Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Hi all,

My company is switching carriers to Verizon, and I wanted to purchase the 650. I've read some problems regarding the RF on the 650, and was hoping to get some feedback, especially if you're using 650 with Verizon. Thanks for any help.
    If you're talking about the little buzzes and interference, no, I don't get them. I do get a buzz if I go out of signal range and into Roam, but other than that, I've never experienced any problem.

I'm thinking you're specifically concerned about interference. If this isn't what you're talking about, let me know.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Boy, do I ever get this weird electronic-sounding interference noise. And in certain places, it is terrifyingly loud. Really!

Usually, I hear nothing as my Treo 650 (Cingular) moves data back and forth. But in my bedroom, we have a fan in the window and a small TV with rabbit-ears antenna and I hear the little buzzing electronic noise a bit more when the fan is on (doesn't matter whether TV is on), and it's annoying to me because it annoys my wife.

But the real calamity is when I'm in the study as I am right now. Here at my desk, I have 3 things which seem to be a huge problem: Apple iBook, connected via WiFi to Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (also on desk), and JBL corded speakers (corded, not wireless speakers) plugged into iBook headphone jack. If speakers are off, I might hear a bit of the tinny-buzzing electonic noise when the Treo "talks" to the network (or whatever it is doing). But if the speakers are on to listen to music or streaming internet stuff, the quiet subtle buzzing noise is amplified to a terrifying blare, even when the speaker volume is set quite low. The baby screams, I'm jolted by the unexpected loud noise, and my wife just gets confirmation that all this electronic stuff is not for the best.

Go figure. Anyone care to explain this phenomenon to me and others who haven't taken physics since high school?
    -- Josh
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    GSM phones are notorious for inducing a characteristic buzz/noise in amplified speakers and other audio electronics. The 650 is no different here. I don't think CDMA phones do quite the same thing - I don't know why. It tends to happen most when the phone is switching temporarily to a higher power mode to locate a tower.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    GSM phones are notorious for inducing a characteristic buzz/noise in amplified speakers and other audio electronics. The 650 is no different here. I don't think CDMA phones do quite the same thing - I don't know why. It tends to happen most when the phone is switching temporarily to a higher power mode to locate a tower.
    Sounds like the case. I have VZW so that's not GSM and I don't have this problem. The only time I have problems on any phone is if I'm standing next to a running Microwave, which I shouldn't be doing anyway.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    The only time I have problems on any phone is if I'm standing next to a running Microwave, which I shouldn't be doing anyway.

Pamela
    This is factually incorrect. You can you be standing next to something that's running? Is it running in place?? Explain your nonsense.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    I have a Moto V60 on VZW that does that all the time, even when I am stationary. Very annoying. It's the kind of sound that you would expect to hear when you see Agent Smith or one of his cronies move into another virtual body in the Matrix
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Thanks for responding everyone! Great forum! Actually, my concern is more for the reception of the 650. I realize all carriers have dropped calls, etc., but I also know that some phones have better reception than others. I don't want to purchase the 650 only to find out it's not very good as a phone. I currently carry a phone and a Tungsten C, so to combine the two would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    This is factually incorrect. You can you be standing next to something that's running? Is it running in place?? Explain your nonsense.
    No. Figure it out.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pvpjohn
    Thanks for responding everyone! Great forum! Actually, my concern is more for the reception of the 650. I realize all carriers have dropped calls, etc., but I also know that some phones have better reception than others. I don't want to purchase the 650 only to find out it's not very good as a phone. I currently carry a phone and a Tungsten C, so to combine the two would be great.
    While opinions will differ, I can only speak for myself. I've had a Panasonic bag phone (going WAYYYY back), Audiovox Tri-Modes, the Motorola 120 and the T730 (which was my last before the 650). The 650 blows away the reception on all of them. I do get reception in the house (which I never had), as well as in the grocery store and Wal-Mart (which I never could really). Anyway, that's me. I'm sure others will beg to differ, but I'm a very happy camper with my 650.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    I would agree with you completely. I had started a thread a few days ago (LINK: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=88818 ATTEMPTING to find out what people thought of the radio in the phone -- cross carriers...only problem is that I just now realized that in the poll I was basically asking them how good of coverage/quality they get with their service provider.

I'm prolly about to start another poll comparing their 650 radio to previous phones' radios and/or their friends' current phones. Yea, that sounds like a much better poll to me, 'cause I already knew CDMA beats out GSM. GSM's supposed to do better inside thick walls, but I still get perfect landline quality calls inside my Wal-Mart. My mom's phone, however, also Sprint, does not get reception in that place.

Umm...I'm about to go start that new thread. Wish I woulda just done it right the first time.