Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    After reverting back from 1.30 to 1.28 my Treo is a lot more unstable than when I first installed 1.28 and did a clean install on all my apps. By unstable I mean that I am seeing Treo slows downs that require a soft reset to fix.

Based on Tom's feedback I am thinking about trying 1.30 and manually reinstalling all my apps (AGAIN!). Putting in the registration codes is okay, but getting Zlauncher back to were I want it always takes a bit of time.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I'm golden after going back to 1.28. I just restored with backupman. Not one slowdown since Monday.
    I believe I finally found the best feature of this 1.30 upgrade.

I've given up on the latest dbcache tool properly working with my treo so I uninstalled it for good. However I did leave dbcache da so I can monitor dbcache levels via mcphling pop up. So I tried a day without it. I wanted to see how much max dbcache I would have left before having a reset.

In the past with 1.28, having a 2mb max would make my treo reset. I launched 4 apps from card via power run namely village sim, spreadsheet docs to go and a backup with resco explorer. Free dbcache would fluctuate as exiting apps would release what was used. However, this is not the same for max db cache. Max gets depleted and is never replenished.

After going back and fourth launching all apps on my treo just to get max below 2000k, I reached 1950k. I thought a reset was inevitable at this point but it didn't happen. Launching explorer and then exiting back to my launcher I was surprised at what happened : Max was restored to 3117k. Dbcache tool can never do this. Definitely the older firmwares were never like this. For those with 1.30, can you try doing what I did and verify if this is also happening with your treos?

If dbcache is indeed being replenished to 3100k plus when max dbcache reaches a value lower than 1950k ,then the treo will not reset due to db cache depletion. Still no unwanted resets as of this time even with heavy launching and use. I'm actually posting now from my treo. :-) *I used dbcache da of db cache tool to easily monitor dbcache levels via mcphing pop up (I configured it to launch on the right by holding the sms button)

By the way. I'm using a 1.13 custom rom (just removed non en languages, real,tutorial files, versa files, all tips and calculator to increase max dbcache available to the treo) with 1.30 firmware. With free ram at 9mb, my dbcache max and free starts a little bit above 9000k. I have ProfileCare, VolumeCare , Butler, UDMH 3.0, Jot , ClipPro and Textplus running in the background at start up too.
    Last edited by MFB; 07/13/2005 at 10:36 AM.
    update: When max db cache reaches almost the 2000k level, max is automatically replenished to 2900k. I'm still trying to make my treo reset but its still stable.
    Anyone care to test what I posted above? I eventually got it to reset with free dbcache lower than the size of the file launched.

To avoid a reset, files launched from card shouldn't exceed available free dbcache. Ram files shouldn't have any issues. I haven't crashed fro files launched from ram. But then again, there shouldn't be a problem if you have a reset once a day.(I configured Profile Care to reset when my day profile launches at 6am)
    ever since I went from v1.23 to the 1.28 my phone has gone to pot (it was a full hard reset even) ...

I'm going to try v1.30. dah.
    Can appreciate your feelings 1.30 will not help - deals mainly with the radio - would suggest you re-flash 1.28 and make sure all your apps are up to date. Unfortunately it is not the rom but the backup files you are restoring that are causing the problem - which ones are not clearly identified or known.
    My experience is that 1.30 did not fix any major problems except the radio and since you do not have to do a hard reset to install 1.30 - I doubt your problems will go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stack
    1.30 will not help - deals mainly with the radio -

What do you mean with "deal mainly with the radio"? WHAT does it doe (better/worse)?
    I would also appreciate if somebody could post pro / contra of the 1.30
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    The reason there isn't much info about 1.30 is that it's not really an official update. Apparently Palm released it for the Asian region only. Read the first few posts of this thread for more detail.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I've uninstalled 1.30 as it has given me system instability on three occasions. I was forced to do a hardreset everytime as my net prefs db kept on getting corrupted and soft resetting my device. Im pretty stable with 1.28
    I also tried 1.30 for a couple of days for the heck of it and went back to 1.28 -- it didn't seem to make any noticeable changes to reception or sound quality, and I kept getting crash after crash (all seemingly related to the dbcache change...all errors were related to MemoryMgr.c), and battery usage seemed to increase quite a bit.

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    Quote Originally Posted by roamer1
    I also tried 1.30 for a couple of days for the heck of it and went back to 1.28 -- it didn't seem to make any noticeable changes to reception or sound quality, and I kept getting crash after crash (all seemingly related to the dbcache change...all errors were related to MemoryMgr.c), and battery usage seemed to increase quite a bit.

-SC
    Did battery usage increase with 1.30 or 1.28?
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

----
    JK
    i dont know if any one else seen this or not if you upgrade from 1.28 to 1.30 i was not able to receive any MMS messages. can some on confirm that ??
    Quote Originally Posted by cali0028
    i dont know if any one else seen this or not if you upgrade from 1.28 to 1.30 i was not able to receive any MMS messages. can some on confirm that ??
    what happens when you try to receive mms ?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234