1.    #1  
    My family and I travel out of the country, mostly to canada, and I wanted to know if there is a service provider in the US that I can use to get data service (email and web) while I am travelling in Canada or Europe?

Do I need a sim card (I am currently with Sprint, but willing to switch) and is it even possible? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    cj
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    You need to have a GSM (Cingular or T-Mobile) phone to travel to most other countries. I don't know if Canada has CDMA (Sprint and Verizon) towers or not, but Europe definitely does not.

Unfortunatly international roaming with both Cingular and T-Mobile is very expensive (on the order of $1-$2+ per minute for talk time depending on what country you're in). T-Mobile is slightly cheaper than Cingular here. I also don't believe that any US provider offers unlimited international data, but I know you can get data access internationally through Cingular for around $0.02/K.

The cheapest option for international roaming is to get a GSM phone and then use a prepaid SIM from a carrier in the country you're in. This will be much cheaper for calling (I did it in China when my wife and I were traveling and if I remember right it was around $0.40 cents/minute to call the US and something like $0.07 cents/minute for calls within China. If I had been using my Cingular SIM it would have been $2.99 per minute for either type of call). The only disadvantage to this is that you get a new number for your phone that's tied to the country you're in. If you have a lot of people in the US that need to get a hold of you while you're traveling, then they'll need to make an international call to get you. If you keep your US SIM then they'll just be able to dial your regular US number. On the other hand, if you need to be contacted by a lot of people in the country you're in, then it would be benificial to have a new number there so they don't have to call internationally to get you.

HTH,
    Brett
    Just as an FYI, I was recently in Vancouver B.C., and received a hefty bill for data usage through Cingular. Turns out the international roaming charge for data ran 0.06$/kb.

-------------
    NUKE
    T650 - FW 1.31, SW 1.15G
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I used GPRS in Mexico (AT&T/Cingular) last week. Worked fine. I have no idea how much it cost, I was using it for work, and they pay the bill.

Local SIMs are great for lower phone prices. The problem based on what I've read elsewhere, is that prepaid local SIMs don't always support data. So you'd need to check to make sure the SIM you bought would actually let you use GPRS. I'm sure it would be a bunch cheaper if you could make it work.
    Last edited by santa; 07/01/2005 at 02:35 PM.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nuke
    Just as an FYI, I was recently in Vancouver B.C., and received a hefty bill for data usage through Cingular. Turns out the international roaming charge for data ran 0.06$/kb.

ahhhh.... good thing I don't have to pay my bill!
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Any Verizon users know what the roaming situation is in Canada? i am wondering about phone and data both.
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Is the Sprint 5 dollar unlimited roaming used outside of the U.S. ? Also, if you are in the U.S. can you still use the web while roaming and is that covered?
    Quote Originally Posted by dheymann
    Any Verizon users know what the roaming situation is in Canada? i am wondering about phone and data both.
    1) there is TDMA provider (Rogers)
    2) There is CDMA providers (Bell & Telus)
    3) There are GSM providers (Rogers and Fido)

as for charges it depends on your provider.

But if you have a phone that is unlocked then you could buy a local sim and replace it. Then you rely on the local provider for charges both phone and data.

Oh before i forget... canadians do not live in igloos (well for the most part)
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    With CDMA roaming, you won't have SMS or data capabilities. It has to do with the roaming agreements. This is one area where GSM is much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by galambo
    1) there is TDMA provider (Rogers)
    2) There is CDMA providers (Bell & Telus)
    3) There are GSM providers (Rogers and Fido)

as for charges it depends on your provider.

But if you have a phone that is unlocked then you could buy a local sim and replace it. Then you rely on the local provider for charges both phone and data.

Oh before i forget... canadians do not live in igloos (well for the most part)
    Do Verizon phones (CDMA I think) even have Sim Cards? If so, how do you unlock a phone?
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    CDMA does not do SIM cards. The system is based on the carrier's network storing the IMEI, or wireless serial number, in the network/system. I know you can make a Sprint Treo work on Verizon, but I don't know if anyone has tried doing it the other way. The bottom line is, you can't really use Verizon phones on Sprint and vice versa.

Joe