Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I just ran the updater too. Thanks for pointing out that the installed app is called GSM updater. I was looking for something called Firmware updater.

I am hoping the radio update might shorten the search times or reduce the number of times that my Treo switches on/off when in a weak signal area like my home office.

I will let you know.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  2. amf
    Quote Originally Posted by noc
    sorry, i'm not seeming to get it. i downloaded, unzipped and the file indeed is called firmware updater along with the other files in the folder. downloaded successfully (says so in the log) but my phone still says 1.28 and 1.13. what's wrong?
    Ran/open/tap the GSM UPDATER file.
    I ran the update yesterday and my reception has gotten worse. I have had 3 freeze-ups just today alone. Ever since I switched to Cingular and they removed the priority of the t-mobile network here in Northern NJ and NYC, I have had nothing but problems(dropped calls, busy signals, slowdowns, freeze ups, etc...) . I thought maybe 1.30 would help, but it looks like it didn't. I'm going back to 1.28. Anyone else on Cingular having signal and reception issues? I never had any problems with t-mobile using the same unlocked 650.
    How are you going to downgrade from 1.30 to 1.28?
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    How are you going to downgrade from 1.30 to 1.28?
    Just use the 1.28 updater. You should get back fw 1.28
    yup
    Update to 1.3 or remain on 1.28

Any comments??
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    It seems to have fixed an issue where as my phone would report that I had "no service" but would have strong signal...and I could place or recieve calls without issue. so not sure what that was all about...but havent seen it since I applied the update.

rob
    I stand corrected...my "no service" problem is back

rob
    It sure would be nice to see some release notes on what was fixed in the 1.30 firmware.
    My experience with firmware 1.30 wasn't good. My phone became unstable, resetting a few times a day. I reinstalled 1.28 and the problems disappeared.
    I have not heard many good things about 1.30 and I just had my first Treo slowdown. I am going to follow the crowd and go back to 1.28.
    Last edited by swieder; 07/10/2005 at 10:06 PM.
    well. I'm back on 1.28. That and dbcache tool 0.2a have made my treo more stable than ever. If you haven't already tried the latest version of dbcachetool, I suggest you do.
    After trying 1.3 for a few days, i reverted back to 1.28 - much more stable and i did not notice any difference w/1.3 personally.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    "...much more stable..." Stable in what way...?

rob
    mostly i had, and now have again, almost no resets w/1.28 vs. 1.3; where as with 1.3 the treo reset about 3 to 5 times a day.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    I am always amazed at how quirky some updates are on different user configurations. For me 1.30 is very stable better sound. volume etc than 1.28. What I did find is that restoring all the files from one version to the next - is usually the culprit on resets - have not identified which files but I find that if I do not overwrite the majority of the new system files that come with the update - all updates seem to work smoothly.
    I can do this by controlling my third party app BackupBuddy so not everyone has this advantage. So my answer to is 1.30 more stable than 1.28 - maybe for you but definitely for me.
    Tom -

I did install 1.30 on top of 1.28. I think your advice is correct about reinstalling apps being the best way to have a stable system. I would be intestest in hearing more about you experience with 1.30 especially on stability and percieved benefits.

Are you hearing an improvement in sound quality and sound volume? I am using VC 3.01 to address the volume issue.
    Stable for me too, installed it over 1.28 without doing a hard reset. No slowdowns or signal problems
    I did not do a hard reset on 1.30 either and I am not convinced you have to reinstall all your files. What I did not do was over write the new system files that were installed and any sms files or logs.
    What I mean by stable - I have not had any resets - did not have many anyway - volume is now consistent using the back speaker, wirelees Treo headset and front speaker for my ear and the other person. Audible is definitely better using headphones or the back speaker. Had the the update for the last three weeks. Works in all environments except really noisy like buses, airports, cars and trains but then again I never found a phone I hear real well in those environs anyway especailly talking to another cell user. I find using the jabra gel on the headset was the best thing I did. Never did understand the test was to hear someone in a convertible with the top down.
    I also have volume care now using 3.01 - find it helps on the street, airports, subways, buses but not as much after the update.
    I have used 1.30 for a couple of weeks (Cingular branded, unlocked, Cingular Orange SIM) and not noticed anything different, with the possible exception that if I call a speed dial a number that I have set to enter a touchtone code (my office voicemail), I cannot switch to speakerphone until the code is entered. It won't allow me to select the speakerphone option while the code is still being played. I had not noticed this previously, but the longer tones after 1.28 may actually be the issue.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast