1.    #1  
    Questions regarding Backup on the 650...

Has anyone successfully restored backups using VFSBackup??

Is there anything that BackupBuddy/Man/Resco/Whateva backs up that VFS doesn't??

I've tried both the built-in backup in Resco Explorer and VFSBackup....and they both appeared to do the same job to me. The only thing that both of them missed were Pics & Vids....apparently they're separate from ALL the other files. Is there anyway to back them up also?? Maybe just storing them on the SD card? I'm pretty sure that the number of files backed up by both VFS & Resco were different?? Which should I rely on?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
  2.    #2  
    Bumpin'!

Would a poll make this thread more attractive??

I just don't want to pay for another backup solution for my 650 when 2 exist...
    VFS or Resco?? Why?

What about the Pics & Vids?

Thanks again.
    I use InnerBackup, a simple backup/restore utility that appears to backup everything.

I just did a backup & restore after hart rest, and it gives me an "out of memorr" error before it is done. The good news is that all files are in the backup folder a regular files, you so can restore any of them you want by just copying them normally.

I have used it to restore only my saved preferneces with with great results - it's a bit awkward to do this - what I did was empty out a "backup" and then put in only the saved preferences file.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    I use InnerBackup, a simple backup/restore utility that appears to backup everything.

I just did a backup & restore after hart rest, and it gives me an "out of memorr" error before it is done. The good news is that all files are in the backup folder a regular files, you so can restore any of them you want by just copying them normally.

I have used it to restore only my saved preferneces with with great results - it's a bit awkward to do this - what I did was empty out a "backup" and then put in only the saved preferences file.
    Err...I used InnerBackup 'cause it was free, but it gave me some kind of error saying that the backup was corrupted - err...couldn't tell ya exactly since i'm not too fond of errors. So I find that VfsBackup (not to be confused with VFSBackup; sorry for the confusion above) is also free and didn't give me any errors, which makes me all smiles. It did, however, cause a reset when it was done...but, I guess that kinda makes sense now. Link to VfsBackup: http://www.planepla.net/vfsbackup.html

Anyway...just wondering if Vfs isn't a safe solution due to the NVFS??

OR if possibly explorer backs up something that Vfs doesn't?? OR vice versa?

If nobody has any further advice I'm prolly just gonna stick with the built-in backup in Resco Explorer (Link: http://www.resco.net/palm/explorer/) considering I paid for it and all. BTW, I really recommend both of Resco's products for Palm, especially Explorer since it's only $12...it's easily the best value out of any program bought to date!

I guess what it really boils down to is me looking for an excuse to use VfsBackup and add one more tally mark to the number of applications I can run on my phone and 99% of the people around me can't
    Backupbuddy VFS works perfectly for me, just keep pics and videos on the card, end of...
    BackupMan works great for me!

You can restor eindividual files which has been a real big help especially if you get corrupted Contact or Date folders with Outlook (since those arent backed up to the PC in sync normally).

it had some issues before the latest firmware upgrade where it would give out of memory type errors, but now it works great.

The only thing it would not restore was VoiceDial, and if I booted the 650 warm, it probably would have allowe that in.

http://www.bitsnbolts.com
  7.    #7  
    Sorry...but like I said...I'd prefer not to pay for another backup solution when 2 already exist on my handheld -- Resco Explorer and VfsBackup. They both appear to do the same job, so I'm prolly gonna ditch Vfs unless anybody has comments on either or both of these 2 programs.

Thanks again.