google can translate it, but the result is akin to a really bad "Jinglish" manual!

I wonder if "Promoted 1. 28, afterwards again promoted Firmware Updater 1.30, detected the electric bell sound was small" means that it addresses the long DTMF tone issue that many folks have been complaining about post-1.28.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Sounds like another PalmOne circle jerk... pardon the dark pun.

It is now painfully obvious that they have no intention of supporting the majority of BT headsets or providing common sense menu fixes.
    Hi, this update seems to be for C2O, palmone distributor in Asia. Zip file was made July 2 but files inside are date June 2. The official rom upgrade was released Mid June right. So why is 1.28 older than 1.30? I have it installed already. After 99 percent, it just reset. (I hard reset and restored handzipper. Unzipped the file and upgraded treo) Normally there's still an event after , like when you update the full rom.

After restore and Profile care activation, phone info shows firmware 1.30 It seems db cache seems to hold longer and is not extinguished as fast. Will be monitoring this and post once confirmed.
    Last edited by MFB; 07/03/2005 at 11:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BTman
    Sounds like another PalmOne circle jerk
    Ha, Ha, Hardy, Har, Har.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Google can translate it, but the result is akin to a really bad "Jinglish" manual!

I wonder if "Promoted 1. 28, afterwards again promoted Firmware Updater 1.30, detected the electric bell sound was small" means that it addresses the long DTMF tone issue that many folks have been complaining about post-1.28.
    LOL well let me translate that for you... what they were saying is that some people found out the ringing volume has reduced after the upgrade... well I didn't have that issue, and I don't notice anything different neither... about the DTMF thing... no, stilll the same.
  12. amf
    I took the plunge and installed this fw upgrade. I did a hard reset before I installed the upgrade files. After the install, my phone resets by itself. I then checked phone info and it says fw 1.30. I restored using Backupman and all went fine. I am using DBCache tool and DBCache DA. When I check DBCache, it is a bit higher (8.9MB+) than it used to be.

I then did a Hotsync. It stops at Contacts. I cancelled the hotsync and did another hotsync. This time it went fine.

So far, no other differences can be observed.
    Here are my initial observations:

Db cache is used more efficiently. Previously using blazer just depletes db cache.But now upon exiting, db cache level is returned to its previous level before launching blazer or is even higher! However, I only noticed this with certain apps. Some apps such as Resco Explorer do not return db cache. But hey, this is an improvement! I still have a higher than normal db cache level at this time of the day. I may just be spared from a reset today

Upgrading to 1.28 last June did affect my speaker volume. I alleviated this by using volume care but that app didnt have any effect with Audible. With 1.3, the volume is back with Audible(I listen to my ebooks while bathing) . I suppose Palmone did fix this bug introduced in 1.28

So far, these are what I've noticed with the new firmware.
    Funny how a new firmware is out already. Where's 1.29 anyway? Guess we shouldn't expect sequential numbers like that, but 1.30 is really quite a quick release after 1.28. I will try tonight!
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I am just wondering, can one install this 1.30 on top of a custom 1.28 ROM? I noticed that the file for 1.30 is only >1.2MB compared to the >7MB 1.28 ROM file (this is just the "base" ROM file, with versamail, etc removed). Does this mean that this update only parts of the ROM?
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    DocGo,

You can try but someone at hipda did try and was unable to upgrade from a custom rom. Be wary of a custom rom as it depletes the available db cache on the treo. Check out the thread I started at Shadowmite.com (Forums, Treo 650, Major Problem with DB Cache Using Custom Rom tool)
    I did the update now. It didn't affect my custom rom.
    But it didn't also make any difference to my db cache size which is very small because of the custom rom.

Btw, are you aware of the problem of loss in dbcache with custom rom ?
    discussed here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=89187
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    How much dbcache do you have left after installing your custom rom? So, if this is small/very small, will it cause those random reset problems? I had a few of them but using Crash's log, there is no info on what caused the crash/reset.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkeraktuna
    I did the update now. It didn't affect my custom rom.
    But it didn't also make any difference to my db cache size which is very small because of the custom rom.

Btw, are you aware of the problem of loss in dbcache with custom rom ?
    discussed here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=89187
    I have previously discussed this at MTDN, in the 1.28/1.13 sd custom thread. It was first an investigation on the validity of Cyberiser's aceplamos.zip source which was the same as the 1.23 package. Customizing this showed me the db cache irregularity. However, thread ended as posters involved didn't think it was that important. I then started a thread at Shadowmite. Currently there is some progess and investigation going on. Shadowmite is already involved, hope a workaround is forthcoming. Btw, I posted about the db cache problem at the custom sprint 1.12 thread of TC. Nobody even reacted or commented. It seems everyone was just too excited to customize.

I'm currently using 1.30/1.13 standard rom. The ram savings of a custom can be easily duplicated by running apps from powerrun. Best of all . db cache level is normal. On my empty standard rom treo. db cache is 10968k. Custom rom with my prcs, its 8800k. That's 2+mb of db cache lost. This means a reset will happen much faster. Is it worth the trouble?
    Last edited by MFB; 07/04/2005 at 11:46 PM.
    Sorry to all, Is FW 1.30 stable? Thanks.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast